Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > AUTHORS - Want to promote your MG book cheaply and with other MG authors? Read on :) - COMPLETE

Comments Showing 1-50 of 352 (352 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Sally (new)

Sally Harris (sallyharris) | 46 comments 14 Books, 14 Writers, 14 February - It's Love MG, Actually!

Are you an indie author who has released a middle grade fiction book in the last 12 months? Want to promote your book cheaply and in a way that is targeted at those who read middle grade fiction? Are you on Twitter, Facebook and blog? If you answered yes to those three questions then read on!

Over Christmas I've been thinking about different ways to promote my middle grade book Diary of a Penguin-napper in 2013 and I've come up with an idea centred around Valentine's Day in February. I'm currently calling it Project Love MG, Actually.

The basic idea is to produce an e-book (called 'Love MG, Actually' ... obviously!) that contains the first chapters of 14 different middle grade books. Readers will be able to download the e-book for free and read the first chapters of all of the 14 books and then follow links at the end of each first chapter to purchase the books if they would like to read more. Sounds simple so far, right?

Well, to make things a bit more exciting and to encourage readers to download the free e-book, I thought we'd get more downloads if we gave readers the opportunity to win a Kindle Fire. Readers who download the free e-book will be able to hunt through the 14 different first chapters to find a 'secret password' and link that will enable them to enter a competition to win the Kindle Fire. Obviously the secret password and link would be in the latter half of the book to encourage readers to browse through as much as the book as possible first!

So, all that being said, I'm on the hunt for 13 other middle grade writers with books that they would like to promote. The aim is to have the free e-book available for download from Feb 1-14, with the winner of the Kindle Fire announced on Feb 14. As one of the authors featured in this promotion, you will need to be willing to creatively promote the free e-book via Twitter, Facebook and your blog, as well as any other social media networks that you are a part of (Such as here on Goodreads!)

The cost to be involved in this promotion is $15 USD, which will go to covering the cost of purchasing and posting the Kindle Fire, as well as compiling/formatting the e-book and cover design.

If you're interested in being involved or if you'd like some more information, please feel free to contact me directly here on Goodreads or via email sally(at)frankly-books.com. And of course, you're welcome to share this info with others out there who you think might like to be involved.

Happy holiday reading!

message 2: by Sally (new)

Sally Harris (sallyharris) | 46 comments Only 11 spots left to join in this promotion if you are an MG author. Cheap, easy and fun - what's not to love? If you've got any questions or apprehensions, don't hesitate to get in touch and I'll do my best to answer any questions you have.

Best wishes,
Sally

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Grasso | 103 comments Hey Sal
Have you done a twitter post. I have quite a few middle grade authors in my feed, so it would be great if you could do a post and I could retweet it. I didn't want to take the liberty of doing that without asking etc. I hope you got my email, I am keen to be involved, cheers Jules

message 4: by Sally (new)

Sally Harris (sallyharris) | 46 comments Definitely got you down Julie! I've sent out a few tweets already - you should be able to find them on my recent tweets list or feel free to compile one of your own to spread the word :)

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie Grasso | 103 comments Cool Sally, weird they didn't show up in my twitter feed, but I found them. Cheers Julie

message 6: by Jacci (new)

Jacci (jaccit) | 59 comments Akk, don't know if my MG book will be out by then. But, what a great idea!! I'll let you know if it is. Or maybe we could do it all again for summer reading. JT

message 7: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 1357 comments Mod
Hello Sally. This is a great idea. My second book is just coming up to its publishing anniversary and if that's ok I'd like to put it forward for the promotion. I'll send you a message.
Cheers - Jemima

message 8: by Sally (new)

Sally Harris (sallyharris) | 46 comments Message received Jemima and I've got you down. That means only 8 places left! :)

message 9: by Krista (new)

Krista Breen (kristamichellebreen) | 46 comments I'll take one!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Count me in!

message 11: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Bilman (jeff_bilman) | 29 comments Sounds great, please count me in, and thanks Julie for the Twitter feed!

message 12: by Sally (new)

Sally Harris (sallyharris) | 46 comments Brilliant! So far I've got:
Myself
Steve
Scott
Julie
Jemima
Paul
Jeff
Krista
and possibly Natalie
all signed up! That means that there are only 5-6 spots left in this promotion which is really exciting. If you are signed up, I'd love it if you'd share the idea with other MG writers that you know (Thanks Julie for doing this already!) so we can get this promo filled and organised!

Thanks for your interest already - I'm mega excited!
Smiles,
Sal

message 13: by Adam (new)

Adam C. (AdamVeile) | 14 comments Hi, Sal! I'd like to be involved. Any spots left?

message 14: by Sally (new)

Sally Harris (sallyharris) | 46 comments Definitely - so now the list reads:
Myself
Steve
Scott
Julie
Jemima
Paul
Jeff
Krista
Adam
and possibly Natalie. So only 4-5 spots remain! Yay!

message 15: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Bennett (nabennett) | 20 comments I would love to be a part of this too!

message 16: by Sally (new)

Sally Harris (sallyharris) | 46 comments Brilliant! I'll email you the details, Nikki! (This is so exciting - I've got computers and phones and emails all pinging at me every half an hour with more interest. Whoop!)

