Book-a-holics discussion

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
This topic is about City of Bones
1/13 - City of Bones > Chapters 11-15 - City of Bones

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Katie Gianelli (katie094) | 236 comments Mod
** Discussion questions for this section will be posted on January 12 **

message 3: by Katie (last edited Jan 15, 2013 06:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Summary

Isabel ends up having an invitation to a party at Magnus Bane's house. Clary kills time until midnight when the party starts by wandering around the Institute. She goes into the library and finds a photo of The Circle when they were younger, Hodge finds her and tells her all about the old days. He gives her a sleeping potion to help her sleep and when she goes back to her room she finds Jace in her bed. Since she drops the potion, Jace tells her a bedtime story about his abusive father and his pet falcon. When she wakes up, she heads to Isabel's room to get ready for the party. While talking with her, Clary realizes that Alec is gay and in love with Jace.
The arrive at Magnus's house and follow him up the stairs to his room. Jace and Clary go alone because Simon and Isabel are seen grinding on the dancefloor. Jace asks Magnus about the block in Clary's mind but they are interupted by a vampire complaining about his bike not working. Once he leaves, Magnus discloses that he put the block on Clary's mind but only because Jocelyn told him to.
He reveals that he has been blocking her Sight every two years since she was two. Her mother hadn't wanted her exposed to anything relating to the Shadowhunters. He also tells her he can't reverse the spell because it could result in brain damage. He does, however, teach her some runes. While she's learning, Isabel comes back and reveals that Simon has been turned into a rat by some magic potion and that she can't find him. Clary finds him under the bar and keeps him in one of her jacket pockets. Just as she is leaving, she finds that he has been ripped from her pockets and is missing, she runs back up to Magnus and asks if he's seen him. He reveals that he saw some vampires leave with a brown rat and after much persuation, told them where thier lair is. They head to a Catholic church to grab some weapons
Jace uses his stele to extract the weapons while talking to Clary about their beliefs in God, or a lack thereof. They head to Hotel Dumont to rescue Simon. A boy named Raphael interrupts them while they are searching for the entrance and warns them not to go inside and says that his brother died while inside the hotel. He ends up following them inside and Jace throws his knife at him, revealing that he is a vampire as well. Suddenly, dozens more vampires surround them and only agree to release Simon if Jace swears not to hurt Rapheal, their leader. Clary ends up snatching Simon from their hands and running. Just as they reach a dead end, a pack of werewolves come barging in.
Jace explains to Clary that they're about to be involved in an all out war since werewolves invaded the vampire's lair. One of the wolfs jumps at Clary but she through Jace's dagger into it's side to ward it off. They run and Jace steals one of the vampire's flying motarbikes to make a getaway. When the sun starts to rise, the demon energy diminishes and the bike crashes. As Clary gets up after the fall, she realizes that Simon is back to normal.

message 4: by Katie (last edited Jan 15, 2013 07:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Discussion Questions

1. Would you like to have Clary's sight?

2. Do you think it's possible for someone to be a Shadowhunter but not believe in God?

3. Why do you think Clary's mother wanted her mind blocked?

Reserved just in case ;)

Kayla (kaylawrites89) 1. I think it'd be pretty cool. I mean, knowing that there were others out there that were like me would make it a lot better and I wouldn't feel like a nut case. haha, but I think it'd be cool and to be part of that world *pulls an Ariel the Little Mermaid, singing and all* ANYWAYS, yeah, Clary sight, epic!

2. I do think it's possible. I mean, born of human and angel, half angel and able to see things that are or could be evil, God could be a myth too. Angels, though known as the messengers and what not of God are not fully good beings. They've been known in history to scare religion into people or do not so pretty things. (Watch Legion... it's kinda like that)But I think even if you were born of Angel and Human and your life was just that bad that you have all these doubts about God, then yes, it's possible to be a Shadowhunter and not believe in him.

3. I think Clary's mom wanted to protect her daughter. She clearly wants absolutely nothing to do with the Shadowhunter world and doesn't want her daughter part of it either. But bad things happen and now we have Clary starting to get her abilities and she's just kind of thrown into this new world of vampires, werewolves, demons, warlocks and meant to understand it all without question since everyone else seems to be wondering why she doesn't know.

I kind of agree with you on the third question but then something kind of makes me disagree. I think while she was young, protecting her daughter from that sort of world would be her only choice but as she got older, doens't Clary have the freedom to make her own decisions? And if Jocelyn wanted her sight taken away so badly, why did she miss her two year appointment with Magnus?

Kayla (kaylawrites89) I think that becomes apparent. Why she missed the appointment... With you know who kinda popping up out of no where and all that.

Makes sense =)

Kayla (kaylawrites89) (my discreet way of not giving things away.)

;) I like it

Becky (rrrjtl) | 81 comments 1. I think it would be interesting to have Clary's sight. Though if I were Clary's age when I got it, it would probably scare the heck out of me at first!

2. I don't believe you need to believe in God to be a Shadowhunter. You don't have to believe in God to want to protect the world from those who would harm innocent people. You just have to be a good person. Regardless of beliefs, the world is full of good people :)

3. Like Kayla, I think Clary's mom was simply trying to protect her from what she felt was a dangerous life. As a mom, I can relate to that. We want to protect our children from the dangerous things we've seen and experienced. Unfortunately we also know that we can't protect them from everything. I'm sure had circumstances not happened, she probably would have continued to block her mind. My question is, what would she have done when Clary was grown and living her own life?

Kayla (kaylawrites89) Good question. How would she have protected Clary when she was living her own life and possibly in college. How would she keep that mind protection on Clary unless she like has him do it while she's sleeping and she's unaware of it. But then when she moves out, mom isn't exactly going to have a key to her home is she?

Becky (rrrjtl) | 81 comments Lol...probably not. And she couldn't very well keep her from moving out without a heck of a good reason. So at some point it would have had to have come out. Makes one wonder, that's for sure!