SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Topics > The Deserted island Challenge nominations for 2013

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
We are going to do this challenge again in 2013 and we will start on 1 February.

The idea of this challenge is that you are being send to a deserted island and you can only bring 5 books with you. Which books will it be?????

Last time we used our all time favorites so this time we are going to use our favorites of 2012. This means that you have to have read these books in 2012. They don't have to have been published in 2012. Also nominate books that you think were absolutely fantastic. Preferably 5 star books, but 4 stars are also allowed. 1 star books are not allowed. This is a challenge to get great recommendations not to make each others lifes difficult. We have other challenges for that. :P

If you want to participate in this challenge, nominate 5 books. If you nominate 5 books we expect you to participate. So don't nominate just for the hell of it.

Last time we also nominated 2 reserve books, but since we didn't need them at all, we won't do that again. So just nominate the 5 best books you read in 2012. And you have untill 1 February to do this.

To complete this challenge you have to read one book of each person who nominated.

message 2: by Barbara (last edited Jan 03, 2013 12:14AM) (new)

My nominations:

The Eternal Husband by Fyodor Dostoyevsky One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern The Island by Victoria Hislop Kushiel's Scion (Imriel's Trilogy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey
The last book by Jacqueline Carey is a part of a larger series set in Terre D'Ange. You may read the first book in the series or any other book depemding on if you have read any of this series yet.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith My Nominations:

Ragnarok by A.S. Byatt The Rook by Daniel O'Malley Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn The Habitation of the Blessed (A Dirge for Prester John, #1) by Catherynne M. Valente The Etymologicon A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language by Mark Forsyth

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Is non-fiction allowed?

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Yes! I said books not novels.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I know, but was just checking :)

message 7: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I fared so poorly with the previous Deserted Island, only managed to read 2 of the books.

Will I be allowed back? :P

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein Zoo City by Lauren Beukes

message 8: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I will try and to better this year! I promise!

I also wanted to nominate Gone Girl. Guys you need to read it!

My nominations:

The Whisperer by Donato Carrisi On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1) by Laura Bickle

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Yes, you guys will be allowed back. :) I know you really wanted to read more but somehow didn't.
It is just that I have seen several people in other challenges that get all exited and bossy and in the end they don't read a book for the challenge and you never hear from them again. I want serious recommendations from serious people. I just don't want to have to read some crappy book, because someone thought it was funny to nominate it.

message 10: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2452 comments Mod
*Shuffles out of thread*

message 11: by Barbara (new)

No, come back. You can come in. I didn't mean you. I know you would have read for this challenge if you had a chance and I did like your nominations.
No I was talking about other people. For example in the parasol protectorate there was this one member (a new one) that made a planning thread and send me a private email with some comments about how I should do the challenge and what tasks there should be in it and then didn't read a book. OK that challenge isn't over yet, but the planning thread is gone and the (now ex)member hasn't been active in a month. I mean those people.

message 12: by Varla Fiona (new)

Varla Fiona (dory_42) | 1332 comments Mod
My nominations:

Achieving The Impossible A Fearless Hero. A Fragile Earth by Lewis Gordon Pugh Micro by Michael Crichton Un Lun Dun by China Miéville Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1) by Derek Landy Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

message 13: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2452 comments Mod
Barbara wrote: "No, come back. You can come in. I didn't mean you. I know you would have read for this challenge if you had a chance and I did like your nominations.
No I was talking about other people. For exampl..."

I was joking, but I'm going to sit out on this challenge. I have far too many review books and series I want to read in 2013.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

As long as it is your own choice and not something I said. And if you change your mind, know you'ld be welcome.

message 15: by Liezel (new)

Liezel (liezkl) | 736 comments Will give this a try this year

My Nominations:
Horns by Joe Hill Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3) by Kristin Cashore The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks Room by Emma Donoghue

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Oh thank you ever so much Liezel!
I got Horns for Christmas but was looking for a challenge to read it and here you have given me a challenge. Thanks!

message 17: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Oooh nice I want to read Room!

message 18: by Riana (new)

Riana | 397 comments This was one of my favourite challenges last year, maybe even the top one, so I am most definitly in!

Nominations:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
If I Stay
House Rules
The Hunger Games
Home Front

Wow got myself a tear jerking list here! I cried in every single one of these books!! (please note, it is not hard to get me to cry in a book or a movie, so this might not be the same for you guys!)

message 19: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Oh wow, I'm so excited to read for this challenge now! Some great nominations and a few books I've been meaning to get to.

message 20: by Sharle (last edited Jan 06, 2013 08:27AM) (new)

Sharle (mizzkruger) | 110 comments This challenge is the perfect opportunity to get out of my comfort zone!

