Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2013! Yay! > Alison's "I survived the end of the world" 2013 books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (last edited Mar 12, 2013 08:17PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments I won't be posting to this until the New Year, but I thought I would get one started while I was thinking of it. My first books will either be the Game of Thrones Series or the Shades of Gray series.

message 2: by Alison (last edited Jan 02, 2014 03:15PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments Here is a list of at least some of the books that I will be reading this year.

Tail Spin
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
4. A Storm of Swords
5. A Feast for Crows
6. Emma (E)
7. Les Misérables
8. Anne of Green Gables
9. Dracula
10. Frankenstein
The Two Towers
12. The Return of the King (R)
13. 2012
14. Dead Until Dark (D)
15. Living Dead in Dallas
16. Club Dead
17. Dead to the World
18. Dead as a Doornail
19. Definitely Dead
20. All Together Dead
21. From Dead to Worse
22. Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
23. Everything Is Illuminated
24. 24 Hour Lottery Ticket
25. 24 Hour Nightmare: A Short Story
Catching Fire
Mockingjay(M)
28. Honeymoon in High Heels
29. BRAVE
30. Plum Spooky
31. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
32. Ethan Frome
33. Fade to Black
34. Fairytale Confidential
35. Sorrento Beach
36. The Set-up
37. On the Razor's Edge (O)
38. Death on the Hill
39. Always a Cold Deck
40. The Bard's Daughter
Bel Canto
42. Humbug on the Hudson
43. Atonement by James Bailey
44. Cold Granite
45. Island Child (I)
46. Where the Sky Ends
47. The Railway Angel
48. Weeping Willow
49. Kahonua Island (K)
50. Uncle Flynn(U)
The Princess Bride
52. Anastasia Syndrome
53. All Around the Town
54. Weep No More, My Lady
55. He Sees You When You're Sleeping
56. Daddy's Little Girl
57. Pretend You Don't See Her
The Lottery Winner
59. Silent Night: A Christmas Suspense Story
60. Let Me Call You Sweetheart
61. On the Street Where You Live
62. We'll Meet Again
63. Oblivion
64. Hidden Gem
65. Daimon
66. Changelings & Other Stories
67. The Society Of The Blue Dragon
68. Almost Perfect
69. Secret Vampire Night World 1
70. Daughters of Darkness Night World 2
71. Spellbinder Night World 3
72. Chosen (black dagger bro 3)
73. A Perfect Christmas
74. Double Trouble
11/22/63 (1)
76. Dark Lover (black dagger bro 1)
77. all about the dress
78. Worth the Scandal
Vampire Academy (V)
80. Bloodlines
81. Claudine's New Adventure
82. The Lemonade War
83. Dodger
84. Moon Dance
85. Vampire Moon
86. American Vampire
87. Moon Child
88. The Vampire With the Dragon Tattoo
89. The Vampire Who Played Dead
90. Sheila's Passion
Atlanta Heat
92. The Fall of Shane MacKade
93. The Return of Rafe MacKade
94. Under a Vampire Moon
95. The Rogue Hunter
96. Wanted: Undead or Alive
97. The Black Echo
98. Big Sky Mountain
99. Shiver
100. Morning Comes Softly
malachi: a love that never lets go
102. Zombie(Z)
103.Nicholas and Company: The Merman and the moon forgotten(N)
104. Your Happily Ever After(Y)
105. 3+3(3)
106. 416 (4)
107. 50/50 (5)
108. The Seventh Mountain (7)
109.The Quest for the Crystals: The Book of Wind(Q)
110. 69 Old Hard Road book 5- Best Friends (6)
111.Txt (X)
112. The House of the Seven Gables
113. 8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf (8)
114. Master of the Nine Steps (9)

This should get me through a year and more! All of these books I own except for some of the Mary Higgins Clark books I am borrowing from my Grandma and the Princess Bride which I borrowed from a friend. I am going to stick to this list. The only extra books that should be on here are bible studies from my church.

Also, I am going to start a page number goal. Since I have never done that before, I am going to start low and go for 5,000 pages for the year. And I am going to continue my classic book goal since I didnt quite make it last year. I am going to go for 5 again. I made 4 last year.

