2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > Debra's 2013 Book Challenge - 50 Books

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments 5o books will be a challenge for me even though I love to read...but I am going to give it a try.

message 2: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments I am going to try and read from the Goodreads 100 challenge the following books. I challenged myself to 20...hopefully I can do that...I may change a few of the titles that I committed to...
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Eyre
The Great Gatsby
Wuthering Heights
The Little Prince
Sense and Sensibility
The Kite Runner
Crime and Punishment
A Tale of Two Cities
The Help
The Time Traveler's Wife
Water for Elephants
To Kill a Mockingbird
Fahrenheit 451
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Golden Compass
The Hunger Games...that is 20...but I may switch one for The Secret Garden.

message 3: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments Defending Jacob by William Landay

Finished...This book would have received 4 stars had the ending been different...I gave the book 3 stars. Without giving too much away...I expected a different ending.

message 4: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments Finished Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. I loved this book...it turned out to be a book that I normally wouldn't even consider..but I am happy that I did.

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

message 5: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments I am currently reading The House on Tradd Street. I am thankful that I can use my books for several challenges..makes my life so much easier. The House on Tradd Street (Tradd Street, #1) by Karen White

message 6: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments Finished reading The House on Tradd Street...I gave this book 5 stars. Onto to the second book which I don't have yet...going out to the bookstore today to see if they have it in stock... The Girl On Legare Street (Tradd Street, #2) by Karen White

message 7: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments Finished reading The Girl on Legare Street. This series is very good...love the relationship between melanie and Jack and I love all the ghosts too. The Girl On Legare Street (Tradd Street, #2) by Karen White

message 8: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments Not sure if I want to jump right in and read the third book in the series or if I want to read something else...

message 9: by Quenby (new)

Quenby (quenby23) | 35 comments Debra wrote: "Finished Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. I loved this book...it turned out to be a book that I normally wouldn't even consider..but I am happy that I did.

[bookcover:Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Books..."

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. It is in my stack on the nightstand!
I'm curious to know why you wouldn't normally choose it.

message 10: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments Quenby wrote: "Debra wrote: "Finished Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. I loved this book...it turned out to be a book that I normally wouldn't even consider..but I am happy that I did.

[bookcover:Mr. Penumbra's..."

The book is somewhat of a mystery and I don't normally read mysteries...but I found this book to be very good.

message 11: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments I am reading Gone Girl...on page 120...not a very interesting book...I will say that Gillian Flynn's book descriptions make her novels sound very interesting...but Gone Girl just doesn't have a 'don't want to put this book down until I have finish it story' (I actually have no trouble putting this book down)...I am going to finish it...but I probably won't read anymore of Flynn's work unless someone highly recommends. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

message 12: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments It's supposed to be really great what do you find wrong with it?

message 13: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments I know...and a lot of people have read it and liked it...but I find the story simply uninteresting. I have to really like the charcaters in a novel and the two main characters...Amy and Nick...I just find them to be... for lack of a better word...boring!!!

message 14: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Ugh. I had a problem like that with a series I was reading. I love the main character but then when new characters were introduced they were were so passive it was ridiculous. It messed up the book for me :/ Maybe it gets a little better though. Thanks for letting me know (:

message 15: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6296 comments Debra wrote: "I am reading Gone Girl...on page 120...not a very interesting book...I will say that Gillian Flynn's book descriptions make her novels sound very interesting...but Gone Girl just doesn't have a 'do..."

I had the same problem, which really bummed me out because everyone raved about it. I also guessed the ending and the twist before it happened, so that didn't help. Glad I read it but just goes to show everyone has different tastes. Haven't read any other Flynn books but I'm willing to give her one more shot.

message 16: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments Adriana wrote: "Ugh. I had a problem like that with a series I was reading. I love the main character but then when new characters were introduced they were were so passive it was ridiculous. It messed up the book..."

What series was this that you were reading?

message 17: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments Still reading Gone Girl...so as I was reading I figured out the book..and now that I am on page 339...I was correct. This book is predictable.

message 18: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments The ending was not what I expected at all, interested to hear what you think.

message 19: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments Kelsi wrote: "The ending was not what I expected at all, interested to hear what you think."

Do you mean the ending with Desi? That part I saw coming...as soon as Desi met with Amy and she agreed to live at his house...the pregnancy is the part I didn't see coming at the end with Nick. Did you like this book?

message 20: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments Finished Gone Girl. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

message 21: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments Yeah, the end with Nick got me. I just wanted something to happen to end how malicious Amy was. I really enjoyed the book. I think I read it in 3 days..couldnt put it down

message 22: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments Started reading One Summer by David Baldacci. I have never read any of his novels...but I have been told that his books are good so I thought One Summer sounded good... It definitely has a good story. One Summer by David Baldacci

message 23: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3964 comments One Summer intrigued me--I'd love to hear your thoughts once you've finished.

message 24: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments Reading Friends, Lovers , Chocolate by Alexander McCall Smith. I have never read any of his books before, and I definitely have missed out because this book has an interesting and mysterious story. The characters are likable.

message 25: by Debra (last edited Apr 03, 2013 06:06PM) (new)

Debra | 63 comments I have finished Friends, Lovers, Chocolate by Alexander McCall Smith. This is the very first of his books that I have read. I actually wanted to read the #1 Woman's Detective Agency, but my bookstore didn't have any of them in stock and so I bought this one instead. It was a good book, but I am not sure that I will read anymore in this series. However I am going to still read the first book of the #1 Woman's Detective Agency and see how that series is. Friends, Lovers, Chocolate (Sunday Philosophy Club, #2) by Alexander McCall Smith

message 26: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments Has anyone read The Forgotten Garden? What did you think of it? I am thinking about buying that book this week. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

message 27: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments Finished The Secret Garden. I really enjoyed this book...but I also love to garden.

message 28: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments Decided that my next book will be The Book Thief...and so far it is not disappointing. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

message 29: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments I wish I had more reading time...I have so many books I want to read...but just not enough time in my day.

message 30: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments I haven't joined in with any of the month group reads yet this year... but for May I am going to join in and read Cloud Atlas even though I am in the middle of The Book Thief.

message 31: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments I think we should make an exception and read 2 books for May...the second read being The Time Traveler's Wife.

message 32: by Debra (new)

Debra | 63 comments I joined the group read for May...for Cloud Atlas...but I didn't get the book read yet, but I will...summer always keeps me away from my favorite thing to do...reading. I am still reading The Book Thief.

message 33: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6296 comments Debra wrote: "I joined the group read for May...for Cloud Atlas...but I didn't get the book read yet, but I will...summer always keeps me away from my favorite thing to do...reading. I am still reading The Book ..."

I just started Cloud Atlas last weekend, so I'm right there with you! The discussion was actually helpful in understanding some of the odder bits of the beginning. Good luck!