All About Animals discussion

Discuss Other Stuff Here... > Anyone know of any good animal movies?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Barbara (lv2scpbk) | 1256 comments Mod
What movies have you've seen that you've liked?

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Shojai (amyshojai) | 38 comments Turner & Hooch (except they should NEVER have killed the dog!)

When I was a kid, there were lots of Disney movies with animals. The "Benji" movies were fun. I tend to prefer the ones where the animals are really animals...not animaltronic creatures that "talk" like people. *shrug*

message 3: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (jordanmarie) Homeward Bound is ALWAYS good :)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) The Incredible Journey made a wonderful Disney Movie and the book was one of my favorite reads when I was young.

message 5: by Jami (new)

Jami (jamikap) Hatchi - but you need kleenex!!!!!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Never Cry Wolf

I hope this is the right one about a guy who goes to study the wolves and they begin to study him.

message 7: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Jami wrote: "Hatchi - but you need kleenex!!!!!"

I watched this one and it is a tear jerker.

message 8: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

I always liked "Call of the Wild" also.

message 9: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 17, 2013 04:26PM) (new)

Jennifer Priester (jenniferpriester) | 207 comments I have loved almost every movie I have ever watched with an animal in it, but this is a list of some of my top favorite movies:

Benji's movies (all of them),

the Shiloh movies (all 3),

Ring of Bright Water (movie about an otter),

Yellowstone Cubs,

Zeus and Roxanne (dog and dolphin),

The Adventures of Milo and Otis,

all of the films in the Air Bud and Air Buddies movie series,

Dolphin Tale,

Brother Bear,

Napolean (Golden Retriever puppy),

Miracle Dogs and Miracle Dogs Too,

Spirit:Stallion of the Cimarron (animated but told very naturally from the horse's point of view. The horse acts and sounds like a normal horse and doesn't talk.),

Balto (all three movies),

Two Brothers,

Watership Down,

All Dogs Go to Heaven (one and two),

The Fox and the Hound,

White Fang,

all the Beethoven movies,

The Cat From Outer Space,

Vampire Dog,

And while there are many others, this is my main list and the ones I can currently think of.

message 10: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Jennifer, great list. Wow! Thanks.

message 11: by Jami (new)

Jami (jamikap) I forgot about Dolphin Tale - I loved that one too!

message 12: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Jami wrote: "I forgot about Dolphin Tale - I loved that one too!"

I watched that one not long ago and it was really good.

message 13: by The Pirate Ghost (last edited Jan 18, 2013 08:44AM) (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) And of course "Born Free" was an award winning movie length documentary. That goes along with the current Monthly read.

If we're off the beaten path, I kind of liked "Oh Heavenly Dog" with Chevy Chase and Jayne Seymore. It was a sweet, cute little detective story and love story.

Oh Heavenly Dog (1980)

"Browning is a PI with a bad cold, who's sent to investigate a case by a mysterious client.He stumbles across the body of a young woman and is stabbed to death, and when he wakes up in heaven, they tell him he's "marginal material," and they can only decide on his final destination through one last assignment: to go back and solve his own murder. As a dog. A cute fluffy little dog (Benji). Undaunted, Browning begins to investigate the case as best he can around his canine disabilities (dialing the phone presents a special challenge) to solve the murders, save the girl, and see justice done. Written by Kathy Li "

message 14: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 24 comments Loved The Bear - told with no words.....

message 15: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) The Bear was cool.

I should have mentioned "Seabusicuit" and, even better in my opinion but older, "Phar Lapp" (SP). Both true stories, or based on true stories about real horses.

message 16: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 24 comments That Darn Cat - with Hailey Mills

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Terri wrote: "That Darn Cat - with Hailey Mills"

Oh, I remember that one too! and Ring of Bright Water. I need a copy of that as I loved it so much.

message 18: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth (kenrobg30) | 2 comments How about, Hidalgo, for something new, and Bob, Son of Battle, for something old? My memory slips a little, but I seem to recall one called, The Story of Dan Patch? Just asking. Good Morning Mudge.

message 19: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Yes, Hidalgo, that was a wonderfully fun adventure movie with "Hidalgo" an wonderful Apaloosa (Indian Pony) at the hart of it.

That brings to mind another movie that I haven't seen yet, but I have heard is very good. "War Horse."