Myself
Steve
Scott
Julie
Jemima
Paul
Jeff
Krista
Adam
Nikki
and possibly Natalie. So only 3-4 spots left ... Tell your friends!

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1662 comments Mod
I was just looking at the other books participating, and after seeing Jeff's book I'm thinking that I might HAVE to participate, just because my Ninja is so completely different! Sally, PM me more info.

message 18: by Sally (new)

Sally Harris (sallyharris) | 46 comments Updated list is as follows:
Myself
Steve
Scott
Julie
Jemima
Paul
Jeff
Krista
Adam
Nikki
Natalie
Rebecca

So just two spots left to fill! And I've already got some first chapters etc to start compiling it.

Just a note on those chapters - some people have asked if they can include a prologue along with their first chapter and that is ok. The aim of the promo is to tantilise the reader and give them just enough of your book to make them want to read more - so make sure you stop at a spot that will make them want to buy the rest. (Having said that, please don't send 5 chapters! Just the first 1-2 as I don't want to devote the entire rest of my life to compiling them all together!)

Smiles,
Sally

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine (coolmom) | 65 comments Stanley & Katrina are interested in participating if you still have room. I'm sending you a message now. :)

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

Okay, I need a decision fast and you can help. I'm waffling about the title for my sequel to The Ninja Librarian

I either just stay simple and call it "The Ninja Librarian
Returns," or more like "Return to Skunk Corners (A Ninja Librarian Novel)"

Thoughts? Without having read either, got any better ideas? I want to include the title at least almost exactly in the info about my chapter, as the sequel should be out by the end of Feb. (if I have a release date in time, I'll put that in too).

message 21: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Bennett (nabennett) | 20 comments I haven't read the first one yet (hoping to get to it this weekend) but, not knowing the premise at all, I think "Return to Skunk Corner" is kind of funny. And probably pretty appealing to kids too.

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine (coolmom) | 65 comments I'm with Nikki. I like "Return to Skunk Corner." It makes me want to know more.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the 2nd, Return to Skunk Corner. I know nothing about either of them, but I like the distinction, and besides, it's fun.

message 24: by Rebecca (new)

Your reasons seem sound to me! I'll probably use a smaller font below to say "A Ninja Librarian Story" in order to keep the two clearly tied together.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I like that best. I might even recommend to be sure to use the same font, just smaller as the 1st one. You want readers to be able to identify books from the Ninja Librarian Stories at a glance.

message 26: by Jemima (new)

My Princelings Trilogy (and the later ones) get the link to the series in the Amazon title if you put the series title in your KDP entry. I can't remember what Smashwords does but I always put a mention of the series in the blurb anyway.

I think Return to Skunk Corner is fab! And I'm looking forward to the Ninja Librarian. One of my guinea pigs thinks he's a ninja, so he got special powers in my next book lol The trouble is, I don't know much about ninjas!

message 27: by Rebecca (new)

Jemima, I don't know much about Ninjas either. I haven't made any effort to be realistic; the story is a tall tale in the true tradition--utterly unreal and a load of fun.

I know more about librarians :D

message 28: by Jemima (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Jemima, I don't know much about Ninjas either. I haven't made any effort to be realistic; the story is a tall tale in the true tradition--utterly unreal and a load of fun.

I know more about libra..."

What a relief! I know I'll enjoy it!

message 29: by Krista (new)

Krista Breen (kristamichellebreen) | 46 comments Ninjas don't like others to know much about Ninjas.

I vote for The Return to Skunk Corner too. The craptastic name Skunk Corner immediately makes me want to know why anyone would ever return there.

message 30: by Sally (new)

Sally Harris (sallyharris) | 46 comments Right - just to bring the conversation back to the promo for a moment, I have received files from the following people:

Diary of a Penguin-napper - Sally Harris
The Golden Scarab - SW Lothian
Gasparilla’s Treasure - Scott Clements
Lionel’s Grand Adventure: Lionel and the Golden Rule - Paul R Hewlett
Escape form the Forbidden Planet - Julie Anne Grasso
The Secret Underground - Natalie Bahm
Super Ninja Alien Robot Monsters - Jeff Bilman
The Princelings and the Pirates - Jemima Pett
The Ninja Librarian - Rebecca M Douglass

and I have begun formatting these into the e-book, but I can't really finalise it until I have files from:

Krista
Adam
Nikki
Christine
+ the one lucky person to fill spot 14! There is just one spot left to fill so please take the time to contact other MG writers that you know to see if they would like it.

