Shut Up & Read discussion

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Beautiful Creatures
Archives > Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia - January

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri | 12180 comments Mod
Discuss as you read, but please use SPOILERS for those of us who haven't gotten as far as you!!! (Check out the 'some html is ok' box above the post box for spoiler tags.)

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

Brandy So excited! I have this book already on my desk in my January to read pile!

Doodle Bug (doodlebugsbookshelf) | 12 comments I finished this one just a couple of weeks ago. I am very interested to see how this discussion goes.

message 4: by Marguerite (new)

Marguerite I finished this as well. I loved it! It's got some real zingers in it.

Alejandra (Allie) (lost_at_hogwarts) I rated this book 2 out of 5 stars. I just didn't like it. I already read the second one in this series and let me say that if you enjoyed the first one then you will definitely enjoy the second one.

message 6: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri | 12180 comments Mod
I have the audio. I'm going to start listening to it tomorrow I think.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Kinda late start but i'm glad i have this on my shelf. Can't wait for the discussions.

Blue  HuRRiCaNe (bluehurricane) | 164 comments already finished this series couple weeks ago but i am interested in discussion

Chandni (chandnin31) I have to admit I was a fan of this book. There are so many YA paranormal romance books out there that are all about a weak female and a hot guy with supernatural powers, but I liked how this one was a powerful female and an ordinary guy. Also loved how the book was from Ethan's perspective. It was nice that they were more of a partnership than someone always rescuing the other.

Brandy Nacole (brandynacole) | 174 comments Chandni wrote: "I have to admit I was a fan of this book. There are so many YA paranormal romance books out there that are all about a weak female and a hot guy with supernatural powers, but I liked how this one w..."

I like that about this series as well. I haven't read too many books that were from the males point of view and definitely not one with a powerful female/ordinary human. I'm only a quarter of the ways through and I'm really liking it.

Brandy Nacole (brandynacole) | 174 comments I'm very intrigued by this story and can't wait to see what happens. I'm only a quarter of the way through it but I'm liking it. Only one problem I'm having. Is anyone else annoyed by the constant reminder of Gatlin being a small close town and Jackson being a bully school. I don't know how many times I have read the line, "..not in Gatlin." or "...not at Jackson.." I don't think it hurts the plot of the story but it seems, I don't know, very repetitive?

MaryAnn (mapally) I have this book already and I've been looking forward to reading it. So now I need to catch up! :)

Grace Chandni wrote: "There are so many YA paranormal romance books out there that are all about a weak female and a hot guy with supernatural powers, but I liked how this one w..."

Totally agree! I liked the change where you got to read from the ordinary guy's point of view.

Grace I read this one last month. I read it in like 2 or 3 days because I was so hooked. When I was done with it I thought that it was a fun ride but nothing fantastic. It seemed like there was a lot of waiting until something exciting happened. I think it might be a better movie than book if they do it right. I think Macon was my fav character. I might read the next book in the series to see where they can possibly go from here.

Alessa Castillo (alessa-chan) | 14 comments I read this the last year!... i'm finished Beautiful Redemption now! i'm really hoping the Discussion :D

message 16: by Ikao (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ikao (ikaoduck) I think I'm going to buy this books :)

message 17: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (dollyames) | 23 comments I have this on my TBR pile; guess its a good time to get started!

message 18: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin Latimer Chandni wrote: "I have to admit I was a fan of this book. There are so many YA paranormal romance books out there that are all about a weak female and a hot guy with supernatural powers, but I liked how this one w..."

Oh! Me too! Okay, I might have to buy the book now. I'm so tired of wet noodle girl protagonists that constantly need saving!

Chandni (chandnin31) Erin wrote: "Chandni wrote: "I have to admit I was a fan of this book. There are so many YA paranormal romance books out there that are all about a weak female and a hot guy with supernatural powers, but I like..."

I know. It's my biggest complaint with YA paranormal books. After Twilight it seems that female teenage protagonists forgot how to be independent and even mildly capable or intelligent. Don't get me wrong, this book has its flaws too but it's better.

Summer (gudetamas) I had mixed feelings about this book. Props go to the authors' originality and for bringing something different to this genre. However, the book was so long and the plot so boring. Lena annoyed me alot. But Beautiful Darkness is a bit better, so if you enjoyed this book, you will most likely love the next book.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

This book bored me too death, it was just too long with not enough of a storyline to support it!

Heather Bowhay | 32 comments I have to agree with Charlotte....Yawn! I had the hardest time reading this book, while the premise was good...the pace was slow, action almost non-existent, and the ending lackluster. Rarely do I not find positive things to say about a book....Wow! It hurts to be so negative, especially since so many others liked it. Maybe this time I will enjoy the movie more than the book.

Alessa Castillo (alessa-chan) | 14 comments OHHHHH! I love this book soo much! this saga is awesome, one of my favorites!!!! need this discution!

message 24: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (dreamocracy) | 23 comments Just started reading it after seeing a commercial for the upcoming movie. I didn't know it was a book, but it looked like it would be, so I looked it up, hehe. :)

message 25: by Deeann (new) - added it

Deeann (forevereader61) | 50 comments I just picked up this book today to begin reading it ..... The movie looks good......man I hope the book is good because I always finish the books I start and I have too many books on my TBR list to have to force myself to finish a long boring book!

