Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Incorrect cover for ISBN#0345391837

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chad (new)

Chad Trotter (sirchode) | 4 comments So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

The actual cover for this ISBN is the same one as located here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia...

This is the first time I've posted one of these and I can't seem to find guidelines, so please let me know if there's anything else I can/should do to help. Thanks!

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44985 comments Mod
It's not incorrect; the book was published with two different covers under the same ISBN. Happens all the time. I'm creating an alternate edition.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

message 4: by Chad (new)

Chad Trotter (sirchode) | 4 comments I see. How annoying! Thanks for handling it!

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44985 comments Mod
ISBNs cost money and are in limited supply. So publishers recycle!

message 6: by Chad (new)

Chad Trotter (sirchode) | 4 comments I was going to send you a private message but I can't figure out how I'd do that without adding you as a friend, so I'll ask here: If I wanted to go on a spree and update the low-quality covers I'm seeing for books on my shelf, would I have to annoy someone like you about that? Could I do it myself? Is this kind of behavior frowned upon?

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Chad, Please don't delete any covers. Just manually add an alternate edition as described above. Some members have those covers and want their shelves to show them. Thanks.

message 8: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments If you have higher-resolution scans of the same art, though, that's worth uploading! You have to be a librarian to upload book covers (unless you're manually adding a new edition of a book, which you shouldn't need to do here unless you have different cover art), so you can apply to be a librarian yourself once you have fifty books shelves on your account or you can upload the images elsewhere and ask existing librarians to upload the images as you did here (we're happy to do it).

message 9: by Chad (last edited Mar 04, 2009 09:15PM) (new)

Chad Trotter (sirchode) | 4 comments I suppose that was a little unclear. I wouldn't be changing the cover but rather contributing a more crisp and clean version if the existing version is faded or messy. Regardless, I'll take your counsel to heart and simply add alternate versions.

Edit: Thanks, Cait. Just what I needed to know.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Chad, Ah, sorry, I did misunderstand. Doing that would be fine.