Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

THE LIBRARY > Book Shows & Librarians' advice :-)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krista (new)

Krista Breen (kristamichellebreen) | 46 comments I'm considering taking out exhibit space at a number of library shows in the United States this year.

Do Librarians and Teacher Librarians actually place orders or make recommendations based on the books they discover at library shows?

It's a fairly costly proposition. Just looking for some advice on how to best proceed.

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brlemon) | 27 comments I can only speak for myself. I do look at the vendors and I make note of which ones that I will most likely take a look at ordering from when I make my purchases the next year. I also like to take a look at the new books/technology that are coming out. So I think vendors are very necessary and much appreciated.

That being said, I often will not purchase any items or materials that day. Again, I am only speaking for myself and not for librarians in general. The reason I do not purchase any items that day is because in my school district, all purchases must be approved with a P.O. and accepted by my administrators before hand. And since I really don't have an idea of what I will see, I can't easily make a P.O. If I do purchase anything, it would be for myself and not for the library.

I do know of other librarians who come prepared with a P.O. with a specific dollar amount because their districts are different. But again, they can only spend a certain amount of money.

So......yes, I do take notice of the vendors and what they have and I do purchase items from them (albeit at a later time) if I see something that I really like.

message 3: by Krista (new)

Krista Breen (kristamichellebreen) | 46 comments Thanks Brenda, that was a most helpful reply.

message 4: by Melissa (last edited Jan 17, 2014 01:10PM) (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 73 comments Krista wrote: "I'm considering taking out exhibit space at a number of library shows in the United States this year.

Do Librarians and Teacher Librarians actually place orders or make recommendations based on t..."

Maybe you could arrange to share an exhibit space with several other authors? It's less expensive that way, and you could take turns manning the space.
Also, it might be helpful to get a booth at Book Expo America, because they're frequented by independent bookstore owners, their employees, and librarians- several of my friends from the local public library attended the 2013 one. In my library, at least, librarians and the public in general can make suggestions on what the library should buy, so it's helpful for them to attend this.