Bookworms Unite! discussion

Side read, 2013: Black House

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dustin (last edited Jan 01, 2013 03:00PM) (new)

Dustin | 1195 comments Mod
If anyone's interested in read Black House, I should be starting it in January. All are welcome to join!

As always, be mindful of all spoilers. Please hide or mark them. Thank you, everyone!

message 2: by Dustin (new)

I should be starting on the 3rd, or thereabouts, so for those interested, there is still time.:)

message 3: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC All right, Dustin! Thanks again for letting me know about this. I've been meaning to read this for a while.

message 4: by Dustin (new)

Hey, Chuck! Welcome!!

You are so welcome. It's great to have you here with us!

message 5: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC You know what? I haven't read "The Talisman." I want to but I wonder if I'll need before I read this?

message 6: by Dustin (new)

Good question, Chuck! But no, I don't think it's absolutely essential.. though I'm sure it helps to read The Talisman first.

message 7: by Dustin (new)

I haven't felt up to doing much of anything this last week, as I've been under the weather, so to speak. However, I am definitely ready to dive straight into Coulee Country, and I'll be doing so this afternoon/evening! Yay!! I cannot wait to get started!!

Where's everyone else in the book? Have you started yet?

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (notrace) I'll be starting it later today.

Glad you're feeling better Dustin, I was also sick over the past week and I don't like it at all. I'm too busy to be sick! LOL

message 9: by Dustin (new)

Awesome news, Tracy!

And thank you! I'm glad you're better now, too.

Will this be your 1st reading of Black House?

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (notrace) Yes, and I'm looking forward to it. Is it your first read?

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (notrace) I am really liking the atmosphere of the story. Also there are some very interesting personalities at play in this little county, I can't wait to see how they are all connected. I have a feeling something big is about to occur.

message 12: by Dustin (new)

This will be my second reading, actually, but it's been since 2001 or thereabouts, so it's like the 1st time.

I love the whole "bird's-eye-view" perspective. It's a very different writing style for both King and Straub! I'm so glad that you're enjoying it so far, Tracy!

message 13: by Dustin (new)

I'm really loving the overall darkness of the novel so far. I think it takes a lot of tenacity to take it that far, and do it exceptionally well.
The character development of Judy and Tyler Marshall is really nice, too!

How's it going for everyone else?

message 14: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (notrace) I am having a great time reading this book! I am so curious as to how all these little pieces are going to come together. This book sure does have its characters for sure, Henry, that horrible Wendell and of course Judy and creepy Burny as well as the staff at the senior home then mix in a visit to The Territories and I am hooked!

message 15: by Dustin (new)

It's really quite something, isn't it? I'm not nearly as far as you, but we seem to have mutual feeling on the book. I'm so glad you're diggin' it, Tracy! Not everyone is as ecstatic about Black House as you clearly are.

message 16: by Dustin (last edited Jan 16, 2013 11:59AM) (new)

I am now at the start of Part II: The Taking of Tyler Marshall.:(

message 17: by Dustin (new)

So it's been a bit slow so far, but things are starting to really pick up now! I'm looking forward to get back into it, and finding out what happens next!!

message 18: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (notrace) Dustin wrote: "So it's been a bit slow so far, but things are starting to really pick up now! I'm looking forward to get back into it, and finding out what happens next!!"

Sorry it is slow for you Dustin, but it is going to start picking up really soon. :)

message 19: by Dustin (new)

Oh, I'm not complaining, Tracy. Just an observation.

Please do feel free to be more active in the discussion. But always be mindful of possible spoilers, of course.:)

message 20: by Dustin (new)

I have every intention of really focusing on it over the weekend. I feel like I should be halfway done, at least. Either way, it's all good! I'm loving it!:)

message 21: by Dustin (new)

I'm at roughly 52% complete, and it just gets better and better. To see what Jack has become, and to know the events which helped mold his character, is truly remarkable. I'm loving it!!

message 22: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (notrace) Dustin wrote: "I'm at roughly 52% complete, and it just gets better and better. To see what Jack has become, and to know the events which helped mold his character, is truly remarkable. I'm loving it!!"

He is a fantastically written character! I truly hope that King and Straub continue his story, I feel that there is more to tell.

message 23: by Dustin (new)

I feel that way, too. I know that the plan has always been to write three novels, and I couldn't be happier. Hopefully their schedules will be open soon.

I also love Henry's character. He is amazing!

And per my latest status, I'm loving the DT connections. And Sophie!

message 24: by Dustin (new)

I'm really curious as to what roll(s) Henry will play as I approach the end.

message 25: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (notrace) Dustin wrote: "I'm really curious as to what roll(s) Henry will play as I approach the end."

Henry is awesome! He plays a MAJOR role. ;)

message 26: by Dustin (new)

Tracy wrote: "Dustin wrote: "I'm really curious as to what roll(s) Henry will play as I approach the end."

Henry is awesome! He plays a MAJOR role. ;)"

Indeed, he does! I'm very saddened, though..:( Why did that have to go down??

BTW, I finished the other day. YAY! I haven't written my review yet, but it is forthcoming.

message 27: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (notrace) Dustin wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Dustin wrote: "I'm really curious as to what roll(s) Henry will play as I approach the end."

Henry is awesome! He plays a MAJOR role. ;)"

Indeed, he does! I'm very saddened, though...."

I was so shocked, I did not expect that at all, Henry is such a wonderful character. Wouldn't it be cool if they could somehow bring him back for the third book. I'm probably dreaming but it would be cool. :)

message 28: by Dustin (new)

Yes, that would be very cool. Then again, I'd be over-the-moon happy with any Jack sawyer novel. I'm not even sure how they could bring Henry back.. unless it was back story or something.
Having read Black House once before, you'd think I would never forget about that, but it came as a complete shock. It hurts almost as much as Wolf...:(

message 29: by Dustin (new)

I am proud to present my official and complete review of Black House.