My nominations:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green Easy by Tammara Webber Slammed (Slammed, #1) by Colleen Hoover The Help by Kathryn Stockett Cornerstone (The Cornerstone Series, #1) by Misty Provencher

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Sharle wrote: "This challenge is the perfect opportunity to get out of my comfort zone!

My nominations:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky [bookcover:Go..."

You can't nominate books that have already been nominated by someone else. So The Perks of being a wallflower and Gone Girl are out. Please pick 2 others.

message 22: by Sharle (new)

Sharle (mizzkruger) | 110 comments Oh, sorry. That makes this really tough. There are so many books I liked but that I'd not necessarily want to re-read. I'll go with
Cornerstone (The Cornerstone Series, #1) by Misty Provencher and The Help by Kathryn Stockett

message 23: by Barbara (last edited Jan 06, 2013 08:24AM) (new)

Could you change it in your first nomination message too? So we simple folk won't get confused. :D

I had some trouble getting to 5 too. Especially since I didn't want to nominate romance novels and I did read a lot of great ones last year. I wanted to nominate books I thought were great and people would actually enjoy reading and that is harder than it sounds. :)

message 24: by Sharle (new)

Sharle (mizzkruger) | 110 comments Done! :)

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Sharle wrote: "Oh, sorry. That makes this really tough. There are so many books I liked but that I'd not necessarily want to re-read. I'll go with
Cornerstone (The Cornerstone Series, #1) by Misty Provencher and The Help by Kathryn Stockett"

Not sure if this is what you meant, but you don't have to re-read any of your nominations.

message 26: by Emma (last edited Jan 07, 2013 06:15AM) (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments My Nominations

1. A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison
2. Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire
3. The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, #1) by Clay Griffith
4. A Death In Vienna (Gabriel Allon, #4) by Daniel Silva
5. Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) by Katie McGarry

NB: If anyone would like to read the 1st in the Gabriel Allon Series then you can read The Kill Artist instead of A Death in Vienna.

message 27: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Thanks for the awesome choices Sharle and Emma :)

message 28: by Sharle (new)

Sharle (mizzkruger) | 110 comments Lauren, I just meant that I enjoyed a book like TFiOS so much that I ordered a hard copy just so that I'd be able to re-read it many times. Whereas a book like Silver Linings Playbook (just as an example) I enjoyed but wouldn't necessarily choose as one of only 5 books I'd have for company if I was stuck on some Lost-type island.

Btw you guys, I seriously hope I never ever have to make this choice in real life! Only 5 books?!

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Oh, ok, I see what you mean!

message 30: by Varla Fiona (new)

@ Emma: One of your nominations is the fourth in a series. Could we read the first in that serious instead?

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Yes you can. Unless it is a series of stand alone novels.

message 32: by Riana (new)

Riana | 397 comments Sharle wrote: "Oh, sorry. That makes this really tough. There are so many books I liked but that I'd not necessarily want to re-read. I'll go with
Cornerstone (The Cornerstone Series, #1) by Misty Provencher and The Help by Kathryn Stockett"

I am sooo happy you nominated The Help! I have been trying to figure out a challenge to work this into :-D

message 33: by Emma (last edited Jan 06, 2013 10:40AM) (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Varla Fiona wrote: "@ Emma: One of your nominations is the fourth in a series. Could we read the first in that serious instead?"

Hi Varla, Youre more than welcome to read the first in the series. A death in Vienna just happens to be one of my favourites from The Gabriel Allon series, although its not necesary to read them in order, It might be best. If at some point you might like to read the rest of the books then you might be best to read The Kill Artist which is book 1.This is the first book in the Gabriel Allon series, and it's the very book that hooked me up on the rest.

message 34: by Varla Fiona (new)

You mentioned this series in some other context recently and I thought it sounded good, but I prefer to start at the beginning even if they are stand alone stories.

message 35: by Carolien (last edited Jan 06, 2013 10:01PM) (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 2156 comments Mod
The Red Tent A Novel by Anita Diamant The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye Before The Poison by Peter Robinson The Kashmir Shawl by Rosie Thomas The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Note: the Peter Robinson is a stand alone novel so you cannot substitute it with one of his Inspector Banks books.

You'll have to put up with this lot, otherwise it was 5 non-fiction books! They were my favourite fiction ones.