Theo's Group discussion

Books to read > Next book....Classic

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (last edited Dec 29, 2012 09:01PM) (new)

Tiffany | 86 comments Mod
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Pudd'nhead Wilson
Sister Carrie
The Great Gatsby
The Wind in the Willows
Mary Poppins
The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales
Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer
The Invisible Man
The Phantom of the Opera
Journey to the Center of the Earth
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The House of the Seven Gables
The Island of Dr. Moreau
Main Street
The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer
Robinson Crusoe
Peter Pan
A Tale of Two Cities
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Hard Times
Uncle Tom's Cabin
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Call of the Wild, White Fang & To Build a Fire
Around the World in Eighty Days
Kidnapped
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Dracula
The Swiss Family Robinson
The Last of the Mohicans
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
The Three Musketeers
A Christmas Carol
Ann Veronica
From the Earth to the Moon
Jude the Obscure
Candide
The Scarlet Letter
Treasure Island
An American Tragedy
The History of Mr Polly
Moby Dick
From Here to Eternity
Ivanhoe
Amerika: The Missing Person
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Dead Souls
The Plague
The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare
Robinson Crusoe
An American Tragedy

Anyone have any preferences?

message 2: by Tiffany (new)

This is just a list that Jett has, if there are other classics you'd like to add to the list, just post. I don't have a preference to which one we read next. I've always wanted to read the classics that I apparently should have read in high school.

message 3: by Tiffany (new)

I haven't read that and someone else on the amazon thread recommended it too. I will also go for anything :D

message 4: by Denise (new)

Denise | 74 comments I haven't read it and am game for it. One of my book reading goals is to read 50 more classics in the next five years, so this would fit nicely into that goal. But I'm game for any of the other titles as well. A lot of them appeal to me, whether I've read them before or not.

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane (youknowwho-thedoctor) | 28 comments I'm in for the Scarlet Pimpernel

message 6: by Tiffany (new)

Looks like Scarlet Pimpernel it is. I will start reading it after I am done with Hounds of Baskerville, should be done in a day or two.

message 7: by Denise (new)

Denise | 74 comments Are we going to try and read it "together" or each one simply racing through? How do we want to do this?

message 8: by Monica (new)

Monica | 12 comments I'm in! Shhh, don't tell my students, but I've not heard of this one.Off to hunt and acquire...this is NOT the same as hoarding!

message 9: by Lenora (new)

Lenora | 39 comments Im not overly fond of the "classics," but I'll give it a whirl.

message 10: by Denise (new)

Denise | 74 comments I haven't looked at the structure yet, but would be happy to prepare a schedule If we're wanting to read more or less together so we can discuss it as we go. It's fun that way, but I won't be hyper or controlling if everyone wants to read at their own pace. At any rate, I won't start it before Jan 1 so there's time to reach a consensus.

message 11: by Denise (new)

Denise | 74 comments And you know what? If this works and we want to do it again, I'm happy to read any other genre as well (except things involving the occult, vampires, zombies, etc)

message 12: by Tiffany (new)

Book a month works for me. Setup a calendar if you would, Denise. I have never read one on a calendar, or as a group for that matter O.o so I am curious to see how the calendar works.

I will read anything.....I have been desperate enough to read shampoo bottles (not since I got a kindle though :D). I can't read anything that is gross.....and right now that includes zombie books. I tried, they make me heave. Maybe after the baby is born.

message 13: by Denise (new)

Denise | 74 comments I love the idea of a book a month, though I'm pretty sure not everyone would keep up. Still, whatever the book was, we could evangelize for it, say, during the week leading up to the start. I'll open up The Scarlet Pimpernel and see about a schedule. But if it's for the month, that gives me an idea how to set the pace. I'll break it into natural chunks, though. And I recommend we start a new thread when we get reading.

message 14: by Denise (new)

Denise | 74 comments Wow, how is this for auspicious? There are 31 chapters in Pimpernel. This is the easiest schedule I've ever had to set up, lol. And it will be a great way for anyone who's not sure about classics to give it a whirl. One chapter a day for the month of January and this short book (322 pgs) will be done. That makes it easy to fit in with whatever other reading a person might be doing.

Day 1? Chapter one. Day 14? Chapter 14. I think you get the picture. ;)

message 15: by Tiffany (new)

I'm still a little confused on the schedule. What chapter would I be reading on January 23?

message 16: by Angel's Mum (new)

Angel's Mum So we start with chapter one Jan 1st...right?

message 17: by Tiffany (new)

Yes. :D

message 18: by Monica (new)

Monica | 12 comments I like the idea of reading a classic together (although I drug my feet on our first one and as I noted, my lose to have not been in the dicussions. I'm up for any of them. Looking forward to see what particular suggestions come out.