Good Morning Ken. It's always good to hear from you.

message 20: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth (kenrobg30) | 2 comments Is "War Horse" taken from a movie, or is it just a screen play.? I haven't paid much attention to the commercials. If it is a book, I want it. I'll buy a new box of tissues for the read. I think I've decided what i'm going to try to write now, Mudge. It will be about animals.

message 21: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Ken, I don't know if it was a book or not. Maybe someone else can answer. I do love the movie though.

message 22: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

I found this online. And, it was a book. A children's book. Here's the article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Hors...

message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane A | 8 comments War Horse is based on a book. it was written by Michael Morpurgo.

message 24: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (tuibird) | 393 comments What about the wonderful new animal movie, "Life of Pi"
But the book is even better than the movie and the movie is pretty darned cool.Pi is sone of my all-time favourite books.

message 25: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (tuibird) | 393 comments Does everyone here know about the Goodreads Listopia list called "Animal Stories"?
It's here:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/19...

Maybe this list could be a permanent fixture on this page somehow.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Priester (jenniferpriester) | 207 comments I will definitely be watching The Life of Pi movie for sure now. Well...actually, I was already planning on watching it but it is moving up higher on my list of movies to watch now.

message 27: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (tuibird) | 393 comments The 3D effects are amazing. Make sure you watch it in 3D.

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Priester (jenniferpriester) | 207 comments Tui wrote: "The 3D effects are amazing. Make sure you watch it in 3D."

I can't, I don't have a TV with 3D capability. I only just got a TV that was HD last month.

message 29: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (tuibird) | 393 comments It's still on at the movies isn't it? That's how I saw it just a week or so ago.

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Priester (jenniferpriester) | 207 comments Tui wrote: "It's still on at the movies isn't it? That's how I saw it just a week or so ago."

It might be but I can't go to theater's. I have a lot of food allergies so I can't eat any food at places like that. Recently I found out that for certain ones I don't even have to eat any of the food to get sick from it, sometimes just touching it or something else it has touched is enough. I am also allergic to many of the perfumes that people wear so I avoid going places that a lot of people go to. For the perfume allergy I actually had to be homeschooled for my last two years of highschool. So for movies I have to watch them on DVD or TV. Most of the time I borrow them from the library and then buy the ones I like.

message 31: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (tuibird) | 393 comments That is very rough! But by avoiding crowds of humans you're not missing much. I've taught children with severe allergies and I know how careful you have to be.

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Priester (jenniferpriester) | 207 comments Tui wrote: "That is very rough! But by avoiding crowds of humans you're not missing much. I've taught children with severe allergies and I know how careful you have to be."

I don't really avoid them all the time, but I do try. Recently I joined a networking group of small business owners because besides being an author I own a publishing company. This is one of the times that I can't really avoid the allergy problem. The networking group meets every month at Panera which is one of the worst places for me to be for food related allergies. One of my biggest ones is gluten, which is in pretty much every food the place makes. I just try not to touch anything while I am there.
So far with being an author promoting my book I have been pretty good with going places that don't bother my allergies too much, like selling books at the library booksales and a few smaller craft show type things. The only problem with these is that there aren't a lot of people so on average at the craft shows I sell anywhere from 0-3 books in a 6-8 hour period of time, which isn't really too bad because I usually do sell something. I did find an allergy medicine that works well for the perfume allergy, which is a really good thing because I live with my Grandmother who wears a lot of it and she is now taking me to a lot of events. Hopefully in the future I will be able to attend larger sized events and only have to be careful about the food allergy part.

message 33: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (tuibird) | 393 comments This isn't an animal movie so much as an animal video. It really appealed to me as it seemed to show inter-species understanding of a kind I enjoy.Its some polar bears using husky-dogs as a kind of personal teddy bear (purely for cuddling purposes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-Ny...

message 34: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emtmelissa) | 32 comments I really like We Bought a Zoo...

message 35: by Tui (last edited Feb 24, 2013 01:15PM) (new)

Tui Allen (tuibird) | 393 comments This is quite a scary movie but has beautiful snowy landscapes for its setting. It intrigued me because it was rare in that it was Man versus the wild (represented by wolves) but in this movie the wild was the winner in the end - not man. About time the animals had a win against humans IMO
I enjoyed every minute. But it was scary at times.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1601913/

message 36: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (tuibird) | 393 comments Then there's "The Edge" with Anthony Hopkins. Man against the wilderness again. Also starts with a plane crash like the one above and yet they are very different movies. This one is even better in some ways. I've watched it about three times now and loved it every time. It's man against the wilderness with a bear instead of wolves. Of all the stranded characters only one survives. Nature and the bear take the rest. Unfortunately the bear dies too, but it was done by the Hopkins character in defence of himself and his friends. So it was a "kill or be killed" situation.

message 37: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Melissa wrote: "I really like We Bought a Zoo..."

