Readers of Kindle Books discussion

Monthly Group Challenges 2013 > January Monthly Challenge: Start the New Year Off Right!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 230 comments Mod
I've been going back and forth trying to find just the "right" challenge to start the new year, and I finally realized that there is no one answer to the question of what is the right way to start the new year. So for this month's challenge, I look to you for the answer.

What is the "right" way to start off a new year of reading?

Will you re-read an old favorite or maybe finally get to that book that's been sitting on you TBR list for too long? Will you read one of your holiday gifts or start in on a year long reading project? Whatever it is, make sure your January read means something to you...and let us know why :)

Happy New Year and Happy Reading.

message 2: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 72 comments Mod
To start my new year off right (at least reading-wise) I'm going to re-read The Name of the Wind, which has been one of my favorite books. I actually listened to it on audio the first time, and I think some people think listening to a book is inferior to actually reading it....lol. Also, when I listened to it, I was a little apprehensive about it, because this was really not a genre that I normally read, or enjoy. Needless to say, I ended up loving it and I think reading it again will be a much better experience, because I can really just savor it and fall in love with the writing and the story.

So there's my challenge to start off the new year. Happy 2013!

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 230 comments Mod
Hey! That was my challenge book, lol! I listened to the audible the first time too, and a little birdy keeps telling me that's not good enough so I'm going to read it this time too.

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Smith (manna) | 4 comments I think I'm going to start off by re-reading my all-time favorite book, Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. I haven't read it in a few years, it would be nice to start off the year getting reconnected with Sarah and Michael. :)

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 1 comments I think I will re-read The Secret Garden. It was the first book I downloaded and read when I got my Keyboard almost 2 years ago. It has always been my favorite book ever since I.was little.

message 6: by Teri Pre (new)

Teri Pre | 455 comments Mod
I'm just going to keep going with the way I've been reading lately. I'm in the middle of 3 series (Cedar Cove, Thomas Pitt and Stephanie Plum) and read 1 series book, one "other" book, then another series book...until those series are done. Then I'll start another series and keep it up!

As for the "other" books, I read a library book, a purchased book and an old freebie. Am I a bit OCD? :D

message 7: by Andrea (Drea) (new)

Andrea (Drea) (msdre711) I just started the J.R. Ward Black Dagger Brotherhood series on recommendation from a few people so I think that will be the new series I will read in 2013.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (piperluvsbooks) | 1 comments I'm real close to finishing Wise Mans Fear day two of the Kingkiller chronicle.....so to start off my reading year I'm going to reread The Name of the Wind Day one of the kingkiller chronicle.

message 9: by Toni (new)

Toni (tonibettencourt) | 30 comments I'm reading The Name of the Wind! Can't wait to read this terrific book again!

message 10: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (ruthie1) | 24 comments ..Think I am the only one ever that didn't like The Name of the Wind...lol..Won't re read it...ever...

message 11: by Art (new)

Art | 6 comments My book for January ids joe Ambercrombie's The Blade Itself. It's been on my TBR list for a super long time. I've always keep saying I need to read that so I finally will!

message 12: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 18 comments I think I'm going to reread "The Great Gatsby." I would like to reread it before the movie comes out.

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim (utteredbykim) | 5 comments I have decided to re-read the Harry Potter series this upcoming year as I have not read them in a long time & they are some of my favorite books. So my monthly challenge will be Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone :)

message 14: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (u2fans) | 7 comments Originally I thought I'd start on my re-read of Stephen King's Dark Tower series for this challenge since I also just recently re-read The Stand and was shocked at how much I forgot - LOL even though it'd been 20+ years since I'd read it. But then I was looking thru the books on my kindle I still haven't read and decided to read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen instead. I bought this in 8/2011 so it's finally time to get it off my TBR list!

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 10 comments I decided to read Under the Dome by Stephen King. I have been meaning to read it and it was recently on sale. Quite a change from the Virgin River Series I have been reading. I read book 1-6 and needed a little break.

message 16: by Barb (new)

Barb | 1 comments Well Debbie, I've got you beat:) the first book Kindle book I ever downloaded was MetaGame... on 12/14/2009! I need to get that read. I may still do a re-read of the Hobbit. It's been 40 years since I read it and I need to figure out how they're going to make 3 movies out of that wee book!