~2014 Reading Challenge~ discussion

2013 Challenge Tracking > Darla's 2013 Tracker

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dar B (last edited Jan 13, 2013 06:03PM) (new)

Dar B (ruminatingbulls) | 121 comments Originally, I had set my goal to 28 last year but I am up to 39 boks, now! However, my reading has drastically reduced since I started working in October. I am going to play it safe and set it to 30 for 2013.

message 2: by Dar B (last edited May 19, 2013 01:06PM) (new)

message 3: by Dar B (last edited Jan 20, 2013 07:26PM) (new)

Dar B (ruminatingbulls) | 121 comments JANUARY

1. The Murder Room The Murder Room (Adam Dalgliesh, #12) by P.D. James

Very good mystery with EXCELLENT writing. Those who like Dickens style writing with Christie's flair for mystery will love this. I gave it 4 stars. 4.2/ 5.0

2. Oryx and Crake Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Weird! Good. Haunting. Rather scary. Plausible. Margaret Atwood is an excellent writer! This story was told through the eyes of a man and I would never guess that a woman could do that as well as she. It was intriguing and told alternatively in present and past. Dystopian stories do not interest me and sci-fi is low on my likes but, this book was very good, so good that I plan to try the sequel. I gave it 4 stars. 4.3/ 5.0

3. Death of Kings Death of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #6) by Bernard Cornwell

This latest Saxon installment was good but a bit lackluster. Like Sword Song, there was less fighting but the previous book had plenty of religious banter and musings where this one did not. I also noticed a couple of phrases that seemed to be too modern. I was a bit disappointed with this novel but not overly so as it has a great ending and Mr. Cornwell's writing is excellent, overall. A solid 4 stars!

message 4: by Dar B (new)

Dar B (ruminatingbulls) | 121 comments 4. What to Say to a Porcupine: 20 Humorous Tales That Get to the Heart of Great Customer Service What to Say to a Porcupine 20 Humorous Tales That Get to the Heart of Great Customer Service by Richard Gallagher

Not really very good but humorous to a person easily entertained by humanized animals and their silly antics.

message 5: by Dar B (new)

Dar B (ruminatingbulls) | 121 comments 5. Speaking from Among the Bones
Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce, #5 ) by Alan Bradley

I waited for this latest installment of flavia De Lce for a very long time. It was originally to be released in October but didn't make it to my library until February. Alan Bradley does not let us down, either....., except if you don't like cliff-hangers. All of the others were stand alones but not this one. You will definitely have to read the next! I have to read the next, regardless! These stories are fantastic and I just adore the main character. I reccommend them to anybody who likes mysteries of any sort, children characters, family dynamics (especially among sisters), post war Britain, small town scenes, etc. Five stars!!

message 7: by Dar B (new)

Dar B (ruminatingbulls) | 121 comments Darla wrote: "Originally, I had set my goal to 28 last year but I am up to 39 boks, now! However, my reading has drastically reduced since I started working in October. I am going to play it safe and set it to 3..."

Well... we're moving again. I haven't had a chance to read much in over 2 months and not sure when all be settled down. So I dialed it back to 21.

message 8: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 4 comments what's for 2014??