The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 04, 2008 11:04PM) (new)

Does your significant other like to read as much as you do? Do you both like the same books? And does he watch Gilmore Girls with you??

message 2: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 6 comments He does actually. We both love sitting down and watching the show. When I we first picked up the box sets of each season we would sit down with a bottle of red wine and watch it. We both read, him a little less active with it then I am but still he is a reader. And yes we do read a lot of the same books, with the exception of my romance novels.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

My hubby watches the show too, but he probably won't ever admit that to any of his friends. He loves to read. But he mostly sticks to sci fi or manga books. Altough we did share the Harry Potter & A Series of Unfortune Event books. We're looking for another good series to start, but nothing looks interesting, lol.

message 4: by Sera (new)

Sera My husband does not watch GG. He likes to read, but it's quite sporadic. Our taste in books is pretty much aligned. Like your SO, Frances, we both read the whole Harry Potter series, which was cool.

message 5: by Meghan (new)

Meghan My husband does like to read, but as he is Chinese and English is his third language, he doesn't read as much as me. However, I did get him to read the Alchemist and he absolutely loved it. I'm trying to get him to read the Life of Pi, but he's not having as much fun with that.

He's never watched GG but mainly he wasn't in the US to watch it with me before it ended and I didn't have any of my dvds with me. But he would watch it if I was watching it just to spend the time with me. I'm not sure he'd be all that into it on his own though.

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 74 comments My husband reads a little. He'll mostly read stuff about WWII or other historical time periods. I have been watching GG on DVD's when I get alone time, so I actually don't know if he'd watch it. I guess I'm kind of hording them for myself and I plan to keep it that way!

message 7: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
No, no, and no. My husband says they talk too fast (The GG). He's really busy with work and doesn't get to read much. As far as entertainment and leisure, my husband likes in this order 1) sports, sports & sports 2) action movies 3) hunting. What was that Paula Abdul song? Two steps forward, and two steps back? Haha. (First Paula Abdul reference on GoodReads?)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Alison...I have that song stuck in my head now, lol.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) My husband doesn't read anywhere near as much as I do. He did read all of the Harry Potters and gobbled them up. But typically it takes him six months to read a book because he'd rather play on the internet or watch TV than read. Reading is something that was very important to me as a child, and my parents read to me as a baby. Brent's family didn't encourage reading in the same way.

He did like GG though. I started watching them on DVD when Meghan told me I would love it (around season five, I think). He would roll his eyes and complain that I was watching a girly show but after he sat with me a couple of times and watched it, he got hooked. It even got to the point that he'd be mad if I watched it without him. And it helps that he thinks Lauren Graham is hot. Hee. He HATED Jess and Chris. And Jason.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah, my hubby was the same way with GG at first. He would play on his computer while I was watching the show..and slowly he started inching his way to the couch because it was interesting, lol. He does it with Grey's Anatomy & Ugly Betty too. Although, he doesnt wanna admit that he's interested in those shows, lol.

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary | 29 comments My husband did the eye-rolling thing for a while too. He got sucked into GG one Christmas break when I watched all of Season 1 in two days. Now he loves it as much as I do. We even sing the theme song together! Should I be admitting that??? A group of our friends (originally his friends, mostly male computer programmers) come over every Thursday night to watch TV and eat pizza. GG was our staple show for several years, so I swear no one is immune to Rory and Lorelai. I imagine the hotness factor helps.

He reads a lot- maybe more than I do, and he's FAST so he burns through books. We have the opposite taste in books though. He loves Sci-fi and non-fiction. I'm all about realistic fiction and especially Victorian lit. He did get me to read a Star Wars book over break and I actually really enjoyed it (shock and dismay!!). I don't want to read any more of them, though, so I don't see us fighting over books any time soon.

message 12: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments My husband reads more and faster than I do. He usually sticks to scifi/fantasy and history/other nonfiction, whereas I prefer literary fiction with an occasional side of fantasy fiction or science nonfiction. The fantasy genre is where we most overlap and sometimes swap books.

As for GG, he had the typical reaction of scoffing at first and gradually becoming more and more interested. He's not mad when I watch it without him, but he never misses an opportunity to watch it with me if he sees it on.

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin | 76 comments My dh loves books, but only those with pictures, lol! he's an oil painter and has quite a collection of art books. he'll read about artists he admires or about an approach to painting, but can't remember ever reading a novel.

