Urban Fantasy series' discussion

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)
This topic is about Daughter of Smoke & Bone
Book Of the Month > January BOTM: DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE by Laini Taylor

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JP (new) - rated it 4 stars

JP Reads (jpfantasyreads) | 792 comments Mod
One of our Books of the Month for January is:

DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE by Laini Taylor!!!!

Please read and discuss below

Katy (kathy_h) Loved this book. Read it when it first came out. One of my top in this genre.

Lorelle (lozza2407) | 34 comments Whoever hasn't read this is in for a real treat ! Take it slow and savour it ! My fav read by far for the year .

Brianna | 64 comments I recently read this book, and thought it was very good and original. It was kind of slow in parts, but everything was necessary.

Rachel (teachermom_rach) | 3 comments I have had this in my to-read stack for some time now. This is the perfect reason to pull it to the top! :)

message 6: by JP (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes, I completely agree! I've been wanting to read this forever

message 7: by Sal (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sal | 2 comments ADORED the first half of the book. The second half was still good, but not as. I also felt her writing drooped in the second half; I remember the descriptions in the beginning being so beautiful.

But still a great great book.

Kaarinedm | 12 comments I read this based on a rec from a friend, and I have to say I was so surprised by how much I liked it.. book 2 follows up really well. I cannot wait for the conclusion to this. It is one of my top reads for 2012.

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo It's on my must read list... Perfect timing.

message 10: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. | 95 comments The reading was a bit slow, but was quite clever overall. Looking forward to reading the next one, but doubt I will purchase it.

Nicole (nike13) I'm a little more than halfway through, I'm enjoying it so far but want to skip some of the love stuff so I can find out what happened to everyone. I've probably read too many romances recently.

message 12: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (jen371) | 23 comments Love Love Love this book!

Lilypad | 1 comments Loved it!!

message 14: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay Loved it!!! I need the last book immediately!!

Ramplo | 6 comments S-"ADORED the first half of the book. The second half was still good, but not as. I also felt her writing drooped in the second half"

I don't think it was her writing that drooped but the story. After Akiva got all whiny and the story started bouncing through back-story it got too bogged down in 'other things'. Maybe if she had had the two stories play out simultaneously and then they collided...

She did pick it back up pretty well at the end though, and I have every intention of buying the next one.

Liana Sanders | 3 comments About halfway through and loving it!

Liana Sanders | 3 comments Just finished the first one and now seeing my reading list aside to start on the second one. I agree it lagged a bit in the middle, but did not stop me from wanting to read more!

Nikki (withererose) Getting my copy of this from the library today, excited to read it :)

message 19: by Sal (last edited Jan 09, 2013 04:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sal | 2 comments ramplo wrote: I don't think it was her writing that drooped but the story. After Akiva got all whiny and the story started bouncing through back-story it got too bogged down in 'other things'. Maybe if she had had the two stories play out simultaneously and then they collided...

She did pick it back up pretty well at the end though, and I have every intention of buying the next one.

Yes, I agree. The author didn't intertwine the two stories because it would have been an obvious giveaway, (view spoiler)

But apart from that I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I wrote a review for it here

message 20: by JP (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just got this one off of audible... can't wait to start it! Has anyone listened to the audio version?

Adrianna [SypherLily] (sypherlily) My emotions on this book are odd. When I was reading it, I was very detached for a good chunk of it, only when we started to find out about her past life did I really get hooked and see how everything that was boring me beforehand, was finally piecing together. I couldn't wait to get the sequel, waited months and months, got my hands on it....and I can't bring myself to continue. I'm afraid of a cliffhanger and the thought of waiting over a year for the next is just...devastating.

So this book really was fantastic. It's original, beautifully written and very deep. I'm intrigued by Laini Taylor.

message 22: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Gilmore | 9 comments I finished it last night. I thought it was well written. Even with the fairly complicated world-building that she has to introduce the reader to in the book, it still was enjoyable to read, and I didn't feel lost in the details.

