What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA/Teen Dystopianish novel, mid to late 90s

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rose (last edited Dec 30, 2012 01:16PM) (new)

Rose | 1 comments I read a fantastic book when I was in Junior High. Somewhere between 7th and 9th grade, would have been 1997-2000. It was a YA/TEEN DYSTOPIA type novel. Unfortunately, I remember next to nothing about it.

Plot: Four kids (I think) are held in some sort of facility(a school? a lab?) They communicate with eachother either via telepathy or electronic communication (chatting?). One of the kids is autistic. Mainly I think it's a strong male and female lead. You read the story from the perspective of the kids as they're communicating. I know an escape is attempted.

Not a lot to go on, I know :( but SOMETHING about this story has stuck with me, and I'd love to read it again to find out what that something is. Again, I have to stress that this was quite a few years ago, and I know there are a lot of Dystopias out there that are relatively similar.
This has been driving me crazy for YEARS. After again discussing the topic with a friend from school and still not finding any answers, I have taken to the internet in hopes that SOMEONE will be able to help me out. I found this website via a web search that provided a link to another thread about someone searching for a book. Unfortunately, not of the books listed there are what I'm looking for.
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGdV...

message 3: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (casdena) | 64 comments This sounds a lot like Welcome to the Ark (Ark, #1) by Stephanie S. Tolan .

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Could it be A Cage of Butterflies ?

message 5: by Dichotomy Girl (new)

Dichotomy Girl (dichotomygirl) | 21 comments Diana wrote: "It could be Notes on the Hauter Experiment: A Journey Through the Inner World of Evelyn B. Chestnut. There's a fairly detailed review of it here."

Oh my God, Oh My God, Oh My God! I think that might be the book that I've been looking for, for years! I'm unable to find a picture of it anywhere online (which would be a clincher). The book I was looking for looking like a notebook, either white or yellow, and I read it in elementary or middle school (84-87). I think I have a thread on it somewhere, gotta go find it. Thanks!!

message 6: by Diana (new)

Diana Welsch | 529 comments Glad to inadvertently solve your query! :D

message 8: by bookel (last edited Jan 19, 2014 07:50PM) (new)

bookel | 2112 comments It could very well be A Cage of Butterflies by Brian Caswell (autistic references).

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 15 comments Reminds me of Welcome to the Ark (Ark #1)
by Stephanie S. TolanWelcome to the Ark
In one scene the teens have hacked the computer system to write to each other. And there is a shared dream aspect.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37777 comments Mod
Rose, was your book anything mentioned?

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37777 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Rose, was your book anything mentioned?"

No response; moved to Abandoned.