The Sword and Laser discussion

Recommendations for good teenage books with Dragons in them.

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, I have been ask to get a selections of books for some teenager girls and a boy who are into Dragons and I realized I don't really know of that many but then realized I know a great place to ask, here :). I could only think of Dragonlance which I thought would be a cool place to start. So could you guys recommend some age appropriate material for me to get for them.

Thanks everyone :)

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) I really liked Dragonriders of Pern-4v and I think it's age appropriate...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

wow that looks excellent and loads of books in the series, man I want to read them I have never read any Anne McCaffrey, nice one thanks.

message 4: by Ricky (new)

Ricky Holmes | 21 comments Eragon

....Oh wait, you said good books didn't you?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah lol preferably good :)

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments How about Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly? It was the first fantasy book that Brandon Sanderson read in 8th grade.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments The Temeraire series starting with His Majesty's Dragon.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) don't forget The Hobbit which i always thought was a good intro to all the fantasy tropes including dragons...

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments All Robin Hobb's books set in her Realm of the Elderlings world (so everything except Soldier Son) have dragony stuff going on. The great overarching story of the different trilogies involves dragons, though the books themselves are more about certain people and their personal struggles. The ones that are really about dragons though are the most recent: The Rain Wild Chronicles starting with The Dragon Keeper.

message 10: by Bryek (new)

Bryek | 273 comments Eragon which is good btw. it has some purple prose but as a teenager i enjoyed it immensely.
Dealing with Dragons Slightly younger than teenager but I read them at 18 and loved them. I don't think this is the first one but its the one i remember loving
Dragons of Autumn Twilight Best to start here and not far down the line. the characters and story are the best here and go down hill after the third trilogy or whatever book is Vanished Moon.
Dragonflight is more or less the first one and a good place to start.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments Kp wrote: "Eragon which is good btw. it has some purple prose but as a teenager i enjoyed it immensely."

My wife won't talk to me if I mention Eragon around her. She was the one who introduced me to His Majesty's Dragon and Dealing with Dragons (which is the first one).

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1152 comments Some of the R.A. Salvatore's books include the heroes fighting dragons. I just finished Servant of the Shard which ends with a battle with a red dragon and in The Crystal Shard Drizzt and Wulfgar fight a white dragon.

message 13: by Warren (last edited Dec 30, 2012 05:36PM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments A Book Dragon by Donna Kushner-
Its hard to find & only available in approve version.

message 14: by Bryek (new)

Bryek | 273 comments Kim wrote: "Kp wrote: "Eragon which is good btw. it has some purple prose but as a teenager i enjoyed it immensely."

My wife won't talk to me if I mention Eragon around her. She was the one who introduced me ..."

If it was the movie, i would understand.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1897 comments Ricky wrote: "Eragon

....Oh wait, you said good books didn't you?"

lol, I was tempted to say similar, but in fairness, the first book was enjoyable enough, and a very quick read, which is good for teens, and though the trilogy became increasingly annoying with its lack of originality, I guess if you are new to such stories, as, presumably, a lot of teens will be, it probably isn't a bad choice.

But yes, the film should be avoided... unless you want something terrible to rant about. ;)

message 16: by Marz (new)

Marz | 39 comments Voices of Dragons by Carrie Vaughn.

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicofeld) | 3 comments Just out this year, Seraphina is a wonderful take on dragons. For something near and dear to my childhood, I would recommend The Hero and the Crown.

Also, the Pern books as mentioned above.

message 18: by Jacy (new)

Jacy (jazabell) | 50 comments My son liked this series when he was 13. The Fire Within

message 19: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Palmer | 35 comments It's not a dragon like Eragon or Smaug, but Zahn's Dragon and Thief series is excellent.

message 20: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Mcclure Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C Wrede is the first in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles was always a favorite.

http://www.amazon.com/Dealing-Dragons...

message 21: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 314 comments The Dreamweaver's Journey: The Age of Awakenings Book 1. This has dragons in it but they don't play a major role, they are really interesting though. The main characters are teens and it is a coming of age.

Dragon Fate- I would say older teens upwards. It does have some adult naughtiness but it is implied. I read this recently and it is really good, just reading the sequel.

message 22: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments A couple oldies--Tea with the Black Dragon by MacAvoy and A Wizard of Earthsea by Le Guin.

A bit younger skewing is Coville's excellent Jeremy Thatcher Dragon Hatcher from his Magic Shop series.

I must correct the typo above, A Book Dragon is by Donn Kushner.

More recent books--they seem to have gone extinct. Dragons play a major role in The Enchantment Emporium by Huff, and a minor role in Wrede's Frontier Magic series (Thirteenth Child) but I'd second her Dealing with Dragons instead.

message 23: by Jacy (new)

Jacy (jazabell) | 50 comments I just thought of another series...Pillage, the main character is 15.

message 24: by byeol (new)

byeol (byeols) How about the Eon duology with an Asian flair? That one is definitely high up on my tbr pile this year.

message 25: by Aikuchi (new)

Aikuchi | 4 comments Not sure if this was mentioned but I think it has all the elements of adventure, magic, elves and dragons! Light handling of segregation (elf / human / magic / non magic users) and is age appropriate (little or no romance).

2 book series but they can pretty much be read stand alone as well

Elvenbane and Elvenblood
Andre Norton, Mercedes Lackey

message 26: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 149 comments Just finished rereading The Dark Lord of Derkholm, and there is a delightful dragon character, among all sorts of fun characters.

message 27: by Deb (new)

Deb F | 28 comments Kris wrote: "I really liked Dragonriders of Pern-4v and I think it's age appropriate..."

Depends how old the teens are, but as long as they're not very naive, Pern'll work beautifully.
If you're starting someone on Pern, I'd suggest you start with Dragonsong/Dragonsinger, which allow you to see the dragons from the outside (main characters are musicians), then progress to Dragonflight/Dragonquest, where the main characters are the riders.

message 28: by Deb (new)

Deb F | 28 comments You might also want to give Terry Pratchett's 'Guards! Guards!' a look. It has Dragons - of two varieties.

message 29: by RogueHireling (new)

RogueHireling (rogue_hireling) | 8 comments Just a quick word of advice. Read everything yourself before passing it on.

I recently re read the first pern book, which I read as a teenager and loved. Reading the story now as an adult, I was shocked to find there is quite a lot of abuse and some rape in the book. I hadn't remembered the books being quite so violent against women.

Anyway, read them yourself!

message 30: by Geir (new)

Geir (makmende) Finder's Stone trilogy (Forgotten realms):
Azure Bonds
The Wyvern's Spur
Song Of The Saurials

Dragons are central to the first two, and I found them all immensely enjoyable. May not be good for the very youngest of teens though.