I almost felt like I would have liked two separate novellas - one to tell the backstory and one to tell the current story. I can understand why she intertwined them, but I'm not sure that it always worked.

I liked though her vivid characters and how the characters seemed true to themselves - in other words, they didn't suddenly begin to act in ways that seemed at odds with their character (Anita Blake, I'm looking at you right now).

I can't wait to read the next one!

message 23: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat Klein | 151 comments At this point I'm kind of ambivalent on the book. It's well written, with a well thought out world, but I had a hard time with the whole Romeo and Juliet thread running thru it. Karou made a very strong willed MC in the beginning, but Akiva was a bit one-dimensional I thought. It felt like after the romance the book started to fall into the Twilight trap. I tend to prefer my female protagonists to be more like Chloe from Kelley
Armstrong's DP or Ginny from Harry Potter. Both strong female leads, who don't suddenly "fall in love" and lose all sense of themselves. I'll still give the rest of the series a read, as I did enjoy the world building and the storyline. We'll see how it goes.

Nikki (withererose) Just finished this right now. Guess ill be going to the library and getting the second one soon :) I really enjoyed this even though it was a bit slow in parts. Overall a really great and entertaining read :) Love it!

Janevstar | 3 comments Amazing! Loved the pace the character development and an interesting new world

Gwendolyn (aleyana) I'm about halfway through and am having a hard time putting it down. Loving it so far.

Lorelle (lozza2407) | 34 comments I just loved the way she slowly revealed how everything was intertwined. It took me a little while to get a handle of the writing style, as firstly i dont enjoy what i would call very lyrical, poetic and overly descriptive writing, but I feel this is what paints a beautiful picture. Secondly, I would start reading a chapter and youd think, hang on , have i missed something here?, but you learn that you find out what you need to know at the right time. She times everything wonderfully!

I was just hanging out to find out more about the teeth and what not. I would have been happy with just that, but when you get halfway through and you are thinking, hang on , theres even more to this, and I whole new story is unravelled, I was just consumed.

The romantic in me just adored the last half and i get all goosey when i think about it. (view spoiler)

The second book is darker , where romance takes a backseat to the storyline, and is more consistent throughout with regards to its "feel", but the first one is my fav !

Ingrid Seymour Lorelle wrote: "I just loved the way she slowly revealed how everything was intertwined. It took me a little while to get a handle of the writing style, as firstly i dont enjoy what i would call very lyrical, poet..."

Lorelle, where is a like button to your comment? :) It sums up how I feel about the book. Except to add that it's one of my favorites in a long time!

Nicole (nike13) Jacki wrote: "Just got this one off of audible... can't wait to start it! Has anyone listened to the audio version?"

I got the audiobook from the library - the narrator was pretty good. I enjoyed her accents for some of the characters.

Hope you enjoy!

Ingrid Seymour Jacki wrote: "Just got this one off of audible... can't wait to start it! Has anyone listened to the audio version?"

So Jacki did you first read it and now you're listening to it?

message 31: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Taylor I really loved this book. I agree with some of the other comments that it felt like two separate parts, but overall I think it worked well.
The whole idea of the Chimera was quite unique, it's not something that it found often in UF, so I quite enjoyed reading about something new.
I'm itching to read the next one, but as someone else said above, I don't know if I can wait a whole year for the next one!

message 32: by Ela (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ela Yeah I agree with Nicole about the chrimeas, and other people about the book having to halves. I loved the beginnng, the setting was fantastic and Karou seemed a great Heroine.
Then Akiva came in (who I foudn really irratating) and love pretty much sufforcated the book, I was just really disappointed in it after that.

Also I thought the ending was really stange since pretty much everyone seems to be dead...

Gwendolyn (aleyana) Loved this book! I completely agree that the second one was much darker and also really good. I liked this one a little better, but I guess I'm a sucker for star crossed love stories.

Janevstar | 3 comments Great book of the month thanks

message 35: by Tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara LOVED this series!