Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

The Edge of Never (The Edge of Never, #1)
This topic is about The Edge of Never
Archive (Buddy Reads) > January PIFM BR - **SPOILERS**-The Edge of Never

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vi | 2012 comments A bunch of us are planning to buddy read Fran's rec The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski . Anybody is welcome to join the BR anytime!

message 2: by Vi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vi | 2012 comments I'm targeting anyday after the 6th Jan, say 7th Jan..

Brittany Lynn  | 56 comments I'd love to join in and read this.. i just have to find a copy! :)

Samantha | 1381 comments I think that I might jump in.

Renee Nicole | 175 comments Oooh, can I join in??

Sue.Rs | 28 comments I would love to join! I've been saving to read this book until after I was done with all the December challenges. So this PIFM comes at a perfect time.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 68 comments I just found a copy, can I join too?

message 8: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 11052 comments So excited to have a big group for this one!

Brittany Lynn  | 56 comments Found a copy!

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Ok, I am trying to get my copy ;) It is going to be published here soon so I will ask the publisher for a first read copy if I cannot get it then well, I will buy the ebook, either way I am totally in!
And it is gonna be great to have another buddy read with you girls

message 11: by Vi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vi | 2012 comments Wow! I didn't know this book was THAT popular. It's going to be a lot of fun group reading this!

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 68 comments Wow I just finished it, what a beautiful amazing book! I could feel my heart pounding in my chest when I finished the book.

message 13: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 11052 comments Amy, so glad you liked it! I'm really looking forward to reading it :)

Brittany Lynn  | 56 comments This is my first buddy read, I'm rather excited about that!

message 15: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 11052 comments I just finished this one this morning. I have a terrible cough/cold and haven't been able to sleep. The good news is that I've gotten a lot of reading done in the middle of the night!

I put a SPOILERS tag at the top of this thread. I don't think we can really discuss this one without giving away key details.

So beware, if you stop by here expect some spoilers :)

message 16: by Vi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vi | 2012 comments Ah I'm definitely intrigued now. I'm in the middle of a book but I think I'll this one after that.

message 17: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jan 09, 2013 04:28AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 11052 comments I don't want to give anything away about this one but I am getting older, lol, and if I don't write about it pretty quickly after I read it, I will forget the story!

I enjoyed the road trip journey that Andrew and Cam took, her growth, their relationship....but I didn't love it as much as most others who have read and reviewed it. It was a slow start for me, and although I did enjoy the entire middle, the ending wasn't my favorite. Here's why.....

I removed spoiler for now....it is copied somewhere else and will remain there until more people have finished book :)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) I just got my book and will start tomorrow hopefully. I had to start to wallbanger - alice clayton, for the publisher here. But I am eager to start this one, I have talked to the author as well ;) I will have an interview with her for my blog soon.
And you cannot be getting old Fran, don't say that!!!
And I hate that spoiler tag, it intrigues me too much, I have to close this page now, or else I will just go ahead and read it...

message 19: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 11052 comments Nida, don't read it! I probably shouldn't have put it there but I was afraid of forgetting important details.

I want to read Wallbanger - did you like it? Looks really cute. I also have her two others, The Unidentified Redhead and The Redhead Revealed, which I have really wanted to get to.

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Fran, I don't know about her other books, but this one is going real fun! I will let you know more on this tomorrow, planning on finishing tonight... we obviously have; Too many books to read, too little time to read ;)

message 21: by Vi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vi | 2012 comments So I'm about a few pages in and I have the following to say (MILD SPOILERS AHEAD)

- Of course Cam is a super-hot, gorgeous, awesomely beautiful woman. She definitely cannot be a normal woman who is not insanely beautiful.
- While I like Road Trips - erm, a woman travelling alone for so many days in a bus? Not something that can I digest easily
- No phone calls from her mother AT ALL? Given that it's been a few days since she started the journey. She doesn't even let her mother know also? What?

I've liked the POV of Cam. Especially the part where she says about Love from the PoV of adults and teenagers. That part resonated because I've had similar conversation with my friends.

message 22: by Vi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vi | 2012 comments Nida, that spoiler tag has been practically making me click it. I've been avoiding this thread for that reason ;)

Has anybody else started the book?

message 23: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 11052 comments I removed the spoiler tag for now, copied it somewhere else so no one gets the itch to click it. I will put it back later in the month after more people have read it.

Vi, I had issues with her Mom too. The whole way through. I know Cam is 20, but she seemed so disinterested in where she was, what she was doing.

message 24: by Vi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vi | 2012 comments Fran, actually, I'm confused about things now - at what age do you actually graduate from high school? Is it around 17-18? If yes, then what was Cam doing in the intervening 2 years? I mean, yes - she was not interested in going to a college for a not-intelligent reason. Which parent would be disinterested in her child? That is so foreign to me. This intervening years are a blur to me really.

I'm about 2/3rd in and I totally don't see her parents. I see limited to non-existent interaction. And really, I can't quite agree with their behavior.

What do you think of Andrew, Fran?

message 25: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 11052 comments I actually went back and reread the beginning of the book to see if I missed something.I don't think it says what she has been doing for the 2 years since she graduated.

I couldn't stand her best friend Natalie. Not to mention the dirt bag, drug selling, coke using boyfriend of hers, Damon.

I like Andrew. I don't want to give away too much, but some of his thoughts and behaviors are tied into what we find out near the end of the book. But I did have a few issues with him, they are in the spoiler.

message 26: by Vi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vi | 2012 comments Fran, I just finished the book and I can't help the disbelief nor control my laughter. Lol! Can I have the spoiler tag back now?

