Bright Young Things discussion

Churchill's Empire: The World That Made Him and the World He Made
This topic is about Churchill's Empire
Group Reads Archive > Churchill's Empire: The World that Made Him and the World He Made by Richard Toye (2013 Reading Challenge)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val This book is well written and shows the complexity of Churchill's and Britain's attitude to the Empire. I look forward to discussing it with you all.

Marieke | 23 comments i have this in hand and i'm super curious about Churchill. but i probably won't read it in January.

message 4: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val There is a drawback to enthusiastically grabbing all the books available from the library for this challenge: I now have four to read before 1st February, when they are due to be returned.

message 6: by Ally (new) - added it

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) | 1653 comments Mod
Don't worry...we have all year!...but I had to laugh at this...it's just like me - I keep having to rush past the library to stop myself going inside or I know I'd end up in exactly the same boat!

message 7: by Val (last edited Jan 10, 2013 06:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val It is just as well they only had four of them available at the time. I have no willpower whatsoever where books are concerned.
The Churchill one is very interesting.
I read this version: Churchills Empire
Churchills Empire by Richard Toye

Beth (bibliobeth) | 27 comments Hi everyone, so this was the second book I attempted in the challenge. I did find it a bit dry in sections but enjoyed the writing and felt I learnt a lot about Churchill along the way.

Marieke | 23 comments I decided to listen to the audio book, which I'll be starting shortly. :)

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy | 38 comments Besides his early career, I don't feel that I learned anything new out of this book. And what I found out about his early days was that he was regarded as a little s**t lol. This was not the best or most comprehensive bio I have read, by any means.

Marieke | 23 comments I don't know much about Churchill at all and felt a little clobbered by this book...what would you recommend as a better starting place? He's so key to modern history.

message 12: by Jan C (new) - added it

Jan C (woeisme) | 1525 comments You might want to try an early book of Churchill's, possibly his first, The River War.

message 13: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val I thought that this was a good biography for showing Churchill's views on the British Empire and therefor a good one for this challenge. His statements were often contradictory and changed over the years, but it attempts to explain why he sometimes supported independence or dominion status (self government within the Commonwealth) and sometimes opposed it.
As a biography of the man himself it is not comprehensive and probably assumes some knowledge, so it does not obey the King of Hearts rule: 'Begin at the beginning, go on till you reach the end, then stop.'

Susan | 774 comments Just started this and really enjoying it. I have read a few books about Churchill before and I agree that some prior knowledge is helpful when reading this.