flight paths discussion

What are you reading? > December 30-January 5

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments So what are people reading?

I'm very excited-I just finished Infinite Jest which I loved (whether or how much of it I understood is another question).

Now I'm reading The Middlesteins which is a much easier but still (so far) satisfying read.

A great combo to kick off (almost) the New Year.

I suppose I should pick carefully a book to begin on January 1st. What do you (assuming anyone is reading this!) think of The Magus by John Fowles?

message 2: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 747 comments Started thinking on new paths:

Do I try our my wife's new kindle HD ?

Should I set myself a Reading Challenge in what will be a busy year ?

And can I sink my tbr below 100 !!

Currently reading
Cambridge Blue by Alison Bruce - a good paced muder/mystery based locally.

and looking at which Hamish Macbeth book to read next.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim Ice wrote: "Started thinking on new paths:

Do I try our my wife's new kindle HD ?

Should I set myself a Reading Challenge in what will be a busy year ?

And can I sink my tbr below 100 !!

Currently reading ..."

Couldn't hurt to try the Kindle -- I don't think!!?

We've gone past the 5th, so I'm going to open a new thread

message 4: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments thusly, the kindle subtly undermines and takes over the reading public.
Resist!

message 5: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 747 comments Me and Mine not kindle (yet)

First opportunity to order a book on the kindle, and I ended up with a Squirrel box feeder and a DAB Digital radio, which were a little more important at the time.

Saved for another day.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim Ice wrote: "Me and Mine not kindle (yet)

First opportunity to order a book on the kindle, and I ended up with a Squirrel box feeder and a DAB Digital radio, which were a little more important at the time..."

Dinner and music for your furry friends? You are a kind soul...

message 7: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 747 comments mmmm friends, more of a deterrent from eating the spring bulbs and stealing the bird's food.

They say that the UK has reducing Starling and Sparrow populations. We don't - they have just all emigrated to our garden !

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim Ice wrote: "mmmm friends, more of a deterrent from eating the spring bulbs and stealing the bird's food.

They say that the UK has reducing Starling and Sparrow populations. We don't - they have just all emigrated to our garden ! ..."

Word on the street is that you're a soft touch when it comes to feeding the birds, which explains the graffiti scratched into tree trunks along their migration routes: "For a good feed, stop in at Ice's place!" LOL!!

message 9: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 747 comments Well it be snowing today (yippee) - but we have a chequerboard or is it checkerboard - with the number of winged visitors. Boiled the Kettle and unfroze the waterbaths.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim Ice wrote: "Well it be snowing today (yippee) - but we have a chequerboard or is it checkerboard - with the number of winged visitors. Boiled the Kettle and unfroze the waterbaths."

That explains the adverts for "Ice's Hot Springs"

BTW, I'm curious about Anna Kavan and her novel Ice. Have any of my fellow Flight Pathians read it, or know about her work?

message 11: by Traveller (new)

Traveller (moontravlr) | 70 comments Mags, where in the world are you, my dear? Have you currently got time for reading? Remember that Mievillians was actually created especially for you.

So we're missing you on the group reads there.

@Ice: Once you start on the Kindle, its many addictive features will draw you in. I still love tree books, and i still buy them; but nothing can beat being able to carry 500 books in my handbag, and being able to read a huge thick book without having to keep it open and/or breaking my wrist. :)

message 12: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Jim wrote:Im curious about Anna Kavan...."

In the 80s I discovered and read a nunber of her slim volumes,of which Ice was the best. She is another of those fairly obscure writers whose writing promises much but in the end,in my opinion,does not quite sustain the level of mystry and excitment that surrounds,like Djuna Barnes,whose ennui is infectious
In other words, slightly disappointing.

message 13: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Traveller wrote: "Mags, where in the world are you, my dear? Have you currently got time for reading? Remember that Mievillians was actually created especially for you.

So we're missing you on the group reads the..."

I miss you too! Today I have found a way back to GR but this computer usually crashes after 15 minutes,and there is a lot to catch up on. Soon as I have a mailing adress I will try to get a copy of the city,which I am longing to read.

message 14: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments what revolution in education_ Seems like they are pushing the same old shit at kids and forcing them to regurgatate.

message 15: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments The revolution in education has always been sabatogued by those who fear free thinking and obviously have never taken an ethics course...