Paranormal and Horror Lovers discussion

General Book Talk & Questions > vampire fiction for the uninitiated

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by T.P. (new)

T.P. Grish | 102 comments I do not read vampire novels, and the whole trend is passing me by. I like fantasy, whether epic or dark, as well as any book with a serious plot and realistic characters. I don't like too much emphasis on romance. What vampire novel would you recommend, it can be horror, or otherwise?

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynmeyergriffith) | 143 comments Hi T.P,
if you'd like to read two vampire novels that (I've been told by many reviewers that they are so much more) aren't like the usual vampire novels please try one of mine. THE LAST VAMPIRE-Revised Author's Edition (was a 2012 EPIC EBOOK AWARDS FINALIST) or my very newest one HUMAN NO LONGER. You might like one of them. Warmly, author of 17, four of which are vampire tales, novels and a writer for over 40 years, Kathryn Meyer GriffithKathryn Meyer Griffith The Last Vampire by Kathryn Meyer Griffith Vampire Blood Author's New Revised Edition by Kathryn Meyer Griffith

message 3: by T.P. (new)

T.P. Grish | 102 comments Ok I'll take a look at them thanks.

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt Cole (mattdeancole) | 25 comments The first three of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles are great:

Interview With The Vampire
The Vampire Lestat
The Queen of The Damned

message 5: by L.M. (new)

L.M. David | 3 comments Raphael (Vampires in America, #1) by D.B. Reynolds Jabril (Vampires in America, #2) by D.B. Reynolds Rajmund (Vampires in America, #3) by D.B. Reynolds Sophia (Vampires in America, #4) by D.B. Reynolds Duncan (Vampires in America, #5) by D.B. Reynolds Lucas (Vampires In America #6) by D.B. Reynolds This is a good series of books. I am a complete fan of this woman's writing. It's excellent.

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) T.P. wrote: "I do not read vampire novels, and the whole trend is passing me by. I like fantasy, whether epic or dark, as well as any book with a serious plot and realistic characters. I don't like too much emp..."

first choice
Dominion (Dominion, #1) by S.E. Lund Ascension (Dominion, #2) by S.E. Lund Retribution (The Dominion Series, #3) by S.E. Lund

2nd choice - since I already put Vampires in America out there

Samson's Lovely Mortal (Scanguards Vampires, #1) by Tina Folsom Amaury's Hellion (Scanguards Vampires, #2) by Tina Folsom Gabriel's Mate (Scanguards Vampires, #3) by Tina Folsom Zane's Redemption (Scanguards Vampires, #5) by Tina Folsom Yvette's Haven (Scanguards Vampires, #4) by Tina Folsom Quinn's Undying Rose (Scanguards Vampires #6) by Tina Folsom

and for quick reads
Covet (Vampire Erotic Theatre Romance, #1) by Felicity E. Heaton Crave (Vampire Erotic Theatre Romance, #2) by Felicity E. Heaton Seduce (Vampire Erotic Theatre Romance, #3) by Felicity E. Heaton Enslave (Vampire Erotic Theatre Romance Series, #4) by Felicity E. Heaton

message 7: by T.P. (new)

T.P. Grish | 102 comments Thanks. A lot of great suggestions guys. I might try Raphael: Vampires in America, as I liked the premise and the beginning.

I also might try Kissed by Darkness: Book 1 of the Sunwalker Saga, it seems action-oriented, which might be a good start. It wasn't recommended here, but I found it on Amazon.

message 8: by L.M. (new)

L.M. David | 3 comments T.P. wrote: "Thanks. A lot of great suggestions guys. I might try Raphael: Vampires in America, as I liked the premise and the beginning.

I also might try Kissed by Darkness: Book 1 of the Sunwalker Saga, it ..."

