Anything Goes discussion

ARCHIVES > Quarterly Classic for January 2013 - Readers free choice

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments This is for anyone wanting to add some classics to their reading for 2013. If we follow on from last year, we'd start this in Feb, however the Iliad didn't get much of a "take-up" so we can start a new one in January.

Instead of polling some nominations, for one quarter only, we will have free choice to pick anything you like. All I ask is that you find a couple of minutes to post your choice and reading experience. Please feel free to set up any books as side-reads with a separate thread.

My own choice for this quarter is Ruth, by Elizabeth Gaskell, Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell . I'm happy for anyone to join me

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments So has anyone decided what to go for? The bleak January and February months always make me think Dickens?!

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Have to think - too much on the go at the moment!

message 4: by Joan (new)

Joan Chris, I think I will join you in reading ]Ruth. I've just downloaded it to the kindle.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Great! It's nice to have someone to chat with during a good read. I'm way behind, but we've got until the end of March

message 6: by Joan (new)

Joan I also shall have to wait for a week or so before starting it - so many others to read before they go overdue at the library!

message 7: by Joan (new)

Joan Just started reading my classic choice for this quarter - Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell. Seems an easy read so far.

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments OOps, Sorry Joan, I meant to post here that I'd finished it. It was a nice easy read, and I enjoyed it. The only "flaw" (I don't think this is a spoiler) was; like lots of Victorian novels the character of the heroine is painted so "unwaveringly good and nice".

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ruth (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Elizabeth Gaskell (other topics)