If he's passing by when I'm watching GG he'll get sucked in and enjoy it. But he doesn't seek it out or want to watch a marathon of episodes, like I'm tempted to!

message 14: by Arielle (new)

Arielle | 120 comments Hah! Mary, your post had me cracking up!
My hubby liked GG at first, and continued to like Lorelai, Sookie, Richard and, Emily, but he felt that the rest of the characters were really annoying and they all talked the same way, which drove him crazy. So it was my thing.
As far as reading, he is a total non-fiction nerd! :-) He's reading 2-3 books all the time. He'll read all kinds of stuff, but he makes fun of my fiction addiction. However, he started reading The Hobbit this week due to an obbessive love of the Lord of the Rings movies, and he's actually loving it...a fiction book...I think life as I know it no longer makes sense!

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin | 47 comments Alison, your husband sounds like mine. He doesn't read or watch Gilmore Girls (the witty banter gets to him). Reading to him is "pointless" but he is an accountant and I am an English teacher so...there you go! Unless we're watching House, Scrubs, or 24 he is watching sports or anything on ESPN (currently watching poker--what's the POINT of that?). He's a keeper though despite his "faults." hehe!

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) When Brent does read he likes John Grisham, Michael Crichton, Mario Puzo, and authors like that. He also reads a some historical fiction (specifically the civil war) and nonfiction. He likes political nonfiction and "making of" books about his favorite movies and TV shows. We both are involved in community theatre and he also likes to read books about theatre. He also likes some fantasy, mainly Harry Potter. Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars.

But mostly, if he's not online or playing video games or at the theatre for rehearsals or board meetings, he's watching TV. He likes FoxNews and college football and the DVDs of Frasier and Dallas. He's also a big movie buff so we do a lot of DVDs.

message 17: by Robbie (last edited Jan 05, 2008 07:33PM) (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments My husband is not a reader, although he's considered getting a t-shirt that says "I can read". We read a few books out-loud together before kids, but we had trouble agreeing on which books to read. Harry Potter books were successful, and he's actually read all of them--even the ones that came out after we stopped reading to each other. The few books he does read are usually non-fiction.

We don't watch much TV. We don't have cable, and the TV is used mostly for kids' videos and DVDs. I've just gotten started watching GG, via netflix, and I mostly watch it when I have insomnia. Alas, my husband is also a great sleeper!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I usually watch GG when I have trouble sleeping too, and then end up watching a whole season because I get so into it, lol. My hubby is a great sleeper too, he sucks. I think its because of the Navy that he's like that, he learns to sleep through any noise.

message 19: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments my husband has insomnia all the time and i'm the great sleeper in the family...that is until baby was born. now we're both up at all hours. he's more of a gamer when he can't sleep though, whereas i tend to hit the books then.

message 20: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Oh yeah. I forgot that my husband would watch GG long enough to tell me he "liked Lorelai's clothes" which translated meant, she looks good in jeans. And she does!

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) She looks good in boots too. Although have you noticed she's kind of pigeon toed? One of her feet is turned in a little when she walks. But she has the perfect legs for boots. I guess that's how it works when you're 5'9".

message 22: by Erica (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments I have to say that one of my great disappointments in life is that my husband does not like to read or watch much tv at all, let alone the shows that I like. We have actually had some decent sized battles over my tv time. He doesn't like either of these things too much because he is not a native English speaker and has a hard time following the shows, especially ones like GG because they have so many pop culture references that he just doesn't get. And then reading, well he is more of a hands on kinda guy. If I could change one thing about him, I think that would be it!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

My hubby admitted that the girls are hot..but that it sorta wore off as he got into the show. He thinks they're still attractive, and he said that Alexis got REALLY hot, lol.

message 24: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments My fiance actually reads quite a bit, I forced him to join Goodreads (LOL!) just because, well, it's awesome. He's a very intelligent man, and comes from a very literary family. If that makes sense. He has his English degree from Princeton and is a big 18th and 19th Century literature buff. I've been getting him into more modern and recent works (and he does enjoy those as well). We tend to enjoy the same books, but of course not the Nicholas Sparks stuff, he's not a big fan of those kinds of things. He appreciates the necessity of a good chick book in a woman's life every now and again, it's just not something that interests him. However, regardless of what he says, he is like a character straight out of a Sparks novel. It's ridiculous!