Could we aim to have all of the files to me by Jan 14 please as it will take time to compile everything together.

Also, I will begin sending out Paypal invoices (hopefully) tonight, so do keep an eye out for those in your inbox as I won't be able to upload the promo until everyone has paid.

Best wishes,
Sally

message 31: by Krista (last edited Jan 13, 2013 09:27AM) (new)

Krista Breen (kristamichellebreen) | 46 comments Gotcha. Kettle on and working on it right now!

message 32: by Christine (new)

Christine (coolmom) | 65 comments Perfect. I think I should have everything to you by tonight!

message 33: by Renee (new)

Renee  (motherdaughterbookreviews) | 14 comments Do you have enough authors because I'm happy to contact some personally to ask them if they would like to participate? Just let me know and I can get on it right away. I'm very excited about this, and as a blogger, I would be thrilled to help promote this by posting something on our site, Mother Daughter Book Reviews. :D

message 34: by Krista (new)

Krista Breen (kristamichellebreen) | 46 comments Awesome Renee! Thanks for your support :)

message 35: by Jemima (new)

We were one short - I dont know if Sally has sorted that yet :)

message 36: by Renee (new)

Renee  (motherdaughterbookreviews) | 14 comments Jemima wrote: "We were one short - I dont know if Sally has sorted that yet :)"

Ok, I'll wait for the official word from Sally. :)

message 37: by Renee (new)

Renee  (motherdaughterbookreviews) | 14 comments Krista wrote: "Awesome Renee! Thanks for your support :)"

My pleasure! :D

message 38: by Sally (new)

Sally Harris (sallyharris) | 46 comments Hey guys - thanks so much for asking around and especially to Renee for her support. We'll definitely get you to do some promotion when the book is up on Amazon, Renee! I've just filled the final spot (phew!) so I'm going to spend time this afternoon getting it all together.

I'll have to double check my emails and make sure I've got all of the files now, so please make sure you check your email later today in case there is anything else that I need from you. Thank you to those people who have already paid their invoices and I'll be sending the rest out this afternoon too (as I didn't have everyone's email addresses when I did the first batch!) I'll also send you all a bit of a 'press release' so that you know what information to use when promoting this promotion!

I'm so chuffed that we've got enough people and there are some great stories being included in this collection :) Well done peeps!

message 39: by Jemima (new)

Thanks for bringing us all together, Sally :)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Sally!

message 41: by Christine (new)

Christine (coolmom) | 65 comments Sally, you are WONDERFUL!!!!

message 42: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Bahm (nataliebahm) | 9 comments Thank you so much for putting it all together, Sally! I can't wait to see the finished product.

message 43: by S.W. (new)

S.W. (swlothian) | 843 comments Mod
Renee wrote: "Do you have enough authors because I'm happy to contact some personally to ask them if they would like to participate? Just let me know and I can get on it right away. I'm very excited about this..."

Hi Renee... this is the one that I mentioned in my last email to you. Thanks for your enthusiasm to help.

message 44: by L.S. (new)

L.S. Hullinger | 26 comments Oh, rats! I missed it! I was hoping to be included. Well, if another one is scheduled please count me in :)
Sounds like a great idea and I'll look forward to seeing how it works out for all of you.

message 45: by Sally (new)

Sally Harris (sallyharris) | 46 comments So I just finished the cover ... anyone want to see it? :)

I have all of the files now except for the last ones from Author #14 - Anna - and almost everyone has paid too (if you haven't, this is your reminder!)

Providing I have everything (money and files) by tomorrow then I'm hoping to have a proof to send you all to check by tomorrow night and have the files uploaded shortly afterwards. Make sure you keep an eye on your emails in case I need to get any extra info as we don't want to lose momentum at this stage!

LS - if it works well this time, then I'm sure we'll do it again down the track! :)

Everyone else - start making lists of bloggers, twitter contacts, friends, etc who might be able to run a post, advertise or similar as part of the promotion. The more people who find out about this, the better!

message 46: by S.W. (new)

Sally wrote: "So I just finished the cover ... anyone want to see it? :)

I have all of the files now except for the last ones from Author #14 - Anna - and almost everyone has paid too (if you haven't, this is..."

It's sounding awesome Sally. Great job. I'd love to see the cover.

message 47: by Sally (new)

message 48: by S.W. (new)

Sally wrote: "

"

Awesome Sally. You've done a wonderful job.
Three cheers and a happy dance from me.

message 49: by Sally (new)

Sally Harris (sallyharris) | 46 comments (PS I hope you all like it! The pressure of trying to choose something that would fit with everyone's books and still look interesting/exciting/appetising to potential readers was pretty overwhelming. I can make a few tweaks if you like, but I think that it does the job ...)

message 50: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Bilman (jeff_bilman) | 29 comments To quote Borat (and I probably shouldn't), 'Very nice.'

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.