Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
Group Challenges and Buddy Reads > The Hobbit Buddy Read (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 225 (225 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (last edited Jan 02, 2013 06:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments The Hobbit came in 2nd on our Classic Group read but there was some interest in doing a buddy read of it also. So for the month of January anyone interested in reading and discussing it can do so here.

Participants:
Pamela
Lisa Kay
Gea
Ab2y
Gisela
Karen
Tea

Lurkers:
Nikki

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Great! I'm in. However, I don't think I can start until January 17th.

message 3: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments That's fine. We have the whole month ☺

message 4: by Gea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gea (gea89) I'm in! I won't be able to start it until mid January though :)

message 5: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments That's fine, Gea!

Bror (Abrar)  (ab2y) | 53 comments I'm in too , not really a big fantasy fan , i'll need all the support i can get and some one to push me to read it all :)

message 7: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments You can do it, Ab2y!

Melissa I'm in, I have it reserved at the library so it may be middle or end of the month before I can read it.

message 9: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments That's great, Melissa! I'm reading my daughter's copy I bought for her. I hope she reads it someday.

Nikki ♥ | 2103 comments I just finished it last night, but I'll lurk around and see what everyone thinks.

message 11: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Great, Nikki!

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3 comments I'll be joining in!

message 13: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Wonderful!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I will definitely be joining in :)

message 15: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Terrific!

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 136 comments I'm in :)

message 17: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Great! I am looking forward to breaking open this one!

Mariam (madamepresidente) | 4 comments Hi everyone! How's the book coming along? I am really enjoying it especially the descriptions and the imagery... makes me feel as if I'm trotting along behind Bilbo. Once I finish it, I'd like to see the movie.

Lisa Jo (babyjo) | 175 comments I've started this Pamela. I couldn't help it! ;)

Melissa I just got it from the library, once I finish what I am on right now I'll start reading this one. looking forward to it.

message 21: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments No problem. I'll be on it soon myself.

message 22: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Mariam, I saw the movie already but I'm still looking forward to the book. There are apparently going to be 3 movies so the story is going to be stretched. Since The Hobbit isn't as long as the LOTR trilogy, it will be interesting to see how they do it.

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Jackson has added a bunch of stuff from the appendix of LotR.

message 24: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Oops! I didn't really read much of the appendix. I skim over it very quickly ☺ But thanks for the info, LK!

message 25: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I've heard he uses J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion, which I never read, but my dad did.

Aren't they going to publish one of his unpublished books this year? Gosh, can't remember the name of it.

message 26: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Really? Cool!

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments I reread The Hobbit in November, and have not yet been to see the movie, but am interested in seeing what others think of both.

Bror (Abrar)  (ab2y) | 53 comments So... i finished it (please don't kill me) it was a boring A book , it was well written don't get me wrong but for my defense i'm not (adventure + fantasy) big fan .

message 29: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments lol. That's okay. There are a few books that I don't like that I'd be shot for. Not all book please everyone ☺

Melissa Ab2y wrote: "So... i finished it (please don't kill me) it was a boring A book , it was well written don't get me wrong but for my defense i'm not (adventure + fantasy) big fan ."

One of the reason I haven't read it before now is because a few people told me it was boring. I'm just now to chapter 2 so I haven't really gotten in it enough to see how exciting it is yet.

message 31: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I read the LOTR trilogy and while I did enjoy them, I felt they were a little boring in places. I'm not a big fan of battle scenes.

Nikki ♥ | 2103 comments I thought it was a little slow in some parts and it felt like it took me forever to finish it. Overall I thought it was pretty good and I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.

Mariam (madamepresidente) | 4 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Mariam, I saw the movie already but I'm still looking forward to the book. There are apparently going to be 3 movies so the story is going to be stretched. Since The Hobbit isn't as long as the LOT..."

3 movies?! wow! Looking forward to that. I'm almost done with the book but I'm intentionally dragging it. I want to savor every moment. Have you started reading it yet?

message 34: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments lol. I read the first page and the stopped when I saw a few others mention they wouldn't be starting til later in the month.

Melissa I just finished The Hobbit. I thought there were some really great moments and others that were kinda boring but I had fun with Mr Bilbo Baggins.

message 36: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I'm having a hard time getting into the book I'm reading so I may drop it for now and pick this back up ☺

message 37: by Gea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gea (gea89) I just opened the book and I hope it won't be boring like it was to so many of you :/

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 136 comments For me it's reread. :)
I'll start probably tomorrow.

message 39: by Gea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gea (gea89) Lol, I can't remember the last time I read a book with so long descriptions :D And all in one paragraph, so I get easily lost in it

message 40: by Gea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gea (gea89) Tea, did you like it first time you read it? I know I started it at least once or twice before (after I read LOTR) but never came far. When I saw the movie I decided I really have to read it and hopefully I'll like it as much as I liked the movie.

message 41: by ❀Tea❀ (last edited Jan 18, 2013 11:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 136 comments I first read LoTR, too. So I was little disappointed with Hobbit but I can't point out what was it. (It was two years ago, and who knows how many books :) )
I just remember I had trouble with remembering who's who (dwarfs). And places. I kept looking at map more than I was reading :)
But then, I did watch LoTR (at least first movie) before reading books, so maybe after this movie it'll be better. :)

message 42: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I'm a little over halfway through. Its not bad. There were a few descriptive parts that got a little long but I muddled. And while I could see that the movie was somewhat faithful to the book, I did see a few areas that strayed a bit.

message 43: by Gea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gea (gea89) I think I will have problems with remembering dwarfs too, I'm just not that good with too many names.

I've seen the movie a month ago and already forgot some of the things, but I do remember Bilbo's voice and I can just imagine him saying the written words. I think the actor played the roll of

I just laughed at his thinking about the cakes running out. (view spoiler) And then remembered how he looked in the movie when they emptied his pastry :D

message 44: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments ❀Tea❀ wrote: "I just remember I had trouble with remembering who's who (dwarfs)."

Totally agree with you, ❀Tea❀. I think this is where seeing the film helped. Jackson really differentiated them.

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 136 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Totally agree with you, ❀Tea❀. I think this is where seeing the film helped. Jackson really differentiated them."

And it helps that few of them were cute :)

message 46: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I still don't have all of them straight but a few like Thorin and Bombur have stuck in my mind.

message 47: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments ❀Tea❀ wrote: "And it helps that few of them were cute :)"

**snortsnort** True!

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 136 comments I must admit... I lost my heart to Kili *sigh*

message 49: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments **hee hee** Sorry, he's mine.

message 50: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Who would have thought we'd all lust over dwarves?!

« previous 1 3 4 5