Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Let's have a contest! - Best young adult villains

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Harold (last edited Jan 08, 2013 01:39PM) (new)

Harold Smithson | 123 comments Note: Watch the video at the bottom, please. I worked hard on it as a special surpise (1 of 2)to make up for my performance as a host last contest. This time will be better!

Greetings, everyone! My name, for those of you who don't know, is Harold Smithson, and welcome to the third contest of its kind! The topic: Best young adult villains!

Here's how it goes:

Step 1: You nominate the characters you want. (Make sure to list the book and author as well) You get three nominations that automatically go into the contest and three "wish list" nominations. The wish list nominations are there so you can suggest choices to other people. If a wish list nomination becomes one of someone else's main choices, then that wish list choice is in the contest! Here's what it looks like:

Choices:
#1: Vera (My Sweet Audrina by V.C. Andrews)
#2: Achilles de Flandres (Ender's Shadow series by Orson Scott Card)
#3: Archie Costello (The Chocolate War duology by Robert Cormier)
Wish list:
#1: Mary Hightower (Skinjacker trilogy by Neil Shusterman)
#2: Cole (The Blue Mirror by Kathe Koja)
#3: Roger (Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce)

Step 2: Wait until the nomination segment ends and then we vote, tournament style!

Rules:
1: All picks must be from young adult novels.
2: Please make sure to check that nobody has already nominated your choice.
3: Please put your choices in bold.

Let's get this started!

Nomination segment ends January 14th.

message 2: by Bethany (last edited Jan 08, 2013 09:57AM) (new)

Bethany | 578 comments Well, two people came to mind when I saw this contest...and you mentioned one of them.

#2: Leck (Graceling trilogy by Kristin Cashore)
#3: The imposter king (The Lumatere trilogy by Melina Marchetta)

Wish list:
#1: President Snow (the Hunger Games trilogy)
#2: Warner (Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi)
#3: Mayor Prentiss (Chaos walking trilogy by Patrick Ness)

ps...I tried the video and the page that opened was just blank, nothing loaded. I don't know if thats a problem with the link or what...fyi :)

message 3: by Harold (last edited Jan 10, 2013 05:59AM) (new)

Harold Smithson | 123 comments Bethany wrote: "Well, two people came to mind when I saw this contest...and you mentioned one of them.

#2: Leck (Graceling trilogy by Kristin Cashore)
#3..."

Aw, dang it. I'll fix that link. (I worked hard on that video!)

message 4: by Harold (new)

Harold Smithson | 123 comments That should do it!

message 5: by Theo (new)

Theo #1. Jack Merridew (Lord of the Flies by William Golding)
#2. Count Olaf (A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket)
#3. Dolores Umbridge (Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling)

message 6: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 578 comments Harold wrote: "That should do it!"

haha, I loved it! Great job!!!

message 7: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I can't watch the video because I'm work, dag blastit! I'll watch at home later today. :)

Mary Hightower is my most favorite villain, so I'm glad she's already in the contest. Dolores Umbridge would be up there and she's in...

#1 - Bestiano (Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta)
#2 - President Snow (Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins)
#3 - Mayor Prentiss (Chaos Walking by Patrick Ness)

Wish List
1. Gov agency that created Cam in Unwholly
2. Scary ghost dude living in the attic in Anna Dressed in Blood
3. Saint John in Flesh and Bone by Jonathon Maberry

message 8: by Lasse (new)

Lasse | 66 comments I only have two villains:

#1 - Monica Morrell (Glass Houses by Rachel Caine)
#2 - Drake Merwin (Gone by Michael Grant)

message 9: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments What I tink would help this contest is including a description of the character so people can vote for different villains even if they haven't read the book. Otherwise we will be forced to vote only for those we've read and the most read books are going to win.

I think it could make it more interesting!

I haven't voted because I could only choose mayor prentiss, I haven't read many ya books, and this will only make me vote where he appears and leave the others blank.

message 10: by Harold (new)

Harold Smithson | 123 comments Erika wrote: "What I tink would help this contest is including a description of the character so people can vote for different villains even if they haven't read the book. Otherwise we will be forced to vote onl..."

That's a great idea! I'll make sure to implement that into the voting stage.

message 11: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 11, 2013 06:02AM) (new)

Jennifer | 21 comments The only one I'll add is

Valentine (Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare)

I'll wishlist

Mrs. Coulter (The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman)

She was evil but I disliked the book so much that I can't really put her as an official "vote"

message 12: by Harold (new)

Harold Smithson | 123 comments Jennifer wrote: "The only one I'll add is

Valentine (Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare)

I'll wishlist

Mrs. Coulter (The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman)

She was evil but I disliked the book so much that I ..."

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm not particularly fond of that series either.

message 13: by Tish (new)

Tish | 207 comments I'm glad someone nominated Leck! And, as much as I hate Delores Umbridge, I've gotta go with
Voldemort (Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling)
I might add a couple more after I give it some more thought.

message 14: by Harold (last edited Jan 14, 2013 12:11PM) (new)

Harold Smithson | 123 comments Here are some things I'd like to discuss.