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess Cattanach (jesscatt) | 217 comments Good luck this year, Alison! I like the looks of your list, there are a number of books on there I want to read as well/have enjoyed in the past (I really liked the Game of Thrones series, the show is great too!)

message 4: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments Thanks Jess!

message 5: by Alison (last edited Jan 20, 2013 02:47PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 1. Tail Spin I wasn't too impressed with this book. Towards the end it got better. It took 70 pages to get into the story and get all the back story done. To me, that is too long. Hopefully other Catherine Coulter books are better! I am going to try and read her again. This book was a free book I won on Goodreads.

pages 307
total= 307

message 6: by Alison (last edited Oct 26, 2013 02:28PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments I decided to keep my alphabetical list going from 2012 until I get them all filled.

Alphabetical List 2012-2013

A- All Through The Night, A Righteous Wind,Atlanta Heat, Alison
B- Blood Meridian, Bloody Halloween
C- Cristal: Coping with Spina Bifida, Corn-pone Opinions, The Color of Magic, The Catcher in the Rye, Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
D-
E- Ender's Game
F- From Snicket to Shakespeare, Fellowship of the Ring, Fools Rush In
G- The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest, Game of Thrones
H- The Help, The Hunger Games, The Hunter
I-
J- Johnny Doesn't Drink Champagne
K-
L- The Lottery Winner
M- Malachi: A Love that Never Lets Go
N- Not A Fan
O-
P- Poirot and the Regatta Mystery, The Princess Bride
Q-
R-
S- Surprised by Worship, Sherlock Holmes Investigates: The Pink Jewel Conundrum, Sasha's Revenge
T- Twas the Chihuahua before Christmas,Tail Spin, Those Amazing Dogs Book 2: In the Viking Volcano, The Two Towers
U-
V- Vampire Academy
W- War of the Worlds,The Wizard of Oz, A Walk in the Park
X-
Y-
Z-

1- 11/22/63
2- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
3-
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-

message 7: by Alison (last edited Jan 20, 2013 02:51PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 2. The Princess Bride- I wasn't planning on reading this book this year, but a friend brought it to me to borrow since I am in a care center healing up from surgery, so I thought i better read it. I have seen the movie, and I forgot quite a bit since it has been a while since I saw the movie. I remembered the very beginning and the ending. Everything else in the middle was pretty much new to me. lol. I could not put this book down! There was one night I read more than 100 pages. I will now have to track down the movie since the story is fresh in my mind. I would definitely recommend it, even though it is a pretty long book.

books-1
classics-1
pages= 307+ 387= 694

message 8: by Alison (last edited Mar 01, 2013 07:55PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments Abandoned Book Graveyard
Bel Canto- Started it as a group read in 2012 and took a break from it because I couldnt get into it. So I started it back up in 2013 and am having the same problem. Hopefully I will read it sometime.

Boxers-I thought this story would be about Boxers (not the underwear), but it was a Boxer's diary. Really kinda stupid. I quit on page 9.

message 9: by Kelani (new)

Kelani | 205 comments Hey Alison! Good luck!! I see you have several books that I have read and want to read on your list!

message 10: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments Kelani wrote: "Hey Alison! Good luck!! I see you have several books that I have read and want to read on your list!"

Thank Kelani... BTW I added u as a friend

message 11: by Kelani (new)

Kelani | 205 comments I see that! Thanks! I saw we had the same taste in books and had to add ya!

message 12: by Rose (new)

Rose (obsessedreader9) | 215 comments Oh, I love Bel Canto! At first I was resistant--the setting and premise did not appeal at all, but then as characters emerged and I started caring, I became completely enraptured. It's an amazing book--absolutely Patchett's best.

Rose

message 13: by Alison (last edited Jan 26, 2013 12:40PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments Im gonna give it another try sometime down the road.

message 14: by Alison (last edited Feb 06, 2013 01:50PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 3. The Lottery Winner by Mary Higgins Clark- This was one of Mary Higgins Clark's best books in my opinion. I loved it! There were so many different mysteries in this book it kept you guessing the whole time. Alvirah and Willy are great at solving mysteries. I can't wait to read more books that they are in.

books-2
classics-1
694+272=966 pgs

message 15: by Esther (new)

Esther | 62 comments You should put Everything is Illuminated in your list at the E ;) Or Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which is also a very good book!

message 16: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments Im going to read Everything is Illuminated this year for E! :) We have the same taste!

message 17: by Alison (last edited Feb 18, 2013 11:07AM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 4. Atlanta Heat
Wow! This book ended like I didn't think it would. It was a short little book. At first I thought it was gonna be a military Seal book where they are trying to protect the admirals god-daughter. Thats what it was at first, but it turned into a WAY different story! Ill leave it at that. And I am surprised that I didnt have a dream about a snake last night cause there was an anaconda in the story. I HATE SNAKES!

