Comfort Reads discussion

General > Earbuds / Headphones for small ears

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I really need some advice. I have teeny ears. I can never try the earbuds in the stores, and I cannot go around buying pair after pair in the hope that they fit. The last pair that I bought were made by Phillips with good base control. It came with three sizes of flexible foam covers. I have tried all sizes, trying to stuff the big ones into my outer ear and the small one into the inner ear. Within three minutes they have fallen out. I tried opening my mouth, to widen the ear canal. I read that could help. I have to stand absolutely still. There isn't a possibility I can walk with these in my ears. What am I to do?

I have had large headphones previously. They fell off while I was walking, then hit off and broke my glasses.

Yes, I am super frustrated and mad.

A friend showed me a site for small earbuds. There I was told that Etymotic Research Inc has a pair called 6i Isolator earphones that are cone shaped rather than round, but they cost 149USD. They work for Ipods, which is what I use. I cannot just buy these and HOPE they fit in my peculiar ears.

When I bought the Phillips earbuds I was told that the guy's 5 year old daughter used them, so surely they would work in my ears. They didn't.

HELP!

message 2: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks I don't have tiny ears, but I have as yet not found ANY earbuds that work for me (they ALWAYS fall out of my ears). I have to use traditional headphones (I wonder if you can get headphones with some kind of a mechanism so they won't fall off). That is probably not good advice, but you can get headphones of various sizes. I also wonder wether there is something like custom made headphones or custom made ear buds. Good luck.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments What about clip ons? Some like them. http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Adjusta...

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments PS I hope you find a solution, I'm sure you're v frustrated.

message 5: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Laura, thank you for giving me the site. I don't know how the clips will work with glasses. Which do you have on top of the other, the glasses or the eabud clips?

Gundula, I think our ears might be similar..... There is just no space for the earbuds.

John, at the audiogroup, has the Etymotic ones. They have foam pieces that you put in the canals. They expand once they are put in. Sounds good! But they cost 149USD so I cannot make a mistake.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments I think the clips clip to the ear and don't touch the glasses at all, Chrissie.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Chrissie, I wish you could try on those $149 ones.

I've never found comfortable ear buds, or ones that will stay in either, especially if I move. I've never thought about the size of my ears???

I have found okay headphones.

Can you ask if you can return the $149 ear buds if they don't work for you?

And for headphones, I would be there is a way to keep them on, and hopefully someone here or where they sell them can tell you.

Good luck!!!

message 8: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Lisa, I certainly do intend on asking if I can return the Etymotics if they do not work!

Who would have thought my ears were so strange! I WILL find a solution. Other's run with them on. There simply must be some solution!

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill Goodwin | 1 comments I guess I need advice on headphones. Earbuds make my ears hurt after awhile...I think I just have sensitive ears So what do you suggest in the way of comfortable headphones?

message 10: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Jill wrote: "I guess I need advice on headphones. Earbuds make my ears hurt after awhile...I think I just have sensitive ears So what do you suggest in the way of comfortable headphones?"

I have sensitive ears as well and earbuds (when they don't fall off) as well as smaller headphones also make my ears hurt. I have found that the large, leather or fake leather padded headphones are generally the most comfortable for me (the downside with these is that they tend to be large and are not as portable and as wearable out and about as smaller headphones are).

message 11: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Jill, I am too am still working on finding a comfortable solution. I will tell you if/when I find a solution. I do have a huge pair of headphones made by JVC, but they fell off and broke my glasses. I also have discovered that my ears itch when I use them a lot. I think the temperature in the ear increases and you get more wax. I never, ever had wax before. Not in my whole life! My hope is that the Etymotics brand mentioned above will be wonderful.

message 12: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I wanted to tell others, who have difficulty finding earbuds that actually fit/stay in the ears AND feel comfortable, that I have finally found some good ones. I got the Etymotics HF style. They are pricey, but I have become an audiobook fanatic so I consider them a necessity. You get four different earbuds in the package. Two sizes of earbuds that are kind of soft jagged pieces, one called a glider and the fourth which is a piece of foam which you squish up, open your mouth and stick in your ear as far as you can. You hold it pushed in a while because it expands to fill up your ear. You open your mouth since this widens your ear canal. This is the first that really fits my ear. They do not fall out! None of the others work AND they are comfortable. They silence outside noises. The HF model is supposed to be the slimmest model, so they are the ones suggested for small ears, not the ones for kids.

On the wire you can turn off the audiobook and adjust the volume. They are made particularly for Ipods, Iphones and Ipads, but I don't know if they work with other brands.

They are black.

I hope this helps others. This has been a big problem for me!

Amazon sells them.

I want to thank Laura for sending me a link about them! Without her I would never have found them.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks, Chrissie. Great information! I'm glad you've found something that works well.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Amen. Me too. :)

message 15: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie :0)

message 16: by Travis (new)

Travis Pilewski | 1 comments I've had this problem for years. I'm a 6'4" male and I have small ear canals. Over Christmas, I purchased some headphones for my girlfriend and her mother that were designed for women. They are made by Altec. They are the bliss line.

http://www.jr.com/altec-lansing/pe/AS...

Anyway, I tried them out and they are very comfortable and I never have problems with them falling out. I can even go running in them. My problem now is finding a more gender neutral color/style.

message 17: by Elena (new)

Elena | 1 comments Chrissie wrote: "I really need some advice. I have teeny ears. I can never try the earbuds in the stores, and I cannot go around buying pair after pair in the hope that they fit. The last pair that I bought were ma..."

i've got the EXACT same problem - you vould try beats my brother has the and they work pretty good for me, too. :)

message 18: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I can add that my Etymotic earbuds remain great, but you guys, do not use any earbuds for more than one hour if the volume is above 1/2 of the total. You can hurt your ears. Basically, turn that volume down until it is the lowest possible but still enables you to hear the words.

message 19: by Kalsi (new)

Kalsi | 1 comments For small ears check out VSonic GR07. Also see http://www.bestearbudschoices.com

message 20: by Books (new)

Books Her (booksforher) | 1 comments I've been using the Comfort Petite Earbuds from JLab. They are super, small and comfy - had them for years so they must be durable: http://www.jlabaudio.com/collections/...

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks, Books. They do look good. I'll keep them in mind for myself too.

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) You too, Kalsi! I just saw your post. Thank you!

message 23: by Boomer (new)

Boomer Foster (pyroboomer) | 2 comments i may not have the same problem as yourself but i am quite particular when it comes to listening devices.(audiobook obsession as well)

i always get skullcandy brand. i can never find similar quality for its price. i've found them to have really good sound and very comfortable in comparison.

anyway, i know you found a good pair already but they seem to be very pricey and if you ever want to have something on the go without risking your good pair you should try some that are similar to the clip ons but they wrap around your neck.

the wrap arounds are made with internal and external speaks but even if they are a bit wonky in your ears they sit ontop of your ear lobes and wrap around your neck so your not at risk of losing them or dropping them. i'm not sure how well they would work with glasses though.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHQ4200...

anyway, i'm glad you found a solution but, like i said, it might be helpful to have a cheap back up so your good ones arnt at risk. :)