North Liberty Readers discussion

Challenges > ~~~Pam's 2013 TBR Book Challenge~~~ (right MEOW!)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Pamela (last edited Oct 28, 2013 07:47PM) (new)

Pamela | 235 comments Mod
OK....here goes...so far...and pretty much where it is and what it's going to be...thus far...until further notice...I think...(I do?)...I DO!

1.) Once Were Warriors by Alan Duff
2.) Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
3.) My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier
4.) Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian
5.) Winter of the World by Ken Follett
6.) Phantom Prey by John Sandford
7.) The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham
8.) Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
9.) The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
10.) The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
11.) Finn by Jon Clinch
12.) War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

+ 2 Alternates:

13.) Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
14.) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

And so it is....and that is all right MEOW.

message 2: by Pamela (new)

OMG girls....they changed the rules on Book Addicts! You don't have to have books more than a year old! SO...I put on Winter of the World and Gone Girl.....

message 3: by Sammi (new)

Sammi Elliott | 34 comments Mod
Love your list! I will probably read several of them with you! Lol it's hard to limit it to 14!

message 4: by Pamela (new)

I know! I'm already considering putting on The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton and maybe Sophie's Choice.....omg.....things to think about. AND...so much to tell you. I'll be calling you tonight for sure....

message 5: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Jen (nekokitty) | 913 comments Mod
Oh Pam, I LOVE your choices! I've just posted mine to Book Addicts, and I'l going to post here in one second.

message 6: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I need to start working on my list! I'm running out of time!

message 7: by Pamela (new)

Sonja...you guys....are you done with your lists???

message 8: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Sonja, did you ever make a 2013 list? No pressure either way... :)

message 9: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I haven't yet... :( I'm still debating. I haven't had much time to read lately and so far haven't managed to finish either of the 12+2 challenges I've started... I probably will end up with a list. You all have books in your lists that I want to read!

message 10: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Haha! :) Sonja, just make the list a fun list... That's what Pam and I did. :) Anyway, you start the year out slower than me, but then you pull way ahead after April 15!

message 11: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Pam, do you think you'll get around to reading Cryptonomicon this year? If so, I'll for sure wait to do it until we can both read it. :) (My plans can change to accommodate you with no problem... but right now I'm reading the third Game of Thrones and then hitting Anna... but no other plans.)

message 12: by Pamela (new)

I totally plan to read Cryptonomicon for sure....Both Sammi and I have read the 3rd Game of Thrones....GASP! SO....I'm reading Finn right now to finish off my Twain rant. By the time you are done with Game of Thrones, I'll start War and Peace if you are going to start Anna. I can't wait for the books we have this year! SOOOO excited!

message 13: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Hey Pam, sounds great! I'm really liking GoT 3. I wish I had more time to read. Grr! After that, I'll start Anna. Question, do you think I should read the B&N classics edition or the edition with the same translators as your W&P? I already have the B&N version, but I keep hearing good things about the newer translation...

message 14: by Pamela (new)

You know...I've thought of that too. I've researched and it seems like the V & P translation which is the newer one is getting rave reviews. It's the translators that were in the Oprah book version when she read Anna Karenina and that's the one I read when I was prego with the twins...sooo...I'm leaning towards that one for that reason only. I'd like to buy that book...since I have the Anna Karenina V & P translated version of theirs. I'd say...depends on whether you want to buy another version or not honestly. Maybe the B&N version is good....after all...it is B&N!!! OR>...How about this? Why don't I give you my Anna Karenina version of V & P so you don't have to think about it? I know we'll be meeting up for the train in Boone for sure...shall we wait till May for our Tolstoy read? Then maybe Sammi and Sonja can all be at the same spot for all of us to start it? Sonja will be super swamped during tax season, and Sammi will be done teaching in May....

message 15: by Pamela (new)

AND....while you are on Game of Thrones...I'll be done with Finn here soon (I hope) and then, I thought if you were still on GOT...I'd start Winter of the World? I've not read that yet...and you and Sonja have...Sammi is thinking about it...then we'll be caught up on that series....I can't wait...the reviews are awesome!

message 16: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Hey Pam, that sounds GREAT!!!!!! I will (of course) return your copy to you! :) By the way, I'm LOVING the 3rd GoT!

message 17: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Oh, yes, read Winter of the World! SO FREAKING AWESOME! :) We can regroup after Game of Thrones and Winter of the World and figure out what we do at that time. :)

message 18: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Oh, and we HAVE to read Gone Girl together too, mmkay?

message 19: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I haven't read Winter of the World yet, but I'm looking forward to it! I was thinking about reading it next.

message 20: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

You should, it freaking ROCKS!!!!!! And then read On Wings of Eagles. Yep, that's a good book.

message 21: by Pamela (new)

OK Sonja....I'm up for WOTW next with you....and then we'll see where everyone is to maybe do Gone Girl? I'm also dying to read that one...(cackley, insane laugh inserted right there). We'll do our BIG books for Tolstoy once I get Anna to Jenni...then it's War and Peace/Anna Karenina GAME ON! BTW...did you guys get to see the movie of Anna Karenina? It NEVER came here!!! I'm going to fly to the Red Box when it comes................

message 22: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
We did get to see it. There were some odd choices made in the directing (I thought...), but I liked it! It's a book I've been wanting to read for a while!

message 23: by Pamela (new)

You'll love it....of course now you know the ending is heart-breaking! But I so loved the book....I can't wait to see the movie! I just checked and it doesn't come out in the Red Box until March 19th....BOO HISS!

message 24: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Oh Pam, we still don't know exactly how it happens in the book... it could be different! :) Let me know what you and Sonja think about WOTW.. I'd love to be in on that discussion.

