SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Topics > Planning for 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
Here you can keep track of what you are planning to read.

message 2: by Barbara (last edited May 31, 2013 08:42AM) (new)

my spot!

Riana: If I Stay (If I Stay #1) by Gayle Forman

Lu: The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1) by Laura Bickle

Liezel: Horns by Joe Hill

Carolien: The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Lauren: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Emma: A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison

Sharle: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Claudia: Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Varla Fiona: Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett

message 3: by Lauren (last edited Jan 08, 2013 01:47AM) (new)

Lauren Smith Booking my spot :)

Barbara:
Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy #1) by Jacqueline Carey

Claudia:
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer or Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Lu:
The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa or The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1) by Laura Bickle

Varla-Fiona
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

Liezel
Room by Emma Donoghue

Riana
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins

Sharle
The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Emma
The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, #1) by Clay Griffith

Carolien
The Red Tent A Novel by Anita Diamant or The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

message 4: by Claudia (last edited Aug 18, 2013 03:45AM) (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Barbara : The Island
Lauren : The Rook
Lu: The Casual Vacancy
✔Varla Fiona : Un Lun Dun
✔Liezel : The Way of Shadows
✔Riana : The Hunger Games
Sharle : Cornerstone
Emma : The Greyfriar
Carolien : Before The Poison

message 5: by Lu (last edited Aug 01, 2013 01:24PM) (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Total: 3/9

Lauren: The Rook
✔Claudia: Cinder
Varla: Un Lun Dun
✔Barbara: The Night Circus
✔Liezel: Room
Riana: House Rules
Sharle: Slammed
Emma: Beautiful Disaster
Carolien: Before The Poison

message 6: by Varla Fiona (last edited Jul 09, 2013 11:20PM) (new)

Varla Fiona (dory_42) | 1332 comments Mod
Total: 8/9

✔Barbara: The Night Circus
✔Lauren: The Rook
✔Claudia: Cinder
✔Lu: On the Island
✔Liezel: The Way of Shadows
Riana: House Rules
✔Sharle: The Help
✔Emma: The Kill Artist
✔Carolien: Before The Poison

message 7: by Riana (last edited Jan 07, 2013 05:37AM) (new)

Riana | 397 comments So far I think I will go with:

Barbara: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Claudia: Cinder
Lu: On the Island
Liezel: Bitterblue
Sharle: The Help
Emma: A Walk Across the Sun
Carolien: The Red Tent: A Novel

message 8: by Liezel (last edited Dec 30, 2013 04:59AM) (new)

Liezel (liezkl) | 736 comments Barbara: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
✔Lauren: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Claudia: The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) by J.R.R. Tolkien
✔Lu: The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1) by Laura Bickle
✔Varla: Un Lun Dun by China Miéville
✔Riana: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
✔Sharle: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
✔Emma: Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire
Carolien: The Red Tent by Anita Diamant Summary & Study Guide by BookRags or The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

6/9

message 9: by Emma (last edited Jul 09, 2013 12:05PM) (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Ok Here goes.

Barbara Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey

Lauren Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Claudia] The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien READ

LU The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1) by Laura Bickle READ

Varla Fiona Un Lun Dun by China Miéville

Liezel The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson READ

RianaHome Front by Kristin HannahREAD

SharleThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green

CarolienBefore The Poison by Peter Robinson

message 10: by Sharle (last edited Jan 28, 2013 10:54PM) (new)

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Emma wrote: "Ok Here goes.

BarbaraKushiel's Scion (Imriel's Trilogy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey

LaurenGone Girl by Gillian Flynn

ClaudiaCinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa MeyerorThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

LUThe Whisperer by Donato Carrisi..."

I see you are going to read Kushiel's Scion. Do you know that although it is the first part of a trilogy it is actually the fourth part of a larger series consisting of 3 trilogies? And have you read the first trilogy? Because if you haven't you are welcome to start with the first in the series.

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Barbara wrote: "Emma wrote: "Ok Here goes.

ClaudiaCinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa MeyerorThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

LU[bookcover:The Whispe..."

Hi Barbara, I noticed that Lauren had chosen Kushiel's Dart so I might read that one first. I would hate it, if I really loved the book and then would need to go back and read the rest of the books. I do like to read in order. Thanks for the heads up.

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Riana wrote: "So far I think I will go with:

Emma: A Walk Across..."

I think you will really enjoy A Walk across the sun Riana. Of all the books I nominated it was my favourite. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Emma wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Emma wrote: "Ok Here goes.

LU[book..."

