! YA Heroines ! discussion

Book Discussions > 2013 JAN - Carnival Of Souls by Melissa Marr

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (last edited Jan 07, 2013 05:02PM) (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Our January BOTM theme is demons! I've heard great things from Carnival Of Souls Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr by Melissa Marr, so tell us what you think in the comments below.

***Edit 1***

My Opinion:
I really like Carnival Of Souls. I'm gonna keep this real simple.

Liked

~ The name Mallory - I just like her name, I don't really know why?
~ Plot
~ World building (really good)

Disliked

~ The romance. Insta-love anyone? Not me.
~ The book is too dark for my tastes.

Looking forward to

~ Seeing Mallory in action

Overall I enjoyed this book but Mallory (The main character) didn't actually do much! LOL But you can tell that it's only a matter of time before she makes her stand!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I agree one everything you said except for the last dislike, but that's only because I kinda like dark books. I don't think I've read any book that was really similar to this one, so I like the originality.

Characters

Mallory: She has a lot of potential to be a great heroine later, but she didn't do as much as the other characters did.

Kaleb: His whole insta-love was a little weird, and he has a tendency to make important decisions affecting others without consulting them first. Other than that, he was a good character.

Zevi: This guy is awesome. He's a little odd, and he reminds me of a really loyal dog.

Aya: She may just be my favorite of this book. She's ruthless and power-hungry, but she isn't so much that it makes her evil. She has some compassion (view spoiler), even though she doesn't show it very often, and her actions had good reasons behind them, even though it caused others to resent her for them.

Belias: (view spoiler)

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments I agree that Zevi is awesome and now that I think about it maybe it wasn't that dark but kinda depressing. E.g. Everybody could die at any moment sort of thing. LOL.

message 4: by Haley (new)

Haley For me, carnival of souls felt like it was only half of a book. Although I really enjoyed it, the main characters didn't really do alot, and I felt like the story needed a bit more before we were left to wait for the next book. Mallory was almost like a passive passenger in this story, but hopefully that means she will have a bit more to do in the next book.

message 5: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Considering that Carnival Of Souls is quite short, I think that Ms. Marr could have packed more in and made it longer (She has written mid 300 page books). The thing is I think she wanted to stop at a high moment/cliffehanger. So she had to stop there, I wouldn't really know but thats just what I'm thinking.

message 6: by Cassandra (last edited Jan 29, 2013 12:58PM) (new)

Cassandra This book had so much going for it.
Taking place in two worlds, one for witches, the other for shifter was pretty epic.
Having the second world be so gritty and real with the Untamed Lands and The City. With The City housing the pleasure district where you can indulge in your selfish desires. Very animalistic and very brutal. It was perfect.
And then there were the Carnival of Souls. I thought it was going to be like Battle Royal meets fight club or something.

But that was only (unfortunately) 20% of the book. Carnival os Souls, in reality, was all about clandestine romance and forbidden love.
There weren't enough fights or action.
And the author did something I really hate.
She describes and summarizes what characters are like instead of showing us their personalities through action. I feel like I only know what the characters personalities are because Marr said they were like that-- She spelt it out for us. Aya was probably my favorite character, but throughout the whole thing, we kept reading, "Her ruthlessness and emotionlessness." Can we see that for ourselves? Through action, preferably?

And lets just say I didn't pick up this book because I wanted a fluffy 'you belong with me even though I just met you!' read.

message 7: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Yea, it's good but slightly disappointing, I prefer her Wicked Lovely Series.