The thing is I got a high school vibe from both Camryn and Natalie. They totally were not responsible at all! I can't help but think the author just made them 20 so that the book would fit in the New Adult Genre. Incidentally what is Natalie doing? Is she studying?

message 27: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 11052 comments Please don't click the spoiler tag until you have finished the book!! Major spoilers!!

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Vi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vi | 2012 comments Wallbanger looks very interesting! Fran, BR? :P

message 29: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 11052 comments Yes! Next week or so ok?

Gisbelle This book is not as good as I expected! It was just ok. Nothing special :)

message 31: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 11052 comments Natalie is being a hot mess. Not sure what else occupies her time ;)

message 32: by Vi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vi | 2012 comments I needed my laptop to reply.

PLEASE don't view the spoiler. It will definitely ruin the experience.

(view spoiler)

I debated between 2 and 3 but I ended up with 3. I had so many issues with all the characters even the father - how can you not give your son an outlet to grieve? - that I can't give it 3 stars.

message 33: by Vi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vi | 2012 comments Yes, that'll be good :)

Fran wrote: "Yes! Next week or so ok?"

message 34: by Vi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vi | 2012 comments Gisbelle - I would say Easy by Tammara Webber and The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay are far better than this.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I read this last month and I liked it. I wasn't overly wow'd by it but I did like it. I'm not normally a YA reader so having such a young couple was different for me. I felt it was more a journey of discovery at times than a romance. I did have a few issues that were mentioned by other readers but it wasn't enough to really affect my star rating. I gave it 4 stars.

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Ok, now I will move on to this one and you are to Wallbanger? Great!!! What a bad timing I have :) Well Wallbanger is fun but I couldn't see what all the hype was about, I must admit.

Vi- I will try Easy, I have it already.

My latest favourite YA/NA book is Hopeless... So let's see how this would go...

message 37: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 11052 comments Sorry we didn't have better timing Nida! But you can jump in here and chat about it any time. We will chime in for sure :)

I had a feeling Wallbanger might be another overly hyped one, but I will try it anyway.

I've heard great things about Easy. I have it but won't be able to get to it this month. I've also heard great things about Hopeless.

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) I have read hopeless about 10-12 days ago and still under its spell. I won't be reading easy this month either. Let me know whenever you decide to go for it, I might just join for a BR.
And for wallbanger I will chime in your discussion for sure...
I will write as soon as I am a few chapters in this one as well!
I love talking about books, well I suppose I just love talking ;) or writing in this case

Gisbelle Vi wrote: "Gisbelle - I would say Easy by Tammara Webber and The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay are far better than this."

I agree! Loved both of the books you mentioned. The Edge of Never was a bit weird for my taste

message 40: by Vi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vi | 2012 comments Pamela, I'm glad you liked it. The difference probably is that I read YA periodically. Especially those fantasy ones. If not for some of those issues, I would have really enjoyed the book. Maybe you could try Easy by Tammara Webber too if you liked this one?

Nida, really. I would be glad to chat about this book. That is the best part of a BR. That said, I'm waiting for you to start the book. We can talk more then :)

I'm adding Hopeless by Colleen Hoover to my list. Maybe I can get to it soon.

message 41: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 11052 comments Anyone else finish it yet? Curious to hear what others thought....it's gotten so many great reviews.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Thanks, Vi! Maybe I will.

Sue.Rs | 28 comments I liked the Edge of Never, not only because there was alot of hot chemistry between the two main characters Camryn and Andrew, but because of J.A. Redmerski's writing style. The dialogue flowed and it felt real, not stiff. I was hooked on finding out what was Andrew's secret. Then the ending came, when all was revealed. Yeah..this part was rushed, but I'm glad it was a happy ending.

I agree with what Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: I felt it was more a journey of discovery at times than a romance. Who wouldn't want to just take off to travel and find one-self?

message 44: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 11052 comments I agree Sue, that was the part of the story I liked best, Cam's journey to find herself. And I did like the author's writing style, but I just wish some of the puzzle pieces and clues she alluded to during the story fit better with the ending and the reason she decided to go with for Andrew's secrecy.

message 45: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 11052 comments Vi wrote: "Wallbanger looks very interesting! Fran, BR? :P"

Hey Vi!

I am going to start Wallbanger on Monday. I borrowed it so I am on a time limit. It looks a bit long and may take me awhile. Don't rush on my account, read it when you can and we'll chat whenever you are done.

If anyone else wants to read Wallbanger by Alice Clayton with us, please do!

message 46: by Vi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vi | 2012 comments Fran, I just got it from the library too. I can start it Monday, no problem :)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Are you gonna talk over here or on another thread? just please let me know... and I am gonna be here later today with my comments on the edge of never, when I am properly awake!!! ;)

message 48: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 11052 comments Nida, I will set up a separate thread for Wallbanger :)

Anxious to hear what you thought of The Edge Of Never!

Samantha | 1381 comments Ok I finally read it and enjoyed it. I am a sucker so I fell into the manipulative ploys and cried at some parts. I was moved but then again there were some questionable parts and most of you guys touched them already. I had major issues with their family responses to everything especially Cam's mother.

I loved the connection with Cam and Andrew. The story flows smoothly to me. However, the epilogue is rushed and weird. Well, the ending is rushed as well and made too tidy.

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Ok, here I am. I have finished the book about two days ago and wasn't sure what to write...

I actually liked it, I guess I am a goner when there is new love in the mix.
For what you wrote Fran:

(view spoiler)

But over all, I liked the book and the story. I have read better ones but totally enjoyed this one with a few tears - and I admit, I am definitely an easy one to cry.