Romeo and Juliet Romeo and Juliet discussion

Romeo, Mercutio, Tybalt?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Thoughts?

Leah On all of them...?

Annemarie Donahue Mercutio's sort of the only reason I can teach this book. Otherwise it's dull as dishwater.
My students always end up wanting to talk about Tybalt, Mercutio and Benvolio.
Are you alluding to the possible love Mercutio had for Romeo which is why he happily defended R's honor from T and felt so betrayed when he ended up getting stabbed?

Leah Well Mercutio and Romeo were best friends

Leah I found Mercutio to be kind of cocky.

Leah Leah wrote: "I found Mercutio to be kind of cocky."

( I like your name btw)

Well, that was his character, wasn't it? The comic relief.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Annemarie wrote: "Mercutio's sort of the only reason I can teach this book. Otherwise it's dull as dishwater.
My students always end up wanting to talk about Tybalt, Mercutio and Benvolio.
Are you alluding to the po..."

First I've heard of that! I just wanted to see what people thought about all of them. In my opinion, Tybalt and Romeo were polar opposites, Mercutio was somewhere in the middle, and all three were endearing. Too bad they all ended up dead. :(

Sarah i just wanted mercutio and romeo to get together. :(

Leah Leah wrote: "Leah wrote: "I found Mercutio to be kind of cocky."

( I like your name btw)

Well, that was his character, wasn't it? The comic relief."

(Love your name too! :) )

Reyhaneh Mercutio was cool.
Tybalt got on my nerves.
Romeo is just stupid.
Great story

message 11: by C.P. (last edited Jan 13, 2013 04:39PM) (new)

C.P. Lesley At the risk of being obvious, let me note that it's a play. So the actors make a huge difference.

In Franco Zeffirelli's film, for example (and everyone should see that film—he really brings the story to life, and it's on Netflix, among other places), Michael York's Tybalt steals the show. Even so, Romeo is far from stupid: he's a young man who really has never understood love until he sees Juliet, and then he's swept away by emotion. The whole story makes sense.

Zayne K. Mercutio was my favorite. Romeo was fine, and Tybalt was annoying.

message 13: by Cait (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cait Romeo was excessively whiny and obnoxious the entire time. Tybalt was kind of an asshole, and I didn't like him one bit. He was just annoying and rude. Mercutio was a lively, kindred spirit who was looking in the best interest of his friends.

William Anybody but Romeo. I agree with Cait, Romeo is always whining and ready to take his own life at the drop of a hat if things don't go his way. "Yet thou art not happy."

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Mercrutio for sure. Tybalt had anger management issues, and Romeo was a whiny teenager who let his hormones rule his life. I mean really, you meet a thirteen year old girl and within the time span of about two days you marry her, take away her virginity, and then die, while along the way killing two people directly and one indirectly.
Mercrutio was the only one who did not irritate me out of my brain. He was funny, and not crazy

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, you can't really expect three 16-year-old boys and one 13-year-old girl to behave responsibly and maturely. They all made some bad decisions, but really, it was their families' faults for fighting so much for so long. Mercutio and Paris just got caught in the crossfire, poor things. I really felt for them.

Daniela Romeo is my favourite

Ayesh Reyhaneh wrote: "Mercutio was cool.
Tybalt got on my nerves.
Romeo is just stupid.
Great story"

I totally agree romeo's stupid.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Ayesh wrote: "Reyhaneh wrote: "Mercutio was cool.
Tybalt got on my nerves.
Romeo is just stupid.
Great story"

I totally agree romeo's stupid."

Yeah, he is.

message 20: by Rad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rad Baker I think that it would be wonderful to have a man love you as much as Romeo loved Juliet. Tybalt would be great as a bodyguard. Mercutio would just get on my nerves.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I beg to differ, personally I don't believe Romeo loved at all Juliet. I think he was attracted to her purely for her looks and her sexual appeal. He didn't know her long enough to love the person she is. I'd rather a man loved me for who I was rather than how I looked.

