Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Discussions and Questions > What story should be retold...

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mermarie (new)

Mermarie | 956 comments Mod
I was thinking to myself - what story/book/movie, would be epic as a bodice ripper version? I've always wanted a darker twist to the Persephone & Hades mythological story. Or, maybe you can recommend one! :>

message 2: by Willow (new)

Willow  | 146 comments Oh yes, Persephone & Hades would be perfect for a BR. In fact, I think I read one about Persephone, but I can't think of the name. It wasn't that good though, kind of hokey.

I suppose if we're looking at Greek myths the story of Eros and Psyche would be good as a BR. :D

message 3: by Willow (last edited Dec 29, 2012 11:41PM) (new)

Willow  | 146 comments I just remembered the book. It was Dazzling Brightness by Roberta Gellis.

Yeah, it was pretty lame. And now I see she wrote a whole series, the next book being about Eros and Psyche too.

message 4: by Mermarie (new)

Aww, man. A book about Hades & Persephone and it's likely fail. Booo.

That story does deserve a retelling, though.

message 5: by Willow (new)

Willow  | 146 comments I agree!

I would love to see parts of the Manawydan made into a BR.

Every since I read a little snippet stating that some believed Math was the real father of Rhiannon’s son, Pryderi, I’ve had it in my head about a secret love affair between Rhiannon and Math. Pwyll was such an ass to his wife when their son disappeared. I can believe Pwyll was infertile since he spent too long in Arawn’s otherworldly court. I think Rhiannon could turn into a horse. That’s why she was able to carry all the visitors to the castle door on her back. So with Rhiannon’s faerie powers and Math’s wizarding powers they would make an interesting pair. :D

message 6: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 75 comments I'd love an awesome telling of the Hades and Persephone story. It's my favorite. Ever. And I've read a couple versions of it and they were all disappointing. I' d go all drooly over a kick-ass BR version :D

message 7: by Mermarie (new)

Willowfaerie wrote: "I agree!

I would love to see parts of the Manawydan made into a BR.

Every since I read a little snippet stating that some believed Math was the real father of Rhiannon’s son, Pryderi, I’ve had..."

I've no inkling WHY people aren't snagging the premise for old mythological stories for the premise for books.

I mean, alllll the greats have, haven't they? A great deal of Tolkien's work was inspired by Mythology. -.-

Kit★ wrote: "I'd love an awesome telling of the Hades and Persephone story. It's my favorite. Ever. And I've read a couple versions of it and they were all disappointing. I' d go all drooly over a kick-ass BR ..."

SAME. I even browse deviantART.com for images that could be interpreted for BR versions of Hades & Persephone. XD How could that story NOT have a BR interpretation? The underlining obsession and captivity of Persephone is 75% of your story already told! :D

message 8: by Jennifer (last edited Dec 30, 2012 07:20PM) (new)

Jennifer Leighton | 6 comments Kit★ wrote: "I'd love an awesome telling of the Hades and Persephone story. It's my favorite. Ever. And I've read a couple versions of it and they were all disappointing. I' d go all drooly over a kick-ass BR ..."

I third Hades and Persephone. I found a few short stories of them that are fanfiction that are AMAZING, but I'd love a full length novel, or even a novella, preferably erotic and explicit in nature. ;-)

message 9: by Mermarie (last edited Dec 30, 2012 07:48PM) (new)

HankLover wrote: "Kit★ wrote: "I'd love an awesome telling of the Hades and Persephone story. It's my favorite. Ever. And I've read a couple versions of it and they were all disappointing. I' d go all drooly over a..."

OOo...now that's a powerful hero; with all the power of the underworld on his side and at his leisure. >:E /dreamy/

So, that's four of us with the Hades & Persephone infatuation? :D It's sort of funny, the internet and even book groups here--how they bring together minds and whatnot. I always considered these interests & ideas to be mine to die with. LOL Honestly, I never spoke of romance novels or such things, until I found this group. :)

The mythological standpoint and retelling of their story is just too evasive and seemingly incomplete. There are such vague interpretations, too.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Leighton | 6 comments Here's one of my favorite fanfiction stories of them. This author has written several more—I highly recommend them all.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6463729/1/

I only wish they were longer!

message 11: by Mermarie (new)

Thank you, HankLover! I will definitely read that in the near future; I'm surprised one of us haven't started penning a Hades & Persephone themed novel in light of the news that there are so very few.

I always wondered if Persephone was starved, hence why she wasn't capable of resisting the pomegranate. XD

Oh bb, I'll starve you till you love me. LOL Reminds me of the hero from Captive in the Dark

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Leighton | 6 comments Mermarie wrote: "Thank you, HankLover! I will definitely read that in the near future; I'm surprised one of us haven't started penning a Hades & Persephone themed novel in light of the news that there are so very f..."

The Hades in the above fanfictions wasn't quite as sadistic as all that, lol.

message 13: by Mermarie (new)

HankLover wrote: "Mermarie wrote: "Thank you, HankLover! I will definitely read that in the near future; I'm surprised one of us haven't started penning a Hades & Persephone themed novel in light of the news that th..."

Haha, I always try to apply realistic scenarios, and they tend to be dragged down into the abyss itself, too. LOL Someday, someone will hear our cries for this knockoff.