Counselor Book Club discussion

What books help you the most in your client work?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 2 comments The Gift of Therapy by Yalom, Emotion Focused Therapy by Greenberg, The Heroic Client by Duncan, Miller & Sparks. Also influenced by Carl Rogers, Fritz Perls!

message 2: by Shana (new)

Shana | 1 comments I'm still looking for the ideal book to help me.

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 2 comments What qualities would the ideal book have? In what way would it help you?

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 2 comments As I am training in person centred, I am searching for that perfect book. I am currently reading ' The courage to change' by Ursula O Farrell

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie | 3 comments The anxiety and phobia workbook is awesome. I use it all the time with clients.

message 6: by Billie (new)

Billie Jo | 2 comments I often recommend Love and Logic and the Explosive Child for parents. Hurt, The Epidemic and Lost at School have both influenced my work with middle school students.

message 7: by Shirl (new)

Shirl Cathy wrote: "What qualities would the ideal book have? In what way would it help you?"

I think it would have to be a book that inspires you or one you can put to use in your own practice. Not all connect with me.

message 8: by Shirl (new)

Shirl Deborah wrote: "As I am training in person centred, I am searching for that perfect book. I am currently reading ' The courage to change' by Ursula O Farrell"

That sounds interesting Cathy, I will look it up.

message 9: by Shirl (new)

Shirl Katie wrote: "The anxiety and phobia workbook is awesome. I use it all the time with clients."
Thanks Katie. I will have a look.

message 10: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Belleghem (marilyn_belleghem) The Family Crucible was the first book that really struck me on the value of family therapy. It inspired my career. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 11: by Maureen (new)

Maureen King | 3 comments Dr. Daniel Amen's Mind Coach simply introduces many of the concepts he shares in his other books and on PBS. My middle school students took turns "crushing" a large, plastic ant to represent "killing" Automatic Negative Thoughts(ANTs) that hold us back in life.

Even though the book is short, after using it the first time, I decided not read it straight through for future groups. Along with learning about ANTs, we focused on behavior cycles. We used a graphic organizer (made by a coworker) to show that we can choose how to react to any situation. We can become more and more angry, make bad choices, have negative consequences, become even more angry, etc. Or, we can recognize the body's cues and change the cycle with a better choice at anytime...preferably early in the cycle. :)

message 12: by Shirl (new)

Shirl Thanks for the advertising plug. I was looking more from a book that makes your heart change, stir, etc. Not what makes you a profit.