THE Group for Authors! discussion

Writer's Circle > Newbie

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven Malone | 95 comments Let me ask you, importing from amazon to where?

message 2: by Tea (new)

Tea Cooper (teacooperauthor) | 2 comments The new book appears at the top of your list of books, but below collections if you have any with a NEW flag next to it until you open it. Hope that helps.

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven Malone | 95 comments The 'help' section for the 'author's program' has the following:

For a book to show up on your author profile, the name on the book must match your profile exactly. So a book listed with author John C. Smith won't show up on John Smith's profile.

If you are one of several authors with the same name, you may have one or more extra space(s) between your first and last name. They are only visible on edit pages, but any books imported to the database will need to be edited to add the additional space(s).

Post in the Goodreads Librarians group and a librarian will edit your book to match your profile.

message 4: by Steven (last edited Dec 29, 2012 03:30PM) (new)

Steven Malone | 95 comments P.S.

I guess you need to add the book to your page first. The instructions for that are:

1. To add a book to your shelves, find the book by searching for its title or author in the search bar in the header. Searching by ISBN or ASIN (for Kindle editions) works best when looking for a specific edition.

2. On the book's profile page, you will see a green "want to read" button underneath its cover image. Click "want to read" to quickly add the book to your "to-read" shelf, or hover over the books icon on the right side of the button to add it to one of your other exclusive shelves (like "read" or "currently-reading"). You can also rate the book using the stars beneath the button.

I had to change my goodreads name to my name as it appeared on the book.

message 5: by Steven (last edited Dec 29, 2012 06:12PM) (new)

Steven Malone | 95 comments I'm on amazon/kindle only and self published myself. You should have an account there if your book is in the draft stage or 'live' which means now selling.

Somewhere on the amazon page should be a 'sign in' tab where you will sign in with your email and password. Sign in and a page should show up called 'Kindle Direct Publishing' and have your title on it. There are several things you can do there including a tab for 'reports' that has your sales recorded. But there is a little box to check by your title.

If you check it then click then down arrow on the 'actions' tab a menu will appear that among other things will have a list called 'see book in Kindle store' and lists the countries where you book is being sold. Click the 'U.S.' and it will open your book page.

Of course that's if you can't get to it just by searching your name exactly as it appears on the book or the books title (in fact all books with a similar title may also appear)

Once you find your book on amazon you will see its link or 'short cut' in the little window up on the far left of the big window. For most things you can do a copy and paste from this window to get a short cut to your book. You can do something similar by right clicking on your cover page, click on copy of the panel that appears then do a paste at 'add book to your shelf' thingy at goodreads.

You might want to have a goodreads librarian to help you if I'm just confusing you. It was hard for me to do this very thing.

message 6: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Jan 03, 2013 07:22AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I am a goodreads librarian. Goodreads does not import data from amazon. So a goodreads member, librarian or author would have to manually add your book.

Nothing wrong with adding yourself; if you search for book by asin it should bring you to a not found page and at upper right a choice to manually add the book.

(amazon new rules prohibit any site with book pages that do not list amazon and amazon only in purchase links to subscribe to their data feed and they insisted previous data be yanked which is why goodreads has hundreds of thousands of "unknown author #####" entries for some of our books. Amazon "generously" did offer to those who complied and stayed subscribed to the data feed the option to have a link to another page to see more booksellers but the main book page had to show only them. Long story with thousands of posts in various goodreads groups.)

message 7: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Jan 03, 2013 04:56AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) It helps when requesting a librarian (over in librarians group) to add your book if you follow the suggested guidelines (book can be added with just title and author).

From http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8... -

"Suggested: create a new thread for each request with the title of the requested book as the subject. Back-and-forth posts can be confusing when many requests are in a single thread. Also, when a new request is added to an existing thread, it is less likely to be seen or responded to.

Please provide:
* Title
* Author(s) name(s)
* ISBN (or ASIN)
* Publisher
* Publication date
* Format
* Description
* Link to cover on a NON-BOOKSELLER site, such as a publisher site, an author site, etc. No Amazon, B&N, or other bookseller links can be used as sources for covers or other book data. "