1. Considering the number of nominations thus far, do we want an extension of the time, or should we just go ahead? It's your call, guys.

2. This contest is somewhat different from the last ones. For this contest, you can vote for a character even if you have not read the book. Here's how it works: (Credit to Erika for thinking this up.)

For every character mentioned, a description of that character will also be posted. For example:

Achilles de Flandres

Sociopathic pre-teen with megalomaniacal fantasies, a very effective world conquest strategy consisting entirely of betrayals, and a compulsive need to kill anyone who sees hiim in a position of helplessness, including the doctor who anaesthetized him in order to fix his leg.

This will allow people to vote for characters from books they haven't read! (Once again, thank you, Erika) Please post the descriptions for the characters you've nominated, as I can't make them all.

3. Here are the nominees as follows.

Nominations:
1. Vera (My Sweet Audrina by V.C. Andrews)
2. Achilles de Flandres (Ender's Shadow series by Orson Scott Card)
3. Archie Costello (The Chocolate War duology by Robert Cormier)
4. Mary Hightower (Skinjacker trilogy by neil Shusterman)
5. Leck (Graceling trilogy by Kristin Cashore)
6. The Imposter King (Lumatere trilogy by Melina Marchetta)
7. Jack Merridew (Lord of the Flies by William Golding)
8. Count Olaf (A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket)
9. Dolores Umbridge (Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling)
10. Bestiano (Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta)
11. President Snow (Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins)
12. Mayor Prentiss (Chaos Walking by Patrick Ness)
13. Monica Morrell (Glass Houses by Rachel Caine)
14. Drake Merwin (Gone by Michael Grant)
15. Valentine (Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare)
16. Lord Voldemort (Harry Potter by J.k. Rowling)
17. Naughty John (The Diviners by Libba Bray)

Wish List:
1. Cole (The Blue Mirror by Kathe Koja)
2. Roger (Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce)
3. Warner (Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi)
4. Gov agency that created Cam (Unwholly by Neil Shusterman)
5. Scary ghost dude living in the attic (Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blade)
6. Saint John (Flesh and Bone by Jonathon Maberry)
7. Mrs. Coulter (His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman)

Have a great contest, and have a great year!

message 15: by Darcy (new)

Darcy Wight (darcywight) I am new to this but I really want to nominate someone...

Naughty John from the Diviners by Libba Bray

This character (a murderer that has returned from the past to complete a sacred ritual)is absolutely terrifying.

message 16: by Harold (last edited Jan 14, 2013 12:05PM) (new)

Harold Smithson | 123 comments Alright, we'll just go on. This'll be a short contest. Little disappointed that so few people got involved, but to each their own! Let's get this show on the road.

Also, in case you're wondering why I put mini-bios for the characters, it's because in this contest, and I do respect your intelligence, but to re-iterate for those who missed the last update, you're allowed to vote for characters from books you haven't read. This is to make the contest somewhat fair. Thanks to Erika for thinking this up!

Matchups
Matchup #1: Jack Merridew (Lord of the Flies by William Golding) vs. Monica Morrell (Glass Houses by Rachel Caine)
Matchup #2: Bestiano (Froi of the Exiles) vs. Archie Costello (Chocolate War duology)
Matchup #3: President Snow (Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins) vs. Achilles de Flandres (Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card)
Matchup #4: Lord Voldemort (Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling) vs. Mayor Prentiss (Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness)

Here are the aforementioned character bios.

Jack Merridew

Ruthless boy who, when stranded on a desert island, would rather hunt than work towards being rescued. He would rather succumb to the darkness inside humanity than fight it, and he embraces it wholeheartedly. A disturbing study into the darker aspects of humanity and a terrifying example of passion gone wild.

vs.

Monica Morrell

Beautiful and psychopathic vampire daughter of the mayor. Holds a grudge against main protagonist Claire for making her look stupid. (In short, another egotistical rich kid) Possibly a pyromaniac and all-around unpleasant. She’s basically the anti-Eli. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/94...)

Bestiano

Monstrous political maneuverer. Also a rapist.

vs.

Archie Costello

Who he is: Misanthropic leader of the vigils, a secret society at Trinity High School, who effectively rule the student body as a mafia organization. Dislikes physical violence, but will mentally torment someone to the brink of mental breakdown. Calm, seemingly unable to lose, and an excellent orator (http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/...), Archie Costello is a legendary and terrifying figure in YA literature.

President Snow

Tyrannical ruler of Panem who delights in roses and sadistic games that force kids to kill one another. Keeps the districts under his thumb using everything from manipulation to war. Not enough? His breath smells like blood.

vs.

Achilles de Flandres

Who he is: Sociopathic and megalomaniacal pre-teen who starts out as a leader on the streets of Rotterdam, before trying to (Of course) take over the world. Vastly intelligent, unpredictable, and has an obsession with killing anyone who sees him in a position of helplessness, including the girl who spared his life and the doctor who performed corrective surgery on his leg. Is the epitome of disloyalty, to the point where his entire plan involves betraying a country for a stronger one.