As far as GG goes, he enjoys the witty nature of the show, but he never says 'hey we should watch Gilmore Girls'. It's something I watch when I feel a specific way, whether I'm feeling really sick from Chemo and want something to remind me of my mom, or I'm missing my mom, or my family...GG has an emotional attachment for me, big time, so he never tries to take that away from it (not like it would if we watched it together regularly), but he feels like it's something sacred for me, a connection I have with my mom, and while once in awhile he enjoys it, he doesn't want me to feel like he needs to be a part of that. Wow I don't think ANY of that made sense. Feel free to smack me for that y'all.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Dee, I feel the same way about GG. I have an emotional attachment to it too, and my dh knows that too.

message 26: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
I'm single and have honestly only ever had one boyfriend in my life, so I suppose I shouldn't really be on this thread. But you'll have to suffer through me anyway...

I'm 5'8" and my soon-to-be sister-in-law (on the 26th!) is 5'9" (hate her just a little for that - always wanted to be tall) and neither of us look like that in jeans. LOL

Here's my thing, in season one what the HECK was up with those hideous high-waisted, big-pocketed, khaki cords Lorelai kept wearing??? Ugh. They were horrendous, unflattering, and never went in any way with the top she was wearing.

message 27: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Oh, but I do look good in boots!

message 28: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Michele, it sucks that the one guy lucky enough so far to be your boyfriend was such a...well, [insert your favorite applicable insult here].

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I'll drink to that, Robbie!! Boys are so stupid. Michele rocks.

message 30: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

You two just made my day! My heart just melted and I got all happy. Sigh. It's good to be loved!

message 31: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments My husband loves Gilmore Girls for several reasons. He has a huge crush on Lauren Graham, and he developed a somewhat uncomfortable liking for Rory as she got older. He was 100% for Luke and against Christopher. Watching the show together was always one of our special things to do together. One of our favorite musicians, Grant Lee Phillips, played the Stars Hollow town troubadour. His band Grant Lee Buffalo had a great album "Mighty Joe Moon" that we used to listen to all the time when we were first dating. Also, my husband loves the band the Pernice Brothers - I think Joe Pernice was on the show once, and they used some of their songs on the show. Rory's nerdy friend Glen wore one of the band's t-shirts during a scene in the Yale newsroom. The shirt says "I Hate My Life" on the front - it has since become my husband's all-time favorite t-shirt.
My husband reads mostly plays, since he works in the theater. If he reads a book, it's usually history. For a long time, I thought he never paid attention to my reading. I was telling this to a friend of ours who is very much into books, and he surprised me by saying, "That is completely untrue. Chris always knows what you are reading, and he loves to tell everyone how well-read you are!" That was one of those nice moments when I realized my spouse actually DOES pay attention to what I'm doing.

message 32: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Beth - you got a good one it would seem! Great story.

message 33: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) Here's a winner:

My husband reads statistics on track athletes performance times almost exclusively. I used to ask him about it, but when my eyes started rolling in the back of my head I figured I'd just let him read away on his own :)

He will NOT watch GG with me, but we have a great time watching old movies together or suspense thrillers, which I'm recently crazy about.

Oh, and we read out of an inspirational book together every morning before we get out of bed.

message 34: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Beth, my heart jumped at your story! So sweet. I'm officially jealous.

"K," I think it's really cool that you and your husband do that little bit of inspirational reading together before you rise in the morning. I'd like that one day. Really threads you together in those first moments of the day before you are pulled apart physically by the daily grind... especially if it's spiritual reading.

message 35: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

My husband is a wonderful person, don't get me wrong, but he gets a little offended if I try to read while he's in the room. He wants to talk, or just be doing the same thing (like watching a movie, or TV).

He has, however, always wanted me to be a writer, because he thinks if I could write that one big hit, we could both retire rich, like tommorrow. Haha. He's always giving me journals (leopard fur covered one, purple satin one with beads)...I always tell him it's harder than it looks!

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) My husband's not offended if I read in front of him, but he forgets that reading takes concentration and talks to me ALL THE TIME when I'm trying to read. It drives me bonkers.

message 37: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Dee - I forced my guy to join goodreads too... I'm awful... but yeah he joined, added all the books he owns that he likes, and then never visited again. He says he's just not as organized as me. and I gotta admit I can be a bit of an organizational freak, especially about my books.

We read together a lot, or we used to before baby. We'd also occasionally read to each other, which is fun. If anything, I'm the one who stops and suggests a game or other activity, but that's usually when I'm not liking the book I'm reading at the time.

