! YA Heroines ! discussion

Debates > The Books or The Movies???

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (last edited Dec 29, 2012 10:35PM) (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments BAD : The series of Unfortunate Events Books The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) by Lemony Snicket (MY fav middle grade lit books) were slaugtered by the movie which made the plot horrible. Basically stuffed the first 3 bks of the series in a blender and called it an adaption of the books!

GOOD : The Harry Potter Series Adaption. Wow, they inhanced the books and stuck to the original plots. (Stick with the plot producers!!!)

Generally they do really good jobs. The Hunger Games, Harry Potter Series were adapted really well. Movies are good... But I still rather read the books!

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 57 comments Bad: I am Number Four, The Lightening Thief, Twilight

Good: Harry Potter, Hunger Games, The Lord of the Rings and the Perks of Being a Wallflower

I am very excited for this years upcoming film installments: 13 Reasons Why, and Catching Fire!

message 3: by Nancy (last edited Jan 10, 2013 08:42PM) (new)

Nancy (pandabears) Jenny wrote: "I think sometimes I like both for example Harry Potter was a great movie and book.
I tried reading the Lord of the Rings but it didn't really work out, however the movie was epic as.
The Hunger Ga..."

I agree with you esp. about the twilight part! Apart from the lord of the rings, to be honest I haven't actually watched it but I have seen the trailers and it seems pretty cool. But I can't wait for Catching Fire~~ *SIGHS*

message 4: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments I can't wait either, to see the arena would be A-maz-ing!

message 5: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments I saw her on Ellen too! I was in a coffee shop.

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (pandabears) omgee :OO i must watch it and lol :P

message 7: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Well I still like the books better.

message 8: by Haley (new)

Haley As far as the Twilight movies go, most were ok, but I absolutely hated with a passion breaking dawn part 1. When Katelin and I went to see it, we were laughing so much at how dumb it was, that katelin got told off by this girl sitting next to her. Of course that just made it funnier. Lol

message 9: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments LOL, wow I heard that some people really didn't like it!

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Here's what I don't like about movies that are based from books: they just don't carry the same essence of the story. Books allow us to be closer to the characters and hear their thoughts, and we can't do that when watching a movie. Plus, sometimes the movie strays so far away from the book's story and plot line. I know movies are their own thing, and I appreciate how they can sometimes be really great, but I still have a hard time separating the book from the movie.

I just saw Beautiful Creatures, and just for the record, I like the book better.

message 11: by Sally (last edited Feb 18, 2013 04:51PM) (new)

Sally | 9 comments Great
Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
Dune
Shogun
The Godfather

Yikes
Percy Jackson
Eragon
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 2466 comments I didn't like Abraham Lincoln the Vampire Hunter at all I couldn't even finish watching it

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Did anyone see Beautiful Creatures?

message 14: by Simmaron (new)

Simmaron (mybookedlife) | 1119 comments I like books more because every scene every emotion is based on my imagination plus the writing skill of the author but in movies everything changes. It is truly based on someone else's imagination plus they do change something from the original book.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) @Athena, I saw it today.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

did you like it?

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I liked it, but at the same time I couldn't separate the book from the movie (like I couldn't help comparing them). There were just so many changes that bothered me, especially since I'm a huge stickler for details.

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) The actors were great. I liked movie Ethan better than book Ethan, and actress playing Sarafine was so awesome.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought it was good :)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Jenny you're in New Zealand right?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

So do you get it on the 21st? Or have you already got it? Cos in Australia we get it then but I saw an advanced screening and yeah I was just wondering... Time is weird

message 22: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments LOL, not until the 21st. :( (I'm from New Zealand too.)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

For Twilight...I liked the books better. I think. I might waffle on that one because sometimes you just need a good angsty glitter to help you get through your day.

I definitely liked the Lord of the Rings movies better. Back when the movies first came out, I decided to read the books. I made it through the first book of the first book (you know how Fellowship of the Ring was actually split into 3 books) and realized that I hated Tolkien's writing style.

Here's one I haven't seen discussed yet: Warm Bodies, the Romeo-and-Juliet-inspired zombie love story. I read the book last month, and watched the movie this weekend. I loved them both, but the movie was so much better. It took all the things I didn't like about the book and either discarded them or changed them. This was a phenomenal movie. I took my two step-daughters to see it and the almost-12-year-old declared it to be her "second favorite movie of all time."

message 24: by Chelsea (last edited Feb 21, 2013 11:13PM) (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Charity wrote: "For Twilight...I liked the books better. I think. I might waffle on that one because sometimes you just need a good angsty glitter to help you get through your day.

I definitely liked the Lord of ..."

Wow zombies and shakespeare. Must have been great!

message 25: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) In almost every case, I have liked the book version better than the movie, but I just remembered one exception.

A couple years ago, I was searching through Barnes & Noble online for books to buy and I came across a book about werewolves that was turned into a movie. So, I decided to watch the movie (which I liked), and ordered the book. I don't know if it's because I watched the movie first or whatever, but I actually liked the film version better than the actual story. The movie was a lot more interesting and I liked its plot line more.

By the way, the first thing that got me interested in the movie/book was the title: Blood and Chocolate.
Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 26, 2013 10:41PM) (new)

I didn't like Blood and Chocolate on first viewing, but that may have had something to do with Olivier Martinez (blecch). I'd like to read the book.

Chelsea- Warm Bodies is just the same basic story as R&J. Star-crossed lovers and such. The movie even included the balcony scene. I was grinning through the whole thing!

message 27: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments LOL sounds awesome!

message 28: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments When you are a bookworm movies usually won't do the book justice. It is a universal law of books!