I really liked that one.

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) My mom recently made me watch 'War Horse' and it was a beautiful movie!

message 39: by Connie (new)

Connie Newcomb | 12 comments "Best in Show" is one of my favorite movies! I am a show dog handler
and I think the movie is hilarious.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I actually watched a lot of Animal Movies but the best one would be The Incredible Journey!

message 41: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Jacob wrote: "I actually watched a lot of Animal Movies but the best one would be The Incredible Journey!"

I liked that one too.

message 42: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (tuibird) | 393 comments I never watched the movie but read the book a long long time ago and I loved the book.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Greyfriars Bobby! Its will break your heart. Its been years since I last saw it but DO NOT MISS IT.

Greyfriars Bobby

message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan Grodsky Brief comment on the need for Kleenex when watching certain movies. I think some of us feel a little ashamed that we are touched by these "sentimental" stories. But I think there's nothing to be ashamed of. If your life is like mine, you have to govern your emotions much of the time while managing children, parents, and employees. I think the emotions I repress during the day find expression when I watch these warm, pure stories.

message 45: by Russ (new)

Russ Ryan (itsjustadog) | 1 comments Susan wrote: "Brief comment on the need for Kleenex when watching certain movies. I think some of us feel a little ashamed that we are touched by these "sentimental" stories..."

Hey Susan, I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of -- or, as Martin Amis once said: "Those who do use that word (sentimental) in a very derogatory sense have no idea what real sentiment is...Sentimentality is defined in the dictionary as 'coarse, or unworthy of emotion...And I don't think it need be. I think you can celebrate simple virtues without anything coarse, or anything unworthy...I mean, true sentiment is deserving."

Of course, my favorite expression of this is ex-NFL tough guy football player, Rosey Grier's Free To Be You and Me video, "It's Alright To Cry"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFuhC...

message 46: by Lastwolf (new)

Lastwolf | 93 comments Don't forget the great horse movies...
My Friend Flicka
Thunderhead
Greengrass of Wyoming
Secretariat
Seabiscuit
Peter Lundy and the Medicine Hat Stallion.
and those great English films
Kes
Tarka the Otter
The Ballad of the Belstone Fox
Run Wild, Run Free.

message 47: by Rachelle£ (new)

Rachelle£ Dreamer,and Secretariate

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Jami wrote: "Hatchi - but you need kleenex!!!!!"

OH MY!! GOODNESS!! excellent movie, and yes, Kleenex needed, I've actually watched it a couple times...

message 49: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) ~☆ Alice☆~ wrote: "Greyfriars Bobby! Its will break your heart. Its been years since I last saw it but DO NOT MISS IT.

Greyfriars Bobby"

I love Greyfriars Bobby!!

message 50: by Lastwolf (new)

Lastwolf | 93 comments Just been skimming through the posts on this thread. Someone mentioned Dan Patch... yes, the movie was The Great Dan Patch and told the story of the great trotting horse Dan Patch who was the most famous "being" in America during his racing days. His story can be read in the book Crazy Good by Charles Leerhsen.
And the film Bob, son of Battle is called Owd Bob here in England and is taken from the book Owd Bob by Alfred Ollivant. I am very happy to own a first edition of that book.

And there are two Disney films of the Incredible Journey. The first one is far superior and sticks very close to the book.
There are a few more films I can add, some you may wish to look out for on DVD.

My favourite film of all time...
The Yearling (the Gregory Peck version). Made from the book of the same title by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. The book would also make a fantastic group read.

Then there's another old English film now on DVD, called Police Dog. It is the true story of Police dog Rex III and stars the dog himself.

And there's the film (and DVD) about two tiger cubs called Two Brothers.

And remember About Winn Dixie (also DVD and book).

The old 50's TV series Champion the Wonder Horse is also on DVD now.

And the 80's movie, Far From Home: the story of Yellow Dog.

The Velveteen Rabbit.

The Silver Stallion based on The Silver Brumby by Elyne Mitchell.

Eight Below.

Snow Dogs.

White Mane, a beautifully mane short film about a boy and a wild stallion in the Camargue region of France.

And what about the Child and the Fox, a stunningly beautiful film.

And I have several Rin Tin Tin DVDs; one film and series one of the 50's TV series.

I'm sure there are more. I know there's a recent film about an Native American boy and a race horse but I can't remember its name. Anyone tell me what it is?

« previous 1