books-3
classics-1
pages 966+86= 1062

message 18: by Alison (last edited Feb 27, 2013 10:24PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 5. Vampire Academy
Im racing through books this year! Im doing a lot better than last year. This book was a pretty good book. In the end I was expecting more interaction between Rose and Dimitri. I bet that will come in one of the other books. I was happy to see that(view spoiler) got a bf, but was surprised what happened to her at the end of the book. I wasn't going to read the others in the series but I think I might have to!

books-4
classics-1
pages 1062+ 234= 1296

message 19: by Alison (last edited Nov 20, 2013 08:35PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 6. Alison- by M.B. Forester-Smythe When I found this book I had to get it, even though it was free because of my name. I never see any Alison spelled like that, so when i see it spelled like my name. I snatch up whatever it is!
This book started out as a guy who hired a housekeeper and assistant to his job. Her name was Alison. By the end of the book they had a relationship. I really liked it even though it was really short. The sad thing about this book that even though i liked it would have made me like it even more is that it had quite a few typos and punctuation errors. I most often dont catch the punctuation errors, but boy do i catch the misspellings!

books-5
classics-1
pages 1296+96= 1392

message 20: by Kelani (new)

Kelani | 205 comments I love the Sookie series. I'm waiting on the next book! Have you read any of the other Charlaine Harris books

message 21: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments Nope!! First time.

message 22: by Alison (last edited Mar 07, 2013 08:36PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 7. Malachi: A Love That Never Lets Go by Lisa Harper. OK... So I actually didn't finish the whole thing. I was so confused doing it on my own during the week that my bible study partner and I decided to pitch it before the last week. I got most of it done, but I was so behind with what we were talking about that i just wasnt caught up enough. This bible study was of course on the book Malachi. Its a very short book in the bible, but it has a lot to it! And a lot of confusing stuff!!!! Out of the bible studies that I have done this one is one that I liked the least. I am still going to count the pages I did do though.

Books-5
Classics-1
Bible Study-1
Pages 1392+115=1507

message 23: by Alison (last edited Mar 14, 2013 07:32PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 8. A Game of Thrones- I finally finished this book after a month and a half. It took me a while to get into the book and to understand who everyone was and get the houses figured out. Once I got all of that figured out I loved it and couldnt put it down!! It ended on a cliffhanger so I might just have to pick up the next book right away. Here is a note to everyone who reads this book... Do not pick a favorite character. Because once you do something will happen to them!

Books-6
Classics-1
Bible Study-1
Pages 1507+807= 2314

message 24: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 9. A Walk in the Park by Jane Green- A Walk in the Park- Before book starts girl finds boyfriend in bed with her best friend. Both are ex's now. Girl's best friend steals her Biore cream (Weird I thought, since it went through the whole book).Girl has little dog. Big dog attacks little dog. Guy comes and gets big dog which is his grandma's. Guy takes little dog and girl back to his grandma's house. Little dog isn't hurt too bad. Girl starts to fall for guy. Girl goes looking for guy in the grandma's house and finds grandma dead. Girl gets mad at guy. Guy explains. Guy and girl date. The End! Thats the whole book!! Really stupid book

Books-7
Classics-1
Bible Study-1
Pages 2314+24=2338

message 25: by Christine (new)

Christine (christinekinsella) | 17 comments Alison wrote: "8. A Game of Thrones- I finally finished this book after a month and a half. It took me a while to get into the book and to understand who everyone was and get the houses figured out. Once I got al..."

WTG Alison! Game of Thrones is quite the challenge! Definitely a series you can sink your teeth into once you get going with it. And it is definitely a page turner... I've been thinking about reading it again now that I'm collecting the audio. Have you seen the HBO series? I haven't but I'm curious about it.

message 26: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments Thanks! And no I haven't seen the HBO series. I don't get HBO. I would like to see it. I will probably have to buy it sometime.