Paris suggested Tina Folsom, again she is a good author and her series of books has been great so far. Try her as well.

message 9: by Tony-Paul (new)

Tony-Paul Vissage (TPdeV) TP...Got in on your comment late but I'd like to recommend my novels. If you like a bit of light-hearted vampirism, there's Vampires are Forever and The Best Dentist in Orange County. The ones that are a little deeper and darker are The Night Man Cometh which was a runner-up in last years Preditors and Editors Readers Poll in Horror, The Last Vampire Standing (placed second in this years Paranoral Romance Guild's Best of 2012), and Blood will Freeze. They range from Novelette to Novela too Full-sized novel so can match any attention-span. Happy Reading!

message 10: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 23 comments I recommend checking out a few anthologies to get a feel for some of the authors. Check out Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9) by P.N. Elrod , Naked City Tales of Urban Fantasy (Riverside Series; The Dresden Files, #10.9) by Ellen Datlow , and Dark and Stormy Knights by Ilona Andrews . Not all the stories in each anthology contains vampires but many do and I'm finding them a great way to find new authors to read.

I've enjoyed Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire, #1) by J.R. Rain and other books by J.R. Rain.

message 11: by T.P. (new)

T.P. Grish | 102 comments Thanks a lot for all of the quality suggestions everyone :) Please understand if I can't read all of them, as I am just looking for a couple of vampire type novels to read so I can see what they're like. Anthologies might be a good option to sample what's out there.

I'm currently reading a fantasy book (David Dalglish's Half Orc Series), Steve Jobs' biography, Moby Dick, and a Noir story 'This Doesn't Happen in the Movies' (for research about a new series I am writing). I will start reading a vampire novel alongside these ones. Most of the time, all the books on my reading list would be fantasy, but I'm trying to branch out.

message 12: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 23 comments This is a great thread. You can always go back to some of the originals Dracula or the penny dreadful Varney The Vampire; Or, The Feast Of Blood (a hoot to read)

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (khardman) | 2 comments I liked the Void City novels (starting with "Staked") by J.F. Lewis.
Staked (Void City, #1) by J.F. Lewis

I think the author's created a nice vampire world and hierarchy. FYI: in my opinion, there wasn't a heavy dose of romance but there is a lot of sex.

I also enjoyed Robert Weinberg's "Masquerade of the Red Death" series (the first book is "Blood War").
Blood War by Robert Weinberg

message 14: by T.P. (new)

T.P. Grish | 102 comments Ok I purchased the kindle version of Raphael (Vampires in America)and Kissed by Darkness (Book One of the Sunwalker Saga)a while ago, and am slowly reading through them.

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason Farris (goodreadscomjason_farris) | 1 comments I do not read vampire novels, and the whole trend is passing me by. I like fantasy, whether epic or dark, as well as any book with a serious plot and realistic characters. I don't like too much emphasis on romance. What vampire novel would you recommend, it can be horror, or otherwise?

TP,

If you would like to read a vampire novel that is different than most--psychological, dark but with a redeeming value--then I invite you to experience my novel, Bring Forth The Night , available on Kindle and bookstores nationwide.

Here's a link to the blurb:

http://www.amazon.com/Bring-Forth-Nig...

message 16: by Victoria (last edited Aug 16, 2013 09:08AM) (new)

Victoria (veleste) | 1 comments T.P. wrote: "I do not read vampire novels, and the whole trend is passing me by. I like fantasy, whether epic or dark, as well as any book with a serious plot and realistic characters. I don't like too much emp..."

Dracula would be the definitive vampire novel and is still quite good after all this time. I listened to the audio book with Simon Vance narrating and Tim Curry as Van Helsing and it was brilliant.

If you want something a bit different, or a modern/post-apocalyptic take on vampires you can't go far wrong with I Am Legend, one of the best vampire novels I've read. (It's very different to the movie, put that out of your mind completely.)

If you're looking for something a bit more playful, I really enjoyed Anno Dracula which is a steampunk take on vampires that really explores the different kinds.

message 17: by S.R. (new)

S.R. Hughes (thesrhughes) | 9 comments I wanted to provide some input -- Anne Rice is a classic favorite, of course, but there are a wide variety of others out there (some good ones already mentioned!). I am surprised no one has brought up the Joe Pitt Case Files by Charlie Huston.

Already Dead is the first book.

http://www.amazon.com/Already-Dead-Jo...

It's a bit outside of the usual fantasy realm, more of a pulp book or a noir novel, but Huston is killer with character and dialogue and the pacing is perfect. A very different take on vampirism, a little on the gritty side, very dark.