Mayor Prentiss

Totalitarian mayor of Prentisstown (And later the entire planet of New World) whose aspirations of control are so fanatical that he’d rather see the whole world destroyed than admit something is beyond his ability to subjugate. Wants to kill all the women of New World to gain political power and has an obsession with war to the point of going out of his way to generate it. Murderous, manipulative, megalomaniacal, yet still complex and compelling. An example of how war is simply the desires of the individual superimposed over the desires of the many. Also a great way to get an “A” (http://images.search.yahoo.com/images...)

vs.

Lord Voldemort (There, I said it)

Heartless dark lord whose fear of death is so all-encompassing that his ultimate goal is eternal life. Understandable, but whereas some people are content with researching ways to accomplish this scientifically (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/mag.... This is only one example; there are plenty others), Voldemort’s method is more invested in murder. His actions result in a body count that is more becoming of a Slasher movie than anything. P.S.: Don’t say his name. Whatever you do, don’t-

(Because Harold Smithson is currently being interrogated at the ministry of magic, I have taken it upon myself to post his views here)

Harold Smithson's picks:
Matchup #1: Jack Merridew
Matchup #2: Archie Costello
Matchup #3: Achilles de Flandres
Matchup #4: Mayor Prentiss

He should be out in a little while and the contest will proceed. This is a governmental promise, and we are able to follow through, given that we have found all his notes on this contest including something fairly interesting that he was planning on posting near the end of the contest. We will, rest assured, post it. Until then, have a nice day.

message 17: by Harold (last edited Jan 14, 2013 12:09PM) (new)

Harold Smithson | 123 comments Darcy wrote: "I am new to this but I really want to nominate someone...

Naughty John from the Diviners by Libba Bray

This character (a murderer that has returned from the past to complete a sacred ritual)is a..."

I'll put him in. Chronologically, your comment appeared before mine, so it's completely legitimate. Does anyone have another character so that we can have an even number, though?

message 18: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments Why did president snow's breath smell like blood? I don't remember...

I will vote later, I'm a bit busy right now. Some of those characters do look interesting, I might have to add those books to my list!

message 19: by Harold (new)

Harold Smithson | 123 comments Erika wrote: "Why did president snow's breath smell like blood? I don't remember...

I will vote later, I'm a bit busy right now. Some of those characters do look interesting, I might have to add those books to ..."

It was explained in Mockingjay that President Snow poisoned his political opponents, though through these poisonings he came into contact with his own poison, which resulted in sores(?) that never fully healed, so essentially, he bleeds in his mouth. That's the reason for the roses: To cover up the scent.

message 20: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments #1 jack Merridew
#2 Archie Costello (need to read this!)
#3 Achilles de Flanders
#4 Mayor Prentiss

I haven't read any of the ender's books. Would it be a good idea if I read Ender's shadow before or instead of Ender's game?

message 21: by Harold (last edited Jan 15, 2013 09:57AM) (new)

Harold Smithson | 123 comments Erika wrote: "#1 jack Merridew
#2 Archie Costello (need to read this!)
#3 Achilles de Flanders
#4 Mayor Prentiss

I haven't read any of the ender's books. Would it be a good idea if I read Ender's shadow before ..."

Read Ender's Game first, definetely. Ender's Shadow is basically Ender's Game told through the POV of a minor character. Whether or not Ender's Shadow is actually a good book is up to opinion, but that Ender's Game is a better book is, to my limited knowledge, almost uncontested.

message 22: by Harold (new)

Harold Smithson | 123 comments Holy cow, this contest was poorly timed on my part. I guess people are just too busy. I was planning on updates every two days or so, but it looks like I'm going to have to wait some more. I'll wait an extra day or so.

Also, if the people who nominated are reading this, you guys can tell me if you're too busy and we can do this another time. Or we can even change the topic if you want. I like doing this because other people have fun, and if nobody else is having fun, what's really the point?

message 23: by Harold (new)

Harold Smithson | 123 comments Sorry, guys, the contest is moving over to *Exclusively YA Book Club*. Here's the link: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Harold I can't believe you moved the whole contest! You crack me up!

message 25: by Karen’s Library (last edited Jan 17, 2013 04:24PM) (new)

Karen’s Library Oh, there are good villains in this thread. Will you include them in the other group? :)

message 26: by Erika (new)

Erika | 36 comments So, this was another group, huh? Lol

message 27: by Harold (new)

Harold Smithson | 123 comments Karen wrote: "Oh, there are good villains in this thread. Will you include them in the other group? :)"

Sure. Any that don't get mentioned will automatically be added, though I think we'll get more or less the same ones in the new group, as almost all of the series/books mentioned are popular.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Karen wrote: "Oh, there are good villains in this thread. Will you include them in the other group? :)"

Good point Karen!

message 29: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (cherybery1rocketmailcom) | 27 comments Neferet from the House of Night series

message 30: by Harold (new)

Harold Smithson | 123 comments Jillian wrote: "Neferet from the House of Night series"

Thank you for your nomination. If you wish to continue with the contest, please follow this link: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...