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine (christinekinsella) | 17 comments Yeah, I don't either. Just wondered. I saw the videos somewhere and didn't pick them up...haven't seen them since.

message 28: by Alison (last edited Mar 16, 2013 03:25PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 10.Those Amazing Dogs Book Two: In the Viking Volcano by Edwin M. Fenne I thought this book would be more of a cute adult book. But instead, it was more of an upper elementary school/jr. high read. That's ok. I enjoyed it. I would have given it one star but there was a bit of history on the Vikings at the end and that popped it up a star for me. I loved how all the animals talked and how dogs, an arctic fox, and a polar bear got along so well! That would never happen in real life.

books-8
classics-1
bible study-1
pages 2338+98=2436

message 29: by Alison (last edited Apr 12, 2013 11:01PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 11. The Hunter: Episodes 1-4 by Goran Zidar: This was actually 4 books that I had on my Nook but since they were all really small I decided to put them into one book. This series is actually 7 books, but I could only get the first 4 on Barnes and Noble. This book was about Kade, who at the beginning was running away from animals. Then he crossed a river and went into a territory he seemed to recognize, but he wasnt sure. He came up to a bar where a lady was working. She hid him while the cops came to try to find "a fugitive", but they couldn't find anything. Then she took Kade to her house in the country. This is where we find out that this lady from the bar is a vampire. Thats where I stopped. I am going to try and find the rest of the books because I want to know what happens to Kade.

Books-9
Classics-1
Bible study-1
pages:2772+153= 2925

message 30: by Alison (last edited Apr 13, 2013 11:10AM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 12. The Two Towers: This book wasnt my favorite. I have the movies at home and The Two Towers is my least favorite of the series. I was very bored with the book at the beginning and was struggling through it. When Sam and Frodo came back in the story I was more interested. And when Gollum came in, I breezed through it. I love Gollum! Now to eventually read the last of the series later this year.

books-10
classics-1
bible study-1
pages:2436+336= 2772

*Next up on my ereader is Enders Game*

message 31: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 13. not a fan. Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus by Kyle Idleman: I loved this book. I read it for the bible study I am currently in. I read ahead but they said that was ok. This really taught me a lot about my faith and what things I am doing that I need to change or step up and do. If you are a believer in God and are struggling where you fit in with God, this is a great book to read.

Books-10
classics-1
bible study-2
pages 2772+ 215= 2987

message 32: by Alison (last edited Oct 26, 2013 02:32PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments GROUP/ BUDDY READS

JANUARY

FEBRUARY A Game of Thrones
MARCH
APRIL
MAY11/22/63
JUNELes Misérables
JULYLes Misérables The Catcher in the Rye
AUGUSTThe Picture of Dorian Gray
SEPTEMBER
OCTOBER The Last Song
NOVEMBERAssassin's Apprentice
DECEMBER

message 33: by Alison (last edited Jun 22, 2013 09:24AM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 14. Ender's GameI absolutely loved this book! This is gonna be a tough one for the other books to beat for the year. At the beginning I could definitely see me as Ender Wiggin. I went through a lot of bullying and name calling when I was in jr high and high school. I loved the progression of Ender as he went from that stage to becoming more powerful, to eventually becoming the leader of everything. I enjoyed the descriptions of the games that he was playing and could picture myself playing them. The ending really through me for a loop though. I thought how the author brought the video game back into play at the very end was clever! Although, I said I was like Ender Wiggin and had empathy for him, I myself, still have not conquered being powerful like he was. I guess thats something that I need to work on!

books-10
classics-2
bible study-2
pages 2987+766= 3753

message 34: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments group read for june and july is Les Mis

message 35: by Kelani (new)

Kelani | 205 comments What group is doing that?

message 36: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments its called "2013 reading challenge". its a group that comes up with lots of different challenges for the year. it can be difficult!

message 37: by Robert (new)

Robert | 7 comments Alison, Les Mis is a wonderful book just be careful Victor Hugo likes to explain the history leading up to the events in the book once you get into the story you'll love it

message 38: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments thx 4 the warning!

message 39: by Alison (last edited Jun 22, 2013 09:24AM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 15. 11/22/63- This was my first King book and I think it was a good one to start with. I loved Jake and Sadie's love story. I thought the end was a little out there but it is SK after all. If you like history read this book. I learned so much about the Kennedy era that I never knew. I would love to go back in time to see someof this stuff. SPOILER: Someome dies but if might not be who you are thinking it is! :)

books-11
classics-2
bible study-2
pages:3753+864=4617

message 40: by Alison (last edited Jul 18, 2013 09:21PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 16. The Catcher in the RyeThis was a great classic book! I didn't care much for the writing style of Salinger, but once I got into the story I ignored it... for the most part. Holden Caulfield is a jerk. Or at least i thought at the beginning of the book. The author made the character seem like a stuck up snot. Like he didn't care about anyone but himself. He flunked out of school... his 2nd and was really snotty about it in my opinion. Later in the book we realize he isn't stuck up at all! I won't give anything away but I can pretty much relate to Holden's life. Once I figured out what the author was telling us about Holden, I liked the book so much better. At the end, I had a lot of sympathy for him. I would have given this book 5 stars, but I am taking one star off for the writing style. This is one classic book I would definitely recommend!

