Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2013! Yay! > *Kate Year Four: 65 Books in 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments Looking forward to another 15,000 pages (goal is 16,000!)

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 1. What Katie Ate: Might be the most gorgeous food writing ever created!

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 2. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/67...

Listing The House by Roberto Innocenti because I recommend it so highly.

message 4: by Kate (new)

message 5: by Kate (last edited Jan 25, 2013 08:28PM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 4. Hemingway's Boat: Everything He Loved in Life, and Lost, 1934-1961 Hemingway's Boat Everything He Loved in Life, and Lost, 1934-1961 by Paul Hendrickson

I can't say enough about this book if you're at all interested in the topic. What a fascinating author and family!

message 6: by Kate (last edited Feb 08, 2013 07:04AM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 5. Runaway by Alice Munro Runaway

I'll admit that Munro is a brilliant short story writer. With the exception of the title story, I'm not sure that I found insights meant to be gleaned from the other stories very interesting.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 6. Gone Girl Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Psycho-thriller. Very captivating read.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 8. Anagrams Anagrams by Lorrie Moore

Interesting storytelling . . .

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 9. Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin

Well-written suspenseful novel. Superb character development.

message 11: by Kate (last edited Feb 14, 2013 07:42PM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 10. When it Happens to You When it Happens to You by Molly Ringwald

After Olive Kitteridge, I decided that I like a novel-in-short-stories. The scope is limited (another goodreads commenter themed it marriage-in-distress) but I enjoyed the intelligent writing.

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 11. The Ice Dragon The Ice Dragon by George R.R. Martin

Just for fun . . .

message 13: by Mairzi (new)

Mairzi Kate wrote: "10. When it Happens to YouWhen it Happens to You by Molly Ringwald

After Olive Kitteridge, I decided that I like a novel-in-short-stories. The scope is limited (another goodreads commenter the..."

I loved Olive Kitteridgebut don't love short stories. Do you think I would like this? Did just read and love, love, LOVE The Twelve Tribes of Hattiewhich is structured very like a collection of short stories, each one about different siblings

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments Honestly, I'm not sure you would. A bit neurotic, disjointed for your taste I THINK. I will add Hattie to my list; have heard lots about it.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 12 Canada Canada by Richard Ford

Masterpiece! I love an adolescent narrator and a coming of age story. To emerge from the smoldering wreckage of a childhood, sharing your insights along the way . . . brilliantly done.

Another top read of my lifetime . . .

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 13. Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed [book:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail|12262741
4 stars -- great non-fiction read

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 14. Wildlife by Richard Ford Wildlife

Richard Ford was an instant favorite after Canada. This simple yet profound story has a teenage boy coming of age during his parents' unraveling. Love.

message 19: by Kate (last edited Mar 28, 2013 07:53PM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments I heard and read that Tenth of December was a best book of 2012. I don't get it. My well-read neighbor said a guy's perspective prevails. No such thing has ever alienated me before, but he may be right. The final and title story was insightful. I did keep reading to finish; I don't always. Flustered! Tenth of December Stories by George Saunders

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 16. The Dinner by Herman Koch The Dinner
I enjoyed this novel. However, in the final analysis, it seems ordinary. Ordinary plot. Characters evolved predictably. No lyrical prose underlined by this lover of language. I recommend it but find myself only content (not impressed) now that I've finished.

message 21: by Kate (last edited Apr 07, 2013 07:50AM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 17. The Ultimate Good Luck by Richard Ford. Ford is my new favorite writer and this book was well done. Clearly an early work but I can't wait to plow through more. The Ultimate Good Luck by Richard Ford

message 23: by Kate (last edited Apr 08, 2013 05:28AM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 19. The Girl She Used to Be The Girl She Used to Be by David Cristofano Quick/entertaining read. Stockholm Syndrome/Witness Protection/Mafia.

