You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Gone Girl
This topic is about Gone Girl
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > January 2013 - Gone Girl discussion (WARNING Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 150 (150 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Discussion thread for Gone Girl.

It is not mandatory to read the book during January (although you must comment during the month of January to get a badge!), so if you have already read it or are currently reading it, jump right in!

Karen | 40 comments I read Gone Girl earlier in the year. I was fascinated by the way the book was written. And thought the story was very good.

Jkmays I just downloaded it from the library...had been on the wait list for quite a time. Now I just have to finish the VERY long book The Physician so that I can begin Gone Girl

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47271 comments I'm so excited! I started the book yesterday and have listened 6 hours already. I had tinnitus so badly last night I couldn't sleep. Listening to it was great distraction. I need to do some work today and I'd rather read. I guess my clients' employees wouldn't be too happy if I didn't do up their paycheques for tomorrow. I'd be a Gone Girl too!

message 5: by AmyK (last edited Dec 30, 2012 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

AmyK (yakyma) | 1039 comments I started 2 days ago, and about 1/3 of the way done. So far I love the way it's written, and just when i think i have a handle on what's going on, something happens that makes me re-evaluate.

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Dec 31, 2012 02:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47271 comments I had to put it down for now. I was so frustrated with the pace of the book. You're teased with a tidbit and then it's brushed aside. You know it comes back into the story, but when?? It's probably a good thing that I'm listening to it and not reading it, or I'd be sneaking a peek. :)

message 7: by Ava Catherine (last edited Dec 31, 2012 03:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Janice, I hope you are feeling better today. I wish you had some of my parsnip chickpea chicken soup that I made yesterday. Sending you get well wishes instead.

I love this book! The characters are wonderful and the plot is chilling. It is one of those "just one more chapter" books. No way to figure out what is happening. It is like an old Hitchcock movie...full of suspense and darkness. But where will it end?

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Dec 31, 2012 07:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47271 comments Connie wrote: "Janice, I hope you are feeling better today. I wish you had some of my parsnip chickpea chicken soup that I made yesterday. Sending you get well wishes instead.

I love this book! The characters ar..."

Thanks, Connie. I feel a little better each day, dang flu bug! I slept quite well last night until 6:00 this morning when someone turned up the volume on the tinnitus.

I noticed that you had read this book in the summer. Has the story stuck with you? I look back at the books I've read this year and some I barely remember. Others, the story is as fresh as if I just finished it. I suspect I will remember this book for a long time.

I remember when I was a teenager watching several episodes of Hitchcock when he had his 1/2 hour weekly show on tv. There were a couple that really stuck with me. One was Monkey Paw and the other was about a little girl in the south who had a life sized black doll. She claimed that she and the doll traded places. One day the parents saw a black girl playing in the orchard and chased her away. When they looked at the doll she was playing with, it was their daughter. Totally freaked me out!

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I dont know why but this book had made me go to amazon and buy the movie memento not sure theres much similarities between them except nicks voice in my head is the voice of the husband in memento which is a twisted story of a man to find his wifes killer

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47271 comments I'm listening to the audiobook so I have the narrator's voice to create Nick for me.

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments At 50 pages in I am not big on Amys parents too perfect to be perfect but we shall see

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47271 comments LOL! I'm not sure I'm too big on any of the characters. It strikes me that they all want to be seen as perfect.

message 13: by AmyK (new) - rated it 4 stars

AmyK (yakyma) | 1039 comments I've gone back and forth throughout the book so far with A few of them. I

message 14: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Janice wrote: "I'm listening to the audiobook so I have the narrator's voice to create Nick for me."

I think the narrator (Kirby Heyborne) does a great job with Nick. I definitely didn't like any of the characters in the beginning!

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47271 comments I said earlier that I had a theory, and I was right. I'm patting myself on the back, and then wondering how my mind works that I would even go there.

This book has me in such a twist. I can only listen so long and then I have to turn it off because it's so intense.

I'm 2/3 into the book, and as they say, "It ain't over yet." So what's going to happen next?

So, Kat, did you end up liking any of the characters? Or will that be giving anything away. You could always put it in spoiler tags. :)

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47271 comments AmyK wrote: "I've gone back and forth throughout the book so far with A few of them. I"

I'm not sure what you are saying Amy. You're sneaking peeks?

message 17: by AmyK (last edited Dec 31, 2012 03:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

AmyK (yakyma) | 1039 comments LOL..no, but when I posted that i was (and still am) only about 70 pages from being done.