books-11
classics-3
bible study-2
pages:4617+198=4815

message 41: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 17. The Picture of Dorian Gray Who knew that a picture could ruin a persons life so bad. I liked the Dorian before the picture was done, but not after.

books-11
classics-4
bible study-2
pages- 5,782 (i am just going to do the page numbers that I have for another group. I think my calculations have been wrong)

message 42: by Mackenzie, Group Read Curator (new)

Mackenzie | 295 comments Mod
Alison wrote: "16. The Catcher in the RyeThis was a great classic book! I didn't care much for the writing style of Salinger, but once I got into the story I ignored it... for the most part. Holden Caulfield is a..."

I think I would still argue that, in the end, I still felt Holden was a stuck-up snob who had not learned much, but after reading it, I do still think it is something everyone should give a go at least once.

message 43: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 18. Facebook's Lost Love- This was a cute short storyy of how two old friends found eachother on Facebook and rekindled their romance. I gave it 2 stars. It would have been 3 but it was too predictable.

books-12
classics-4
bible study-2
pages- 5,817

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) You've been kicking butt on those big books this year! Way to go, Alison!

message 45: by Alison (last edited Oct 26, 2013 02:31PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 19. Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God- This is a followup to Kyle Idleman's Not A Fan. My bible study group did both. Crazy Love was really eye-opening to me and will help me figure out how I need to change my life to have God in it more. This was my first Francis Chan book I have read and I will be reading more of his books and listening to his sermons in the future.

books-12
classics-4
bible study-3
*not going to continue pages, although I am approximately at 7,000*

message 46: by Alison (last edited Nov 20, 2013 08:33PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 20. The Last Song- Be prepared to bawl like a baby at the end. I didnt think that would happen to me because it never has, but i was wrong. I kept putting off finishing the book because I had seen the movie and knew what was gonna happen. The love story between Will and Ronnie was great. This was the first Nicholas Sparks book i have read and he is now officially my new favorite author. He is very descriptive and it is easy to picture what is going on in the story, even if you havent seen the movie. But beware if you read it, have kleenex handy the last 100 pages or so!

books-13
classics-4
bible study-3

message 47: by Alison (last edited Nov 20, 2013 08:33PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 21. Living Crazy Love: An Interactive Workbook for Individual or Small-Group Study- This is the 10 week workbook for Chans book Crazy Love. I thought the book was pretty self explainatory and didnt need a workbook. Saying that the workbook did have some tough questions and made me think outside of my box.

books-13
classics-4
bible study-4

message 48: by Alison (last edited Dec 01, 2013 01:46PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 22. A Clash of Kings-If I could I would give it 4.5 stars instead of 4. This book wasn't as good as the first one in my opinion. I did really like it though. Martin has a really great way of being descriptive. The battles that were in this book were really well thought out. Now I wonder what Bran and Rickon will be up to next!

books-14
classics-4
bible study-4

message 49: by Alison (last edited Dec 10, 2013 12:48PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 23. Catching Fire- 4 stars. I am not giving this book 5 stars because I didn't think it was as good and as gripping as the first one. The ending made up for it though. I just wanted to start Mockingjay immediately. I didn't understand the Quarter Quall right away, but Katniss and Peeta going back in to the arena made fans of The Hunger Games get hooked. I wonder what Collins will come up for with Mockingjay!

books-15
classics-4
bible study-4

message 50: by Alison (last edited Jan 02, 2014 03:14PM) (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments 24. Mockingjay-This wasn't my favorite of the series by any means. I was more confused during this book than I had been with the others. Collins did write a great series even though I was disappointed with this book. A lot of things happen to the characters in the series during this book. I won't spoil it for anyone. The one question is: Who does Katniss end up with? Peeta or Gale? We find out!!!!!

FINAL TALLY FOR 2013
BOOKS-16
CLASSICS-4 (Almost got done with Les Mis :(
BIBLE STUDY- 4