You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > January 2013 - Book Selections

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Sorry I'm so late with this everyone! The last few days have been absolutely crazy.

The two books for January are *drumroll*

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn with more than 50% of the total votes

and

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple, which edged out The Lighthouse by one vote!

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49982 comments I started Gone Girl today.. I mean yesterday. It's 5:00 Sunday morning and I started last night. I wasn't able to sleep so I'm almost 1/3 in. I have a theory!

message 3: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10359 comments Love, Love, Love Gone Girl. Actually I love Gillian Flynn. Look at that innocent face! Her mind is just twisted.

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Are you reading or listening, Janice?

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Haha Almeta! She does look innocent!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Gone Girl is on order at the library. Which isn't open again until Wednesday. When I'm back at work. humph. How's a girl supposed to get through all these books when she's got to go back to work. >:-(

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Ugh, Helen - how rude of work to interrupt your reading plans. They really have NO consideration....

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate Z (kgordon3) | 144 comments Gone Girl terrified me. I agree with the comment that Flynn is twisted. I can't argue with the writing, foreshadowing or characterization. They were so believable that I had a visceral reaction to the characters and events of the novel.

I truly loved Bernadette - the novel read like a Shakespearean romance to me. Really enjoyed.

message 9: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3721 comments I have to agree with all your comments about Gone Girl. Twisted, scary, and impossible to put down.

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49982 comments I'm listening to it. I loved Dark Places so much that I purchased Sharp Objects and Gone Girl on audiobook. I hadn't read them yet.

I love Gillian Flynn and Jo Nesbø. They both write very dark mysteries. No cozy mysteries between them. I'm still reeling from Nesbo's The Leopard and am so tempted to drop everything and read the heck out of the rest of his catalogue.

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Deborah I'm going to try to participate. They're both selections I probably would not have come to on my own, but both are things that I have looked at and that friends have enjoyed. So, I'm looking forward.

Do your discussions usually go all month?

message 12: by Ava Catherine (last edited Dec 31, 2012 03:35AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Discussions continue all month and sometimes carry over a bit into the next month. We just cannot be bound by a number at the end of the month when we have something to say about a book!

We do try to include spoiler alerts at the beginning of the month when many members may not have had the opportunity to finish the book.

I hope you enjoy Gone Girl. I feel certain you will have an interesting perspective to add to the discussion.

I am looking forward to rereading this book because I have forgotten the little details that make it so perfectly chilling. The characterizations are so artfully drawn that you are sucker-punched before you know what hit you!

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49982 comments I should have read this before I read the other thread. You have just answered my question about whether or not the story stayed with you since you read it in the summer.

I suspect that a re-read would be interesting in that you'll pick up on some of the clues you may have not realized were significant when you first read it.

It's like the movie M. Night Shyamalan's The Sixth Sense: A Novelization. When I watched it the second time knowing the ending, I saw things in a different light.

message 14: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jan 02, 2013 07:55PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Janice, that is exactly the way it is! As I am reading, I keep thinking, "Ah,man, don't fall for that!"

or I am thinking, "Why didn't I see that the first time I read it?"

message 15: by Lurk42 (new)

Lurk42 are folks actually discussing gone girl here?

message 16: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10359 comments Lurk42 wrote: "are folks actually discussing gone girl here?"

This is probably a better place for Gone Girl Discussion

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49982 comments Actually, this thread should be closed. Do pop over to the discusson thread for Gone Girl by clicking on Almeta's link.

Welcome Lurk! I see this is your first comment in the group.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.