I truly haven't wanted to put this book down because I just want to know what is going to happen next......i sure hope the ending doesn't disappoint me.

message 18: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments I loved Go from the beginning, and I wish she'd been more prominent in the book.

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47271 comments I like Go too. I'll look at the spoiler once I finish the book.

Jennifer Brown | 126 comments I'm going to jump in on this one too! My bookclub back home is reading this for February, so maybe I'll Skype with them when the time comes. Going to Amazon now to download the book. I'll be reading Andre Agassi's book, Open along with this one for the ABC challenge. Hopefully I can handle two books at once!

Happy New Year!

Kohinoor | 9 comments I read this book last month and I could not put it down! I did not know who to trust throughout the whole book, right to the very end, not sure who would do what to each other. Though Amy came out looking crazy (and rightfully so) I have to admit, this was every woman's vengeful fantasy on a douchebag husband or boyfriend come true.

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments This book cracks me up. I find it way too predictable through flynns I'll use every surprise the book attitude. Nothing surprises me anymore. I'm sorry.

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47271 comments Welcome to YLTO Kohinoor. I see this is your first comment. :)

message 24: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47271 comments I finished Gone Girl last night at 1:00 in the morning and then I couldn't sleep. I don' know how long I lay in bed tossing and turning before I finally drifted off. I'm very groggy this morning.

I didn't like the ending. I wanted (view spoiler). But, I grudgingly accept that the story ended up this way. It really emphasises just how sick and twisted things were.

I thought there were some holes that could potentially unravel things which is surprising since I thought Flynn crafted every little detail to be significant, even if you had to wait for it's role to be revealed. (view spoiler).

There were two people I liked. Go and Boney, who made me think of the cop in the movie Fargo.

message 25: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47271 comments Kat wrote: "I loved Go from the beginning, and I wish she'd been more prominent in the book.

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

I hope she doesn't turn this into a sequel. I couldn't stand it. LOL!

Cherie (crobins0) | 19598 comments I was up way too long last night! After I started the book, I couldn't put it down. It finally became a choice between no sleep or just a little bit and I knew that I had to turn off my Nook. I ended with Nick getting the text message that someone was outside the door??? It is going to be hard enough at work today after being off since Dec 21st and now I have to wait until I get home to get back to the book!

message 27: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments It's certainly addictive Cherie! I was constantly hoping for train delays so I could listen a little longer!

message 28: by AmyK (new) - rated it 4 stars

AmyK (yakyma) | 1039 comments When I finished I felt like Janice (view spoiler)

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47271 comments Amy (does your name have to be Amy?? LOL!), we do agree on all points. (view spoiler).

I, too, loved all the little clues that were dropped in and wondered how they would be worked into the story.

Josée Leon (join_bookland) I've had this book on my to-read list since the summer. I'll be reading it soon but as part of the Alphabet Low Octane Challenge. 5 books to read before this one... Looking forward to it!

Jennifer Brown | 126 comments Yeah! I finished it. This was the first time I listened to a book on my kindle. I mostly listened to it, but I did have to turn audio off and just read it at points. I am not sure I would have finished it as quickly if I just read it. It was great to be able to listen to it while doing the dishes or when I should be sleeping!

I don't know how to do the spoiler insert thingie, so I will try not give any spoilers. I enjoyed the book. Some things bothered me.... like Nick would have hired an attorney much earlier.... that just wasn't believable to me. Other than that I thought the book was somewhat predictable, but not completely predictable. THere were just enough twists and turns to keep me interested or pull me back into the story when I was getting inpatient!

I like when a book makes me angry at a character or feel any sort of emotions, and this book definitely did that. I liked Amy at the beginning of the book, by the end I thought she was one crazy b*&%! Poor and dumb Nick. It did leave the reader wondering......

Oh, I agree with Janice and Amy. I also finished this early this morning and tossed and turned and couldn't get to sleep. I wanted to get out of bed and hop on the computer, but didn't want to wake my hubby so didn't! I, too, agree with their comments about the ending, but it did leave me making up my own endings in my head (good and bad)!

Kohinoor | 9 comments Janice wrote: "Welcome to YLTO Kohinoor. I see this is your first comment. :)"

Thank you Janice!

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47271 comments Jennifer wrote: "Yeah! I finished it. This was the first time I listened to a book on my kindle. I mostly listened to it, but I did have to turn audio off and just read it at points. I am not sure I would have f..."

Were you listening to the actual audiobook or the print to voice feature? Or, did you do the Whispersync thingy that Amazon offers?

To get the instructions to do spoilers, click on "(some html is ok)".

