Around the World discussion

Personal Lists 2011-2013 > BarbaraC's Around the World 2013

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbarac (last edited Oct 10, 2013 10:37PM) (new)

message 2: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments I haven't even started on this list! Yikes. Between a new job, Christmas, my parents visit, I haven't read much, and what I have is from countries I keep revisiting (China!). Ok, goal for this weekend, I'm reading one of these books.

message 3: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments Judy, In general I'm fascinated by other cultures (I love reading about Nordic countries), but what is it about China and Japan, that whatever books that comes across my hands or eyes about China or Japan, I can't pass on? Specially memoirs. My mom and sister are hooked too, so I think you're right, it's contagious.

message 4: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments Yahoo! I finally started on this list!
#1 Antarctica: At the Mountains of Madness.

message 5: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments #2 Guatemala: Family Resemblance. Only on my second book and already off my original list :)

message 7: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments Wow looking at it this way I see a lot of white! Need to conquer it all :)

message 8: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments you're right! that's why Africa and S. America look so white...all those small countries :)

message 9: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments #3 Odd and the Frost Giants in Norway, great children's fantasy/mythology book.

message 10: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments #4 The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope for Malawi. It was a very inspirational book. Should be mandatory reading for high school kids.

message 11: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments Yeah, it was really amazing. It made me remember all the times in my life I complained about homework, or tests. It took me forever to read because I don't have any reading time lately, and less time for reviewing, but I did love it.

message 12: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments #5 In the Land of the Long White Cloud for New Zealand. Could have been great, but wasn't at all.

message 13: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments I have 2 more on my kindle to read from NZ...Island of the Lost: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World and The Whale Rider. I have a feeling, of the 3, I chose the worst one to read. But I'll still read the other 2 in the future, of course.

message 14: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments Just like I like them Judy!

message 15: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments #6 Things Fall Apart for Nigeria. It wasn't my favorite book of Africa, but it was a quick read, and pretty enjoyable.

message 16: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments #7 The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey for Brazil. 3.5 stars because I thought it was repetitive. But the story is amazing, everybody should at least hear of it.

message 17: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments #8 A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea for Iran. Cute story, I think it was supposed to have a light and positive effect but must have caught me on a bad day and only managed to depress me. Made me miss my Iranian friend from college whose father made her go back to Iran in 1991 and we haven't seen each other since. Well, at least we have Facebook :-)

message 18: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments Wow, I'm really behind. I need to find more time to read...ha, ha, ha. Wishful thinking :)

message 19: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments #9 The Shark God: Encounters with Ghosts and Ancestors in the South Pacific for Micronesia. Some portions of the book were very interesting, while others(personally I find the author got a bit obsessive with the subject of religion) were very dull and had me skimming thru and turning multiple pages at once. But all in all it was a fun experience to read and get a glimpse of this culture which I don't know much about.