Please do start at the beginning. If you do love the series it would spoil the first trilogy if you start with the second.

message 15: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 2040 comments Mod
Emma wrote: "Riana wrote: "So far I think I will go with:

Emma:..."

I'm glad to hear that, I also want to read it.

message 16: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments So Ive noticed that there are people that have chosen the same books as other members, Lauren has also chosen Kushiel's Dart and Cinder and there are a few other books that aswell. Was just wondering if anyind would want to have read along partners. Might be fun. Just needs a bit of scheduling.

message 17: by Barbara (new)

I won't make my final decision on what to read untill the nominations are over and the challenge has started because then you can't change them anymore. (And then I still have to buy the books.) Having said that I'll probably go for Gone Girl too and I would love to read that with you. I might even reread Kushiel's Dart, but that depends on whatever else I am going to read.

message 18: by Varla Fiona (new)

I haven't finished my choices yet either, but keen for readalongs if there is overlap.

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Same here. Barbara and I did a couple of buddy reads for this challenge last year, and it's a good opportunity to do the same again.

message 20: by Carolien (new)

I'd be interested as well. I must say, you end up with a formidable reading list for this challenge of great books. The only other concern I have is that it can get quite expensive. I know I own only 2 books on my initial list. So the library will have to be very helpful. Alternatively I was wondering whether some of us would be willing to lend copies out of the ones that we own? It will probably only work for those of us in Gauteng since we'll have to get together, but it may make it a bit more affordable.

message 21: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Lending out books can be tricky, especially when you are attached to your books and don't want anyone damaging them, even knowing the person you are lending to feels the same way about books as you. Unfortunately I only have two of the books nominated for this challenge and postage back and forth won't be worth it in my opinion.
Challenges like these certainly make me thankful for my ereader! :)

message 22: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Claudia wrote: "Lending out books can be tricky, especially when you are attached to your books and don't want anyone damaging them, even knowing the person you are lending to feels the same way about books as you..."

Completely agree Claudia, I never have a problem sending someone an ebook:-) I dont think I would ever go out nd buy book just for a challenge. This way I lose nothing, but I still love paper books.

message 23: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
I have none of the books, so they will all probably be e-books :)

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I'll be buying most of mine too, in eBook since it's easier.

message 25: by Barbara (new)

I will also be buying mine but I still do the real books thing. There goes my book budget for the year. I just hope you nominated some really great books!

message 26: by Liezel (new)

Liezel (liezkl) | 736 comments I guess I'm lucky that I have most of the books already, just never got around to reading them. Now I have a good excuse to :)

message 27: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Barbara wrote: "I won't make my final decision on what to read untill the nominations are over and the challenge has started because then you can't change them anymore. (And then I still have to buy the books.) Ha..."

@ Barbara and Lauren Would be good to read some books together, hopefully they will be the cause of a good discussion as usual. :-) Just let me know when you guys have finalised your books then we can schedule when to read and what. This goes to all members who wish to read along, the more the merrier.

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Emma wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I won't make my final decision on what to read untill the nominations are over and the challenge has started because then you can't change them anymore. (And then I still have to bu..."

Ok I just wanted to Bump this topic, as we start thi new challenge on Friday. I was wondering if anyone wants to go read alongs. I am plannin on reading Kushiels Dart Barbara's nomination first and will start on Friday if anyone wants to join in?

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I'll be reading that too, but I won't be able to start on Friday I'm afraid. Can't say when I will be reading it though.

message 30: by Varla Fiona (new)

I plan on reading that too, but I want to finish something else first.

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Emma wrote: "Emma wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I won't make my final decision on what to read untill the nominations are over and the challenge has started because then you can't change them anymore. (And then I sti..."

I marked this topic as important so it will be listed first.

message 32: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Well I dont mind reading something else and waiting for you guys. Ive got 2 books I want to finish anyway. I would prefer to read aloNG? If you can let me know when I can plan around it and read something else.

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I can't really give you a time, but February is definitely out. If you schedule it for some time after mid-March, I'll make time for it. Or is that too late?

message 34: by Varla Fiona (new)

I'm keen for read along. Once I finish the current epic I am reading, I'm free to read anytime.

message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Well basically this is what I planned on reading, give or take a day or two. I might not read 2 books in a week, but it might help other members organise read alongs if they know what I am reading and when. So here goes.

