Mount TBR 2013 Reading Challenge discussion

Level 1: Pike's Peak (12 Books) > Shauna's Conquest of Pike's Peak

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shauna (last edited Dec 25, 2013 10:26AM) (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments I will add the books as I ascend. Stay tuned!

1. Omega Theory by Mark Alpert ***
2. Soul Surfer by Bethany Hamilton ***
3. Erratum by Walter Sorrells ***
4. This Must Be the Place by Anna Winger **
5. The Pelican Brief by John Grisham ****
6. Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell *****
7. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi ****
8. The Elusive Mr. Perfect by Tamela Hancock Murray**
9. The Client by John Grisham ****
10. Postmortem by Patricia Cornwell***
11. Mourning and Dancing by Sally Downham Miller ***
12. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien ****
13. The View from the Bridge by Nicolas Meyer***
14. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'engle ****
15. My Three Sons by John Sonego ****
16. The Shakespeare Stealer by Gary Blackwood ****
17. Believe Me by Nina Killham****
18. The Associate by John Grisham ***
19. The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy ****
20. The Confession by John Grisham ****
21. The Appeal by John Grisham ****
22. Private by James Patterson ***
23. Mutiny by John Boyne ****
24. Hooked by G. Bruce Knect *****

message 2: by Shauna (last edited Feb 10, 2013 09:04PM) (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments One-third up the first mountain, I have yet to shake my slump of just-ok books. I hope to gain some momemtum with my next read.

message 3: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments I finished stop number 5 on my trek today. John Grisham can almost always pull me out of any reading slump I am in, and The Pelican Brief was a very quick read. I will be taking a break from the hike for a while to do some rereads in one of my favorite series: Left Behind. I have the prequels set to read at the end, and I own the first prequel, so I can add that to my list when I am done. I may sneak some other TBR reads in between books, but I am ahead of schedule, so we'll see.

message 4: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments I've been in a bit of a reading slump lately, but finished step 7 on my climb. Persepolis is definitely worth a read for anyone remotely interested in Central Asia, the Middle East or a human story of resilience amidst tragedy.

message 5: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments One-quarter of the way through the year, and I am three-quarters up the first mountain. I expect a busy time at work over the next week or so; therefore I won't have much time to read.

message 6: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments I finally finished my climb up Pike's Peak! There are still more than enough volumes on my shelves for another level, so I am going to upgrade to level two. I will continue to post in the first comment here, as there is more than enough room. Stay tuned!

message 7: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments My laptop has been out of commission for more than ten days. I log on when I can.

message 8: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments I have a new computer now, so I can be online more often, but I don't have much time to read just now. I just passed stop number 14 on my climb. I may reach 15 by the end of the month. We'll see.

message 9: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Jul 05, 2013 09:07AM) (new)

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) I heard of "A Wrinkle In Time" slightly over the years, didn't know if it was childrens' or adult. I found it at my dear thrift store and have it to look forward to. If you say sequels go with it, I'm forced into another quest to fill series in! Happens every time a bargain has accompaniments. I also found a classic I heard about, just whisps: "Wind In The Willows". It looks lovely.

message 10: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments Hey, what do you know? I'm one-third of the way to the top of my second mountain. I expect to be camping here for a little while though because I've got some great library books that I want to read. I also want to continue the Shakespeare Stealer trilogy, as I finally found the last two books at my local library. Happy reading to all!

message 11: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments C. wrote: "I heard of "A Wrinkle In Time" slightly over the years, didn't know if it was childrens' or adult. I found it at my dear thrift store and have it to look forward to. If you say sequels go with it..."

I know the pain of finding a bargain book only to discover sequels that go with it. I am going through that with a juvenile fiction series called The Shakespeare Stealer right now.

I hope you are enjoying A Wrinkle in Time. The book is juvenile fiction and stands out for its science fiction themes and female protagonist. (The presence of a female protagonist in a science fiction story was unheard of in 1962.) Stop by again and let me know what you think. I am still looking for A Wind in the Door at my local library; it seems to be always checked out. There are just too many other good books calling to me right now to let that little inconvenience get to me though. Best wishes on your reading!

message 12: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments Well, I have really been away from my reading obsession for a while, thanks in part to a new job. I finally finished Tom Clancy's The Hunt for Red October, and even though I had to start it three times to finish it, I enjoyed it very much. Some parts are slow, but overall a very good read/listen. I listened to the unabridged audiobook narrated by J. Charles. I would recommend the recording as a good winter diversion.

message 13: by Shauna (last edited Nov 28, 2013 11:51PM) (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments Even though work is very busy with final exams coming up (to say nothing of the holidays) I have a little reading momentum right now. I managed to complete John Grisham's The Confession today. Only four more books remain to be completed to finish level 2.

message 14: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments I just finished The Appeal by John Grisham. I no longer have any more of his books in my collection that remain to be read. I have been crazy busy at work and have not taken as much time to read as I had hoped. Still, I am optimistic about finishing level 2 by the end of December.

message 15: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments Only two more books to the summit of level 2!

message 16: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments I recently finished Mutiny by John Boyne. This is a very good piece of historical fiction.

I only have one more book left to read before reaching the end of level 2.

message 17: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments Today I finished the 24th book from my list of personally owned TBR books. I have completed level 2. I am going to camp here and explore a couple of other books that I have been wanting to read that won't count toward this challenge.

Lord willing, I will participate in the climb again next year, and I plan to tackle 36 books.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan | 108 comments Congrats!!

message 19: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments Christine wrote: "Great work Shauna .... congratulations!"

Thank you!

message 20: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Mckelly (mathyoda) | 25 comments Christine wrote: "Great work Shauna .... congratulations!"

Thanks!