Manga Book Club discussion

Events! > Books of the Month: 2013

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (last edited Apr 13, 2014 07:11PM) (new)

Starbubbles | 871 comments Mod
Here's a recap of what we have read during 2013!

January: Rosario+Vampire vol 1-5
February: Boys Over Flowers vol 1-5
March: Yotsuba! vol 1-5
April: Rurouni Kenshin vol 1-5
May: Black Cat vol 1-5
June: Honey & Clover vol 1-5
July: Puella Magi Madoka Magica vol 1-3
August: Claymore vol 1-5
September: Cowboy Bebop vol 1-4
October: Record of a Fallen Vampire vol 1-5
November: Fullmoon wo Sagashite vol 1-4

message 2: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Updated!! We are reading some classics this year!

message 3: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 173 comments Try a classic like this http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15....
I find it interesting to see people converting classic tales to manga format. :)

message 4: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Wow! That is interesting! It is always interesting seeing books being converted into mangas.

message 5: by Jeridel (new)

Jeridel Banks | 1 comments Rurouni Kenshin is awesome!

Suggestion: How about an Osamu Tezuka manga? Black Jack is a good one!

message 6: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

I had forgotten about Honey & Clover. It was one I just couldn't get into. But, I am excited about hearing what others think about it.

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber | 2 comments Not sure if this is where we post suggestions, but I think we should read "Skip Beat". I've read a few of the books and they are VERY good. ;)

message 8: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Wow! The year is almost done!

message 9: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 173 comments I second Black Jack. Is there anything that madman can't fix? :)

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 19 comments Record of a Fallen Vampire is one I'll have to get my teeth into at some point.

message 11: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 173 comments Sandra wrote: "Record of a Fallen Vampire is one I'll have to get my teeth into at some point."

Hah! Good one. :)

message 12: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 173 comments I read the Sacred Blacksmith 1-3 in December. It is an interesting fantasy story set in a world where if you know how to you can sacrifice a portion of yourself to a spirit and make a contract to summon them to the world. The characters can be a bit goofy and fan service seems to be the norm but so far I have been enjoying the story. :)

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 19 comments Thanks Ian!
I've watched and reviewed the anime version of Sacred Blacksmith. I know what you mean about the fan service and like the story all the same. :)

message 14: by Doc (new)

Doc (docpersona) | 173 comments No problem.:)I am going to try to add other books I read over the last few years to the Manga Club shelves now that I figured out how more or less when I have free time.

Star...Can I take out all of the book in the book of the month shelf that are not the first volumes? It would be easier to identify a series was a book of the month already and no one will have to add the Book of the month shelf to books added to shelves later(like Black Butler.)

message 15: by Mike, Librarian (new)

Mike | 52 comments Mod
Hi Ian,

As our new librarian I'll be managing the shelves and handling these kinds of questions for Starbubbles.

I agree that making the Books-of-the-Months shelf first volumes only will make things a lot easier to track, so I've made that change and removed other volumes from that shelf.

Thanks for sharing things you've read and adding them to the shelves.

To make it easier to keep track of suggestions for the shelves I'm going to make a thread in the Questions folder. Please share any ideas/requests there. Thanks!

message 16: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

2013 list complete!