1st week Feb - Kushiel's Dart and Un Lun Dun

2nd Week - Gone Girl and The Hobbit

3rd Week - The hallowed ones and The Gargoyle

4th Week - Home Front and The fault in our stars

March

1st week - Before the poison

@Lauren I was quite keen on reading that book first, mid march seems ages away for me. :-) Shame because I was looking forward to reading along with you. Maybe theres something else we can read together.

message 36: by Carolien (last edited Dec 29, 2013 08:37AM) (new)

Barbara
Completed The Night Circus

Lauren
Completed Gone Girl

Claudia
Completed Zoo City

Lu
Completed The Whisperer

Varla
Completed Good Omens

Riana
Completed If I Stay

Sharle
Completed The Help

Liezel
Completed Room

Emma
Completed The Kill Artist

9/9

message 37: by Varla Fiona (new)

Just read Cinder.

Awesome book. Thanks for the nomination, Claudia. I want the rest of the series now, not over the next three years...

message 38: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer comes out on Tuesday. :)
But the wait for the other two is much too long.

message 39: by Varla Fiona (new)

Yeah, I will definitely be looking out for a copy of Scarlet!

message 40: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Was really struggling with Barbara's choice, so decided to read Lu's instead. Finished The Hallowed Ones.

message 41: by Barbara (new)

Gosh, you guys are fast! I hadn't even made a points topic yet. But now I have.
Could everyone who has finished a book please mention it there?
Thank you!

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith This is a horrible thing to ask, but can everyone state what they found to be the quickest read of their nominations? Not necessarily the shortest - an easy read can take less time than a shorter but tougher novel.

I'm not lazy, and there are some books that I definitely want to read regardless of length, but I may have trouble finding time to finish this challenge, in which case I'll need an easy way out.

message 43: by Varla Fiona (new)

Cinder was a very easy read, I finished it in one day.

message 44: by Barbara (new)

Lauren wrote: "This is a horrible thing to ask, but can everyone state what they found to be the quickest read of their nominations? Not necessarily the shortest - an easy read can take less time than a shorter b..."

No it isn't! We all know you have a busy schedule and read mostly books you have to review and have little time left to pick books you want.

You already picked one of the quickest read of my list. The Dostoyeski is not for everyone and even though it is short it is typical Dostoyevski so a lot of psychological stuff going on. The same is of course true for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest.

The Night Circus You have already read so that is a no no.

That leaves the Island and Kushiel's Avatar. They are the longest books on my list but also the easiest. I read the second Jacqueline Carey trilogy in only 4-5 days. Which meant I read about 600 pages a day. I just couldn't put it down. The Island was a book I read for the Choose Wisely challenge and at first I thought I wouldn't like it but again I couldn't put it down. So I read that in no time too.

message 45: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments From my list: Winter's Bone is short and I'd say it was an easy read. Cinder is longer, but you may find it more interesting.

message 46: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I think youve already chosen a pretty easy read from my list Lauren. Its probably something you might like too. But I would have thought you might have chosen A walk across the sun, It just seems more your cup of tea.None of my picks are particularly long though. Im not really into long books myself which is why Im finding Kushiel's dart really difficult. Infact I might not read it.

message 47: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Thanks guys! I probably wouldn't have this problem if I didn't do so many reading challenges, but I'm addicted :)

@Barbara, Emma: Kushiel's Dart is something I've wanted to read for a long time, so it's one of the books I'd try to make time for anyway. Sorry to hear that you're finding it difficult Emma, but if you want to try again later in year, maybe we can do that buddy read after all :)

@Claudia: Thanks, I'll check out Winter's Bone again. I see several people are planning to read Cinder though, so maybe we can do a buddy read.

@Emma: A Walk Across the Sun is actually the kind of book I avoid. It's too real, and too sad. If the two children were mythological beings I probably would have given it a shot :)

message 48: by Liezel (new)

Liezel (liezkl) | 736 comments Lauren wrote: "This is a horrible thing to ask, but can everyone state what they found to be the quickest read of their nominations? Not necessarily the shortest - an easy read can take less time than a shorter b..."

Room and Bitterblue are the easiest reads on my list, but for Bitterblue you need to have read Graceling first.

message 49: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Thanks Liezel! I have a review copy of Room, so I'll definitely go with that then.

message 50: by Barbara (last edited Feb 06, 2013 07:49AM) (new)

Liezel wrote: "Lauren wrote: "This is a horrible thing to ask, but can everyone state what they found to be the quickest read of their nominations? Not necessarily the shortest - an easy read can take less time t..."

I have read Graceling and Fire is on my to read list. I have Bitterblue pre-ordered in the edition that fits in with the other two I have, but the book I am going to read from your list for this challenge is Horns. So excited about that book!

« previous 1