Jennifer Brown | 126 comments Janice wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Yeah! I finished it. This was the first time I listened to a book on my kindle. I mostly listened to it, but I did have to turn audio off and just read it at points. I am not su..."

OH.... i did that and completely missed the spoiler!! Now I see it! Need better glasses.

I did the whispersync ...... i paid for the book and the voice! I was just curious how it worked. I didn't like it at first, but I started to like it. I definitely don't like the print to voice on the kindle. I think the major advantage of the audio is that you can listen to it when your eyes are too tired to read and you don't keep your spouse up! :)

message 35: by April (new)

April | 970 comments I read this book last fall and loved it! Yes, very twisted, but at the same time, I found it very comical! Did anyone else see the humor in this? I guess I found it funny in a "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" way.

message 36: by April (new)

April | 970 comments I've also had Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn on hold at the library since September. They are now ready for me to pick up! I'm so excited to see how these two compare to Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn .

message 37: by AmyK (new) - rated it 4 stars

AmyK (yakyma) | 1039 comments April wrote: "I've also had Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn on hold at the library since September. They are now ready for me to pick up! I'm so excited to see how these two..."

I have Sharp objects on my abc list currently, going to add dark places to round 2 if i get that far. I was pretty interested in reading the other things she wrote as well.

message 38: by AmyK (new) - rated it 4 stars

AmyK (yakyma) | 1039 comments Janice wrote: "Amy (does your name have to be Amy?? LOL!)"

There were times i wished it wasn't while i was reading. I'm NOWHERE as crazy vindictive as that girl is!!

message 39: by AmyK (new) - rated it 4 stars

AmyK (yakyma) | 1039 comments Josee wrote: "I've had this book on my to-read list since the summer. I'll be reading it soon but as part of the Alphabet Low Octane Challenge. 5 books to read before this one... Looking forward to it!"

Make sure to come back and post what you thought of it Josee!

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments It is so difficult to like the characters in this book. I had forgotten how truly rotten and twisted they are. I like Boney, the police detective and Go, but it is difficult to find a character with redeeming qualities other than these so far.

You just keep wondering how far will it go?

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments April wrote: "I read this book last fall and loved it! Yes, very twisted, but at the same time, I found it very comical! Did anyone else see the humor in this? I guess I found it funny in a "Mr. and Mrs. Smit..."

I found it hilarious myself. now a second person says so and I don't have to feel like a psycho for finding humor.

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments as the kindle says I have 5% left to read and turn the page to be staring at the acknowledgements I assume we all say WTF its over now

message 43: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "April wrote: "I read this book last fall and loved it! Yes, very twisted, but at the same time, I found it very comical! Did anyone else see the humor in this? I guess I found it funny in a "Mr...."

Thank you, Travis! LOL I felt the same way. I was a little afraid to admit that I found humor in the book.

message 44: by Amy (last edited Jan 03, 2013 07:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 3 comments I loved this book...until the end. I was like...WHAT!? I wanted my own revenge on her insanity at some points! What a deranged soul Amy is. Although the more I think about it...I think Nick is also a bit off himself. Just perhaps not to the masochistic level of Amy...
What did you all think of the ending? I wanted more...
And yes, my real name is Amy... :)

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47271 comments Hi Amy! Welcome to our group and to the discussion of Gone Girl.

message 46: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 3 comments Thanks Janice! :)

message 47: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47271 comments I've changed the title to include a warning about spoilers. Where possible, please use the spoiler tags (instructions under link "(some html is ok)". This is one book that spoilers can ruin the whole effect.

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments (view spoiler)

I think this is just one of many examples of how the author builds tension effectively.

Valerie Zink | 6 comments I read the book in two days. I literally could not put it down. It is hard to like any of the characters except maybe Go, but that is what makes the book so unique. It totally has the whole "unreliable narrator" thing going on, which also keeps the mystery up even after it starts to be obvious what is going on...trying to talk in code a bit here.

A bunch of people I have talked to say they did not like it. It certainly is not a "warm and fuzzy" type of book. It seems by the end that the ending is actually appropriate to me....

message 50: by AmyK (new) - rated it 4 stars

AmyK (yakyma) | 1039 comments Amy wrote: "I loved this book...until the end. I was like...WHAT!? I wanted my own revenge on her insanity at some points! What a deranged soul Amy is. Although the more I think about it...I think Nick is also..."

I think i said "What?!" out loud and then called my mom to tell her how mad I was about the ending.

Also, welcome Fellow Amy :)

« previous 1 3