William Can you imagine Romeo and Juliet after twenty years of marriage let alone ten? I can't!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

William wrote: "Can you imagine Romeo and Juliet after twenty years of marriage let alone ten? I can't!"
Me neither. Not even after five.

message 24: by William (last edited Jan 28, 2013 05:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

William They were burning the candle at both ends. They were definitely "star-crossed lovers," but more like shooting stars. At least they got laid before they died.

Ellie Mercutio was a bit... sexual. A little too much so for my taste, not to say that there weren't other characters who indulged in a myriad of innuendos.

Romeo was weak of character, constantly being whatever his family, his friends, or Juliet wanted him to be, but never forming his own true identity. Really Juliet wore the pants in their relationship.

message 26: by Kuno (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kuno Mercutio was a good character, Romeo was okay, and Tybalt was annoying. I agree with Zayne.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I always loved Paris... Paris, anyone?

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Dominique wrote: "I always loved Paris... Paris, anyone?"
Bor-ing.

Snowballina Benvolio was my favorite character best looking one in the movie for sure! Based off of the book I'd say Romeo but in the movie Romeo's a spitting image of Zac Efron. Weird........ I hated Tybalt and Paris they both seemed rich and snobby.

Jackie Romeo was a love-sick weakling who caused Mercutio's death. I mean, it was all his fault. And then he didn't even honor Mercutio's death and went and killed Tybylt, thus dishonoring his new wife as well.
As for Mercutio....as far as Romeo's friends go I preferred Benvolio. Better name, better character, better sense.
Tybylt was my least favorite male character. He was snobby, stuck-up, battle-hungry, and just purely evil. Plus, slightly stalkerish......I mean who goes to kill a guy just for showing up to a party uninvited?

Vicky Am I the only one who believes, Mercutio should take most of the blame for Romeo and Juliet's untimely death?
He was the one who convinced Romeo to attend the Capulet party, even though he didn't want to. I know Shakespeare added in Romeo's dream possibly for the irony, but without Mercutio's teasing Romeo may have never met Juliet. Then when Mercutio is severely wounded by Tybalt, he claims it to be a scratch, making it easier for him to die. He could have told everyone he was dying, but he didn't. Tybalt probably would have helped him retrieve help, because he wasn't necessarily a Capulet, and it wasn't his intention to kill him.
This is why I believe Mercutio is one of Shakespeare's best characters, because he may seem to be the fun loving clown, but he really did cause a lot of this.
I know Romeo and Juliet were star crossed lovers, and were destined to be together, but Mercutio didn't make it any easier.

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited May 20, 2013 12:59PM) (new)

Brooke wrote: "Dominique wrote: "I always loved Paris... Paris, anyone?"
Bor-ing."

But Paris was the only one that was consistently a gentlemen to Juliet, even when she clearly wasn't being nice to him. And his last wish, after Romeo killed him for bringing FLOWERS to her grave, was to lay him next to Juliet. Come on, he was the sincerely nicest guy in the book.

People just hate him for getting in the way of Romeo and Juliet's love life. If anything, Romeo jumped from one passionate 'I will love you for all eternity' relationship right to another, and all in the space of the day. And come on, the whole 'I see you across the room and fall madly in-love without ever having previously met you' is kind of stupid. Paris at least talked to her first.

message 33: by [deleted user] (last edited May 20, 2013 12:59PM) (new)

Jbird wrote: "Romeo was a love-sick weakling who caused Mercutio's death. I mean, it was all his fault. And then he didn't even honor Mercutio's death and went and killed Tybylt, thus dishonoring his new wife ..."

Tybalt... sorry. spelling nazi here.

Also, good point Vicky, never thought about that.

Marian Benvolio was the only character I liked. Plus, he doesn't die.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Jbird wrote: "Romeo was a love-sick weakling who caused Mercutio's death. I mean, it was all his fault."
YES. IT WAS.

