Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

Little Women
This topic is about Little Women
Group Challenges and Buddy Reads > Little Women (Spoilers) Group Read

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (last edited Jan 30, 2013 05:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Little Women has been voted as our Jan - Mar Classic Group Read.

Feel free to discuss and comment here.

Officially begins January 1, 2013.

Participants:
Pamela
Leslie
Hayley
Nikki

Leslie (chibilee02) Okie dokie, Little Women it is...been a long time since the last I read this. Will be nice to go back to it. Lol can't help but be reminded of that Friends episode lol

message 3: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Great, Leslie!

Hayley (mrsjohnson1985) | 951 comments This is such a great book :). Maybe I will look into reading it again !

message 5: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Great, Hayley! I'll add you but no pressure!

message 6: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments This is a 3 month group read so we have plenty of time. ☺

Leslie (chibilee02) I've started reading it. I know it's 3 months but trying not to wait til the last min as I have a bad habit of doing lol

message 8: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I hope to get to it within a month.

Nikki ♥ | 2103 comments I just got my copy from the library and will probably start it tonight.

Hayley (mrsjohnson1985) | 951 comments This book is free on Ibooks! So, even though I own it in hardback, I'll probably put it on my Ipad as well :). I love the movie too :).

message 11: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I got it free on my kindle. I started the first couple of chapters. It's a reread for me.

Leslie (chibilee02) Well I don't know if you can consider this a re-read if it's been a looong time since you've read it. It's as if I'm reading it for the first time lol

message 13: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Okay, it's been a few years for me. Only about 30 something years. ☺

Leslie (chibilee02) Been on a Little Women reading binge these past couple of days. Will probably keep going til I can pick up a book on hold for me at the library. Keep forgetting the reading time ends at the end of March. lol

Nikki ♥ | 2103 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Okay, it's been a few years for me. Only about 30 something years. ☺"

It's been about that long for me too :)

I finished it a few days ago. It was just as good as when I read it as a kid.

message 16: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I've only read a few chapters so far.

Leslie (chibilee02) I managed to finish it last week. Think I enjoyed it more now than back a few years ago.

message 18: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Anyone ready to discuss? Any discussion questions? Any comments? Criticisms?

Leslie (chibilee02) When I first read this a couple years ago, I don't remember thinking how spoiled all the girls were at the beginning. But when I started reading it again, I was kinda surprised how I felt the girls were petty and selfish. Made me realize how different I am from when I first read this to how I am now.

Just to get this out of my system: it probably wouldn't have worked out, but I just wanted to see how it could have been between Jo and Laurie. Lol

message 20: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I know what you mean, Leslie. I don't think I really thought of the girls as selfish and petty the first time around. Well, Amy I thought was a little. I, too, wanted Jo and Laurie to end up together. But Ms Alcott apparently decided they wouldn't suit.

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments I reread this last fall, and was surprised at home "preachy" it seems to me now, especially the first half. I don't remember that coming across at all when my sisters and I read this as kids.

I don't think Laurie and Jo would have suited, either. I didn't think the other girls were spoiled, but definitely thought so about Amy. At least she grew up a bit in the end.

Leslie (chibilee02) Lol The book reminds me of a school house rock ditty or one those "the more you know" segments with the stars going across.

Although I do like the mother. I just felt she embodies the kind of relationship we would like to have with our mothers. Even though it's too perfect, it's just that fantasy you have, or at least I do.

message 23: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Yes, I liked the mother too.

Do you think the children of today who have fathers and even mothers away in the middle east can relate to the girls?

With technology I think it may be just a little easier for them today when they can communicate with their loved ones upon occasion. Back then they had to rely on letters whenever they got through.

Leslie (chibilee02) I think to a certain point they do. Whenever you have a parent or family member away there's always that worry for their safety.

I agree that the current technology can help ease it. With today's internet and 24 hour news cycle, there's always someplace where they can get some kind of news update. Unlike back then where you don't have even an idea of what's really going on.

Melissa I loved the mother, but the girls tended to grate on my nerves with how whiny they sometimes seemed. I agree it must be a change in how I see it since the last time I read it was in junior high.

I didn't ever see Jo and Laurie as a couple, and I was worried they would get together so I was happy to see him and Amy end up together.

Leslie (chibilee02) I agree with you Melissa, the girls were getting on my nerves and a couple of times found myself rolling my eyes. I kinda felt bad about doing it, as if I wasn't supposed to do that. I often found myself saying "stop whining and complaining".

No matter the time period, when you're at that age it seems like everything is not good enough or it's the end of the world if you don't get your way.

message 27: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Were we like that? lol

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Probably.

message 29: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments lol! Not me! I was a good, sweet child! lol

message 30: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Yeah, right. Me, too.

Melissa I was and still am the baby of the family so I'm sure I did my fair share of whining, I think my sister was the bigger whiner though- she was a lot like Amy lol.

message 32: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I actually was a good child. My sister was the wild one. I was more quiet and shy and went with the flow. I didn't like ripples. I also read a lot and rarely surfaced except for meals and school.

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Actually, I was a pretty good kid. No so great at being a teenager, though. Not that I was bad, because I wasn't a bad girl. (And I was a good student.) But all those hormones make you a little crazy and my mom was going through the Change of Life, so she was going crazy too. LOL! If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't be so boy crazy. What a waste. But that didn't last long. My mom really was my best friend I ever had.

message 34: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I crushed on a few boys but I was the type that if a boy even spoke to me I'd get red and tongue-tied. Oh I knew a few boys in my classes that were really just friends and I only knew them at school. But they were boys that were not into me.

Leslie (chibilee02) I'm sure I had my moments where I was whiny or didn't show enough appreciation for what I had. But my mom told me that I was a pretty well-behaved child. As a teenager, I was like you Pamela. I didn't make it a point to cause any troubles. I went to school, did chores, etc. My parents are pretty strict so I didn't want to get them angry.

As for boys, I was the girl that guys can be friends with. So had no boy trouble or drama. I've seen what it did to my friends, and I made it a point to stay away from that. Didn't need more drama. Lol

Melissa I didn't have a lot of drama with guys, I got along with them better than with girls so I had a lot of guy friends, which didn't leave a lot of other guys brave enough to go through the guy "protectors" to actually date me, but enough did that I wasn't a wall flower but I didn't date a lot.