message 25: by Pamela (new)

OOOO....you're right! The ending MIGHT be different! I can't wait till it comes out in video. Every week I check the listing for the local theater and of course...no Anna. I think we are way out from getting it too. Oh well. Let me know how close you are to finishing GOT and what your plans are for after. I've got 100 pages to go on Finn...and then I've been staring at Cloud Atlas, Cryptonomicon and Winter of the World...hmmmmm.....what say you? Gone Girl....Holy cow....so much I want to shove in my head at one time!

message 26: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I started Winter of the World last night... 58 pages in and I'm liking it as much (maybe more) as Fall of Giants! Maybe it's because I'm much more familiar with the history of WWII than WWI...

message 27: by Pamela (new)

OK...I'm decided then....Winter of the World it is...now to get back to Finn...Can't wait to join you Sonja! And I agree about the history part. We really are more aware of WWII than WWI for sure. I can't wait to get into it!

message 28: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

:) I LOVED Winter of the World! :)

Once ya'll are done with that, I'd be up for Crypto or Gone Girl or something else with ya! :)

message 29: by Pamela (new)

OK Sonja....Starting Winter of the World today. I've got it on my Nook...just waiting for an hour tonight to get started! YAY!!!

message 30: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Ohhhh you're in for such a treat!!!!!!

message 31: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I'm really liking it! I'm reading it on my Nook too, though I also bought the hard copy... The Nook doesn't weigh as much!

message 32: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I'm sure you'll catch up with me in no time!

message 33: by Pamela (new)

After perusing the beginning of the book with the lists of characters and especially the maps, I'm thinking a copy of those pages at my elbow would be nice. Jenni do you think that would be handy? Maybe you and Sonja could scan them and email them to me if you have a moment? I know that someday I want the hard copy of these books. ALL of Follet's books actually....just to have on hand....LOVE LOVE LOVE HIM!!!

message 34: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

I listened to the audio book, but I did go online and printed a character list out that I found... I found myself referring to it for the first few cd's... and then I had everything down. Let me see what I can find! :) (That being said, if Sonja can make a copy of the maps in the book, I'd love to have one!)

message 35: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I'll see what I can do!

message 36: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Pam! Check this out:

Map of Winter of the World

I will look for the character list tonight.

message 37: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Here's the character list that I used... it's from Ken Follett's web site:

Winter of the World character list

message 38: by Pamela (new)

HA! I just printed them off and they are going to be hung on my wall in the bedroom. YAY!!! Thanks Jenni! I've just read the first few pages and already I'm hooked! SOOOO excited to be reading this one!

message 39: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

No problemo at all! :) I wish I had thought about the map when I was listening to it, but oh well. :) Who knows, maybe I'll read them again someday! :)

message 40: by Pamela (new)

OK....I'm addicted to this book. I resent the time I can't read because I'm cleaning my house or the kids are driving me crazy...LOL!!! I'm already in the second part....a little further than page 250 I think....it is SOOOOOO GOOOOOOD! LOVE LOVE LOVE Ken Follet! How are you doing Sonja?

message 41: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I think we're about in the same spot! You caught up with me! I wish I had more time to read. Stupid job...

message 42: by Pamela (new)

OK.....EIGHT books done and it's not even JUNE!!! YAY!!! I think I'm liking my new system of choosing books...but...since the baby is getting older I have more reading time essentially. I might actually reach my goal of reading 25 books this year!

Just got done with GONE GIRL. O-M-G. 'nuff said. All a y'all need to read that one. HO-LY SHIT!

message 43: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

I read Gone Girl! That's one crazy book!

message 44: by Pamela (new)

I bet they make it into a movie.....the ending was infuriating!

message 45: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

I think I've heard that it will be a movie! Oh, the ending made me so mad. I wanted to slap them both! Guess what?! I've read 4 books from my challenge list. Woot! Not as awesome as you, but I'm about on track.

message 46: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I've heard good things about Gone Girl. I need to read it!

You're almost done with your list! That's awesome! I just finished #5, but since it's only the beginning of May, I think I may make it this year!

I just finished Winter Garden and I loved it! I kind of suspected the ending, but it turned out I was not quite right... I cried a couple of times, laughed out loud once or twice. Quite the roller coaster! I wasn't sure about it for the first few CDs, but when the mom starts telling her story, it really takes off! I don't know how it would be to read it, but the soft Russian accent that the narrator on the audio version uses when the mom is telling her story made it seem like I was really listening to a Russian lady telling me about her life. In a way, it made it seem more real...

message 47: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Sonja, you need to read Gone Girl. I have to say that it's a great one to listen to, and probably the only reason that I made it through. The characters are so incredibly insane! I kept listening just because I wanted to know how the story would end. I literally can't tell you any details because this is a book that you need to discover for yourself. Read it!

message 48: by Pamela (new)

OH my goodness Sonja...Gone Girl is a must. Sammi is almost ready to read it too....she is blasting her way through the Diana Gabaldon's Outlanders....(chuckle)! I told her once she started she'd not be able to stop! Shame on me!

Let me know if you guys are going to tackle Anna Karenina. I'll then start War and Peace. I'm looking forward to that one (believe it or not). I've been picking up A Suitable Boy recently too...a chapter here and there....

message 49: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

I'm up for Anna anytime!

message 50: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 881 comments Mod
I've started Anna Karenina, but I don't ever read much at a time in it. I'm having a hard time focusing on a book for more than 20-30 minutes at a time lately... I either nod off or get distracted by other things I need to do! It probably won't take Jenni very long at all to catch up to where I am!

« previous 1