Have to love the animal fur journals. My mom used to buy me a new one every year for christmas when I was in college.

message 38: by Erin (new)

Erin | 76 comments Sarah - I sympathize! Mine does the same. It usually starts with 'Sorry to interrupt... let me know when you're at a stopping point.' but now my brain is a bit pre-occupied, can't really concentrate anymore. But nevertheless, out of pure meaness, I'll keep reading a little bit longer, just to make him wait. ugh - so mean!

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Gosh, mine doesn't even apologize until after I've looked up at him in an exasperated, you're-disturbing-me-is-it-really-that-important-or-can-it-wait look.

message 40: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Alison, so dang cute. He sure thinks you are all that - and you are, so PERFECT.

Arctic H, I'm the same about organization. My ex-boyfriend liked it (so it seemed), but I think it can drive people a little mad at times.

message 41: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) My dh does not like to read to often.He would rather watch tv.He also never watched GG he works to late in the evening to ever catch the show. I think if he did he would have liked it.The only books he read were the Davinci Code which he never finished even though he liked the book.He read all the way to the middle of the 5th Harry Potter then quit.He just doesn't have alot of time to readso it takes forever then her forgets what he has read so quickly.He gives up.

message 42: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany My husband isn't a reader at all! The only book I've seen him read enthusiastically was The Count of Monte Cristo which I got for him because he loves the movie. He did watch GG with me in the earlier seasons before he started going to night school.

message 43: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments he might like some of the other Dumas books as well if you are looking to encourage him - many of them are fast paced, even more so than Monte Cristo.

message 44: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

I have gotten my husband a few sports books because he does like sports so much. I just can't imagine not wanting to read about something I liked so much, but, I guess it's a little different (he'd rather be watching than reading :>)

message 45: by Jim (new)

Jim Have you already finished the Atonement discussion or am I in the wrong group.

I think it would be better if I advised my ex wife to take over my membership in this group but she doesn't read much - would that disqualify
her from being in this group?

She does talk about her ex(that's me - there is a word for excessive use of he by a 1st person speaker but I forgot it) but I don't think she refers me as
nicely as I do to her.

I did read over 100 pages of Atonement yesterday but really prefer my book Proust and the Squid which is about the history and the science of reading.

I sat in a Barnes & Noble and read 1 of their copies. They had music on but since the first 100 pages or so isn't exactly rocket science, I comprehended that Briony, Cecelia and the rest of these people eventually have something more important happen to them than what happened to them in the 1st hundred pages.

If someone doesn't reassure me that not having your play performed by your poor cousins whose family is falling apart, is some metaphor/similie/any thing for some thing else,
I may have to go have some good Scotch at the 1/2 off happy hour price at a pretty cool college bar at Ohio State.
at this place called McFaddens, the 10yr old Scotch is $3.75 at happy hour. I can't find another place where they sell this year Scotch for less than $8-10/shot. The only problem is that I'm 40 yrs older than most of the patrons there although faculty, staff and others closer to my age do come in.
I don't think the Hookup generation at McFaddens would care if they received the Vagina Monologues by mistake as did Cecelia but I may bring it up with some of the people there who actually may be reading books for their classes.
I hope the movie is better but I'm going to try to take my 21 yr old and my 12 yr old to see Juno.

That is if my ex who is pretty mad at me for suggesting that we might have to change the visitation structure to where I have the 12 yr old more because I don't think it's good for a woman child especially to grow up around women who don't read much and talk a lot about how they prey upon their poor husbands or what bastards their exes are.

I assume all of you see my point of view here.
Maybe it'll come up in the last 200 pages of Atonement. I hope something happens sometime.

Jim

PS Allison why did you think I would fit into this group?

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yes, Jim, we have started the discussion. It's in the "Atonement" thread in the "Monthly Book Discussions" folder.

message 47: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Jim: Because we are all reading the same book, and it's interesting to see perspectives from all walks of life. And because I knew you were anxious to read it. As Sarah said, it's over in the monthly discussion folder under Atonement.

message 48: by Missy (new)

Missy | 2 comments My husband reads when he can and he loves to bookshop just like me. We have books all over the place. We sometimes read the same books, but he is vry sci fi, horror, goth, macabre and I am more classics and humor. He has yet to watch GG with me, but I know he would love it but never admit it...he just did that with the movie Juno. He totallly laughed through the whole movie and then was like, "It was ok."

message 49: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Where did ya'all FIND all these guys? I mean they all sound so cool... and like, normal. I get all the fuckwits, as Bridget Jones would say. (Sorry about the swearing, but I was quoting! LOL)

message 50: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Michele, no worries. It was a literary reference. :)

« previous 1