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 20. Why We Write (Edited by Meredith Marah) I read this in one sitting and enjoyed all of the anecdotes from established writers about their experiences (inspiration, rejection, anxiety, success . . .) It's all in there~

message 25: by Kate (last edited Apr 16, 2013 07:59AM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 21. All Souls by Michael Patrick McDonald.All Souls: A Family Story from Southie All Souls A Family Story from Southie by Michael Patrick MacDonald

It took a little bit of patience to get into this story for some reason but now I'm glad I know the author's story.

message 26: by Kate (last edited Apr 16, 2013 07:59AM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 22. The Devil's Star (Harry Hole, #5) by Jo Nesbø The Devil's Star Glad I gave Jo Nesbo a try; this was a good read. Think Tana French meets Dragon Tattoo -- perhaps the language isn't beautiful but it's insightful and the story cryptic enough to keep you reading.

message 27: by Kate (last edited Apr 28, 2013 06:43PM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 23. One Good Turn Kate Atkinson Loved, loved, loved this book. It can be difficult to keep track when otherwise unrelated characters converge -- Atkinson weaves her mystery together masterfully. One Good Turn (Jackson Brodie, #2) by Kate Atkinson

message 28: by Kate (last edited Apr 28, 2013 06:44PM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 24. Headhunters Jo Nesbo. Quick, suspenseful read. Glad I found this author . . . Headhunters by Jo Nesbø

message 29: by Kate (last edited Apr 28, 2013 06:45PM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 25. The Twelve Tribes of Hattie The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis

message 30: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 26. Tinkers Tinkers by Paul Harding Tinkers Beautiful little story . . .

message 31: by Kate (new)

message 32: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 28. The King of Lies The King of Lies by John Hart

Solid, engrossing mystery with some beautiful language and imagery.

message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 31. The Borrowers (The Borrowers #1) by Mary Norton The Borrowers Wonderful children's story

message 36: by Kate (last edited May 27, 2013 07:15AM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 32. Nemesis Nemesis (Harry Hole, #4) by Jo Nesbø

Hooked on Jo Nesbo

message 37: by Kate (last edited May 27, 2013 07:15AM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 33. Hunts in Dreams by Tom Drury Hunts in Dreams Thank you, Goodreads, for facilitating my discovery of another brilliant writer. Can't wait to plow through Tom Drury's other work. The story follows some interconnected characters through their searches for happiness, meaning, understanding, acceptance . . . loved the pace and theme

message 38: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 34. Dragon of the Red Dawn Dragon of the Red Dawn (Magic Tree House, #37) by Mary Pope Osborne Read this one to my 7 y.o.

message 39: by Kate (last edited Jun 08, 2013 05:39AM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 35. The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood The Robber Bride This book will stay with me. It's a reflection on friendship, identity, love & commitment -- all amidst bits of personal hysteria! The characters and plot come full circle (while I enjoyed the closure was it a bit trite? Will ponder . . .). I don't profess to understand my mother's generation (post-WWii babies) but I enjoyed the perspective.

message 42: by Kate (last edited Jun 30, 2013 06:02AM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 38. A quick true crime to kick off my Vaca . . . Good readTo The Last Breath: Three Women Fight For The Truth Behind A Child's Tragic Murder To The Last Breath Three Women Fight For The Truth Behind A Child's Tragic Murder by Carlton Stowers

message 43: by Kate (last edited Jun 30, 2013 06:04AM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 39. In this way I was Saved . . . Psycho-drama -- a fave genre! In This Way I Was Saved A Novel by Brian DeLeeuw In This Way I Was Saved: A Novel

message 44: by Kate (last edited Jun 30, 2013 06:06AM) (new)

message 45: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 41. The Double Bind The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian Parallel stories converge . . . well done and right up my alley!

message 46: by Kate (last edited Jul 14, 2013 08:46AM) (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 42 Isabella Moon Isabella Moon by Laura Benedict Solid murder mystery; great summer read! I would give it ***1/2.

message 48: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 44. Zen Shorts Zen Shorts by Jon J. Muth

Including this b/c it's wonderful; read it to my 7 y.o. son and he wants to read it every day now

message 49: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 45. Fairy Tales Fairy Tales by E.E. Cummings

Read this to my 7 y.o. and he didn't appreciate it; purchased a 1st edition on vacation in CT -- LOVE, LOVE, LOVE

message 50: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments 46. The Body Artist A best-selling author's rambling meditation on a 3rd wife's progress through her husband's suicide.

« previous 1