"And then he didn't even honor Mercutio's death and went and killed Tybylt, thus dishonoring his new wife."
I guess we can't have them all pulling a Brutus, but yeah. It just goes to show how selfish Romeo and Juliet became after their marriage. They didn't really care about anyone but themselves and each other. In my opinion, your best friend and your cousin are more important than some girl or guy you've known for a maximum of 24 hours.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that they all contributed to the story in their own way and if you were to choose one it wouldn't be the story anymore

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Brooke wrote: "Jbird wrote: "Romeo was a love-sick weakling who caused Mercutio's death. I mean, it was all his fault."
YES. IT WAS.

"And then he didn't even honor Mercutio's death and went and killed Tybylt,..."

(A) this is why Romeo and Juliet is a comedy. (B) The idea at this point is they're pulling the whole 'true love at first sight' gig, here. I'm not a romantic, but the idea that you'd sacrifice your friends and family for your soul mate (though not without anguish) seems logical to me.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorcha wrote: "I think that they all contributed to the story in their own way and if you were to choose one it wouldn't be the story anymore"

Yes, but the point of this was to take them out of the story and pick favorites;). I'm still toting Paris's heart around with me.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Dominique wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Jbird wrote: "Romeo was a love-sick weakling who caused Mercutio's death. I mean, it was all his fault."
YES. IT WAS.

"And then he didn't even honor Mercutio's death and went and..."

Oh, is it? I thought it was a tragedy.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Dominique wrote: "Sorcha wrote: "I think that they all contributed to the story in their own way and if you were to choose one it wouldn't be the story anymore"

Yes, but the point of this was to take them out of th..."

Well, i suppose if i had to choose one i'd pick Mercutio, as he gives his life to save Romeo at the hands of Tybalt.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Brooke wrote: "Dominique wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Jbird wrote: "Romeo was a love-sick weakling who caused Mercutio's death. I mean, it was all his fault."
YES. IT WAS.

"And then he didn't even honor Mercutio's ..."

Comedic tragedy... come on, was I the only one who caught this? What else comes to thought when I tell you two people fell in love, secretly married and died over a period of three days?
And please, Romeo is such a playboy.

message 42: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Stupidity is what comes to my mind. I never found their love to be entirely sincere. It was very sudden and didn't feel substantial to me.

By the way, about Mercutio and Tybalt dying. . . I've been upset with Romeo for a while now about that. Listen, if two people are fighting, and if they won't listen to you, let them kill each other. You tried, Romeo. Now let it go. Hard as that would be. They aren't going to listen to you anytime soon. Their choice to be stupid.

And about Mercutio being the cause of all this. . . He may have encouraged Romeo to go to the party, but Romeo made the ultimate choice to go at all.

Needless to say, Romeo and Juliet is not my favorite play by Shakespeare.

William Dominique wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Dominique wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Jbird wrote: "Romeo was a love-sick weakling who caused Mercutio's death. I mean, it was all his fault."
YES. IT WAS.

"And then he didn't even ho..."

Can you even imagine them celebrating their tenth anniversary together?

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

William wrote: "Dominique wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Dominique wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Jbird wrote: "Romeo was a love-sick weakling who caused Mercutio's death. I mean, it was all his fault."
YES. IT WAS.

"And then..."

Nope. Romeo would see another pretty lady across the room, and meet his soul mate again.

William Dominique wrote: "William wrote: "Dominique wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Dominique wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Jbird wrote: "Romeo was a love-sick weakling who caused Mercutio's death. I mean, it was all his fault."
YES. IT W..."

A little like Henry the VIII.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

William wrote: "Dominique wrote: "William wrote: "Dominique wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Dominique wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Jbird wrote: "Romeo was a love-sick weakling who caused Mercutio's death. I mean, it was all his..."

Pretty much.