Stephanie I read this book about a year or two ago and I remember really liking it. I liked it being set in the South and especially Ethan! I never got around to reading the rest of books in the series, but always wanted to. So since the movie is soon to showing I figured I'd re-read and start on the rest of the series. Hope its as good as I remember.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I have this on my tbr shelf and haven't read it yet I will start it soon.

Cecilia Moyano (cecimp) | 4 comments I really liked this book!! One of my favourites!! Im looking forjare to reading Beautiful Redemption, but It still hasnt arrived to my country.

Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~ (03tammy-lynn) | 1350 comments I just started this book, it already has my attention. :)

Brandy Nacole (brandynacole) | 174 comments Anyone have a favorite scene? I'm halfway done and so far my favorite parts include Amma.

message 31: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (myzelch) | 101 comments Oddly enough, when they go the the dance and Ridley crashes it! I just feel so bad for what happens to Lena!!!!

message 32: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin Latimer I LOVE this book so far! It's just so spooky and I can see it all unfolding in my head! Anyone going to see the movie on valentines day?

Alessa Castillo (alessa-chan) | 14 comments YAYYYYYY! Me this is one of my fav sagas can't wait for the movie! *_*

Rachel (bowiebunny) | 23 comments I've been meaning to read this series for awhile. Then I saw the movie trailer and it looked so good.
I'm half way through it and while it is a bit slow moving, I do like it. I agree with what others said about the point of view. It is really refreshing to see a love story play out through the guy's perspective. I like how the magic is used subtly, like the in background and not in your face. I also like that both the boy and girl are strong individuals. They are both equals and participate in the plot, I think more so than in some other love stories that I've read, where one character is more dominant than the other.
I also enjoy the side characters, especially Amma and Macon. Sometimes side characters can fall flat and then come out of nowhere to be very important, but these side characters are well-developed and frequently steal scenes.
Incidentally, I am listening to the audiobook and it is a very interesting listen for those that enjoy reading in this format. The production is great and the narrator speaks in Southern accents which really immerses you in the story.
I am interested in what's going to happen on Lena's birthday... The movie should be awesome.

message 35: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin Latimer I agree that it starts out slow, but I found myself still hooked because of how visual the descriptions were. And I love how murky and gothic the settings are!

Brandy I'm hoping to finally start this one late tonight when I finish my current read. All the movie previews have me really wanting to get in and get to it!

Brandy Nacole (brandynacole) | 174 comments So ready for the movie!
Besides Ethan, any favorite characters? I love Amma, she's so awesome :)

message 38: by Duks (new) - rated it 4 stars

Duks (cnduks_) | 1836 comments Kind of sad Marion is not in the movie. I like her!

message 39: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin Latimer Brandy wrote: "So ready for the movie!
Besides Ethan, any favorite characters? I love Amma, she's so awesome :)"

I'm only halfway through, but I love Boo. I guess he's still a character even though he's a dog, lol. (I'm guessing there is more to him, got my theories, lol)

message 40: by Brie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brie (brielikestoread) Brandy wrote: "So ready for the movie!

I love Amma to!

She was my favorite supporting character. I can't wait to see how she's betrayed

Brandy I just finished reading it and I wasn't as thrilled by it as I hoped. I felt like the build up was really long to a kind of meh moment at the end. It was a good quick read though just not as good as I hoped.

Brandy Nacole (brandynacole) | 174 comments Erin wrote: "Brandy wrote: "So ready for the movie!

I'm only halfway through, but I love Boo. I guess he's still a character even th..."

Dogs are definitely characters. I've read plenty of books where an animal was an important part of a book. Hey who are we without our friendlies :)

Brandy Nacole (brandynacole) | 174 comments Brie wrote: "Brandy wrote: "So ready for the movie!
I love Amma to!

She was my favorite supporting character. I can't wait to see ..."

Me either. I hope it isn't a disappointment like some roles I have seen where they portray the supporting characters all wrong. If they mess up Amma it just won't be right!

message 44: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin Latimer I think she'll be good! I like the actress that's playing her!

Camilla | 1 comments I was so excited for this book but I'm about half way and I'm so boredddd....:|

message 46: by Duks (new) - rated it 4 stars

Duks (cnduks_) | 1836 comments It's very detailed that's why it tends to get boring at some times, but it's great.

Stephanie Brandy wrote: "Anyone have a favorite scene? I'm halfway done and so far my favorite parts include Amma."

I love Amma!! Shes so fierce and I love what she brought to the story.

Stephanie So I re-read this and it was as good as I remember! I can't believe I forgot how much I liked Ethan. I don't know if I would of liked this story as much if it was told from Lena's POV. Maybe I'm a sucker for guys, but Ethan definitely held my interest. Can't wait to start book 2.

Trying to talk the boyfriend in going to watch on V-Day, anyone else going opening day??

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 247 comments I managed to get it at a lower price at the book store today... Will try to read it soon.

Brandy Nacole (brandynacole) | 174 comments Stephanie wrote: "So I re-read this and it was as good as I remember! I can't believe I forgot how much I liked Ethan. I don't know if I would of liked this story as much if it was told from Lena's POV. Maybe I'm a ..."

YES!!! I told my husband he could spend V-Day with me going to watch this movie or sit at home alone with the kiddos. Needless to say dinner/movie is our V-Day evening plan :)

« previous 1