Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Short-Straw Bride (Archer Brothers, #1)
This topic is about Short-Straw Bride
Archived Group Reads 2013 > January Main Read - Short-Straw Bride

Comments Showing 1-50 of 103 (103 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
YES! So excited to read this one :) Totally picked up it up while it was free on Kindle.

Phyllis | 15 comments Great. I just got this one for free on my Nook a day or 2 ago.

message 3: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loraine (librarydiva) | 2654 comments Mod
Just grabbed this one on my Kindle. You just helped me decide which book I will be reading next on my kindle.

message 4: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Loraine, I said the same thing :) I started it this morning while at the gym (I read on the elliptical machine, hehe). I really like it so far!

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 23 comments Great! I can read this one for the third or fourth time!

Maria Claudia (mclaudiacbv) | 97 comments I am really excited to read it.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen Yay! I had already downloaded that one.

message 8: by Kellie (new) - added it

Kellie Just requested it from my library. I'll be able to start reading in a few days!

message 9: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
I'm in the middle of it, and I'm loving it!

Krista Phillips (kristaphillips) | 1 comments I'm am a HUGE Karen W fan so read this one a while back when it first came out and LOVED it!

If you haven't read her first 3 novels as well, I HIGHLY recommend them!

Morgan- Nothing Better Than a Book I love every one of Karen's books, and this one was no exception!! Love it!!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to read this one. Hope my library owns it.

Maria Claudia (mclaudiacbv) | 97 comments Krista, which books karen w wrote? You said they are good. Tell me.

Susan F | 4 comments Yay, I downloaded it recently and haven't started it yet.

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen I started it today and am already 1/3 of the way through. I'm lovin' it!

message 16: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 707 comments Mod
Oh man, I have a few books ahead of this one, but I hope that I can get to it soon:) those that are reading it seem to be loving it!

message 17: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 23 comments And I've finished it again. :D

message 18: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
I finished it! It was great!! Can't wait to discuss :)

message 19: by Beth, Head Librarian (last edited Jan 02, 2013 05:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Maria wrote: "Krista, which books karen w wrote? You said they are good. Tell me."

Maria, she has four books out and another one soon to be released:

A Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer Head in the Clouds by Karen Witemeyer To Win Her Heart by Karen Witemeyer Stealing the Preacher by Karen Witemeyer

The last one shown is the upcoming title :)

message 20: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Cheryl wrote: "Oh man, I have a few books ahead of this one, but I hope that I can get to it soon:) those that are reading it seem to be loving it!"

I hope you can get to it!

Melissa (princessmg) | 7 comments I'd planned to read all Karen's books when her new one releases, but I think I'll bump up the ones already out and try to read them this month, so I can read the group read-I can't read them out of order, it would drive me nuts.LOL! =)

message 22: by Aerykah (last edited Jan 02, 2013 06:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aerykah | 13 comments I have read all of Karen's books & really look forward to reading her new one! She's a great author! :)
I got Short-Straw Bride free on amazon & have started re-reading it. It's just as good the second time around! ;)

message 23: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Melissa wrote: "I'd planned to read all Karen's books when her new one releases, but I think I'll bump up the ones already out and try to read them this month, so I can read the group read-I can't read them out of..."

Melissa, at least they aren't a series or anything! But honestly, when I can I read books by one author in the order they were published too, hehe.

Carole Jarvis | 41 comments Melissa, the books of Karen's that are already out aren't in a series. However, her 2013 release, Stealing the Preacher, follows up with a character in The Short-Straw Bride.

When it comes to a series, I'm almost neurotic about reading in order!

Priscilla | 1 comments I am currently reading this, really good so far

message 26: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Carole wrote: "Melissa, the books of Karen's that are already out aren't in a series. However, her 2013 release, Stealing the Preacher, follows up with a character in The Short-Straw Bride.

When it comes to a s..."

Ooo, Carole, I didn't know that! It's gotta be Crockett! :)

Barbara | 6 comments I just finished The Short-Straw Bride, and I really enjoyed it. I would be interested to know who everyone's favorite character was. It's hard to choose, but I think my favorite is Travis.

message 28: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Barbara, I thought Travis was such a good hero! :) He was protective and stubborn but still sweet. Meredith was a great character too. It is a hard choice!

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen I finished it up today too. My favorite character was Meredith. I thought she showed a lot of wisdom and strength of character. I'd love to have her as a best friend.

message 30: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 23 comments My favorite character is Crockett. I loved him!

Barbara | 6 comments Beth wrote: "Barbara, I thought Travis was such a good hero! :) He was protective and stubborn but still sweet. Meredith was a great character too. It is a hard choice!"

I agree. Meredith would probably be my second choice. :)

message 32: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Dawn wrote: "My favorite character is Crockett. I loved him!"

Crockett was great too! Stealing the Preacher is actually about him :)

message 33: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 23 comments Beth wrote: "Dawn wrote: "My favorite character is Crockett. I loved him!"

Crockett was great too! Stealing the Preacher is actually about him :)"

I know! I;m so excited about it!

Melissa (princessmg) | 7 comments I went ahead and started A Tailor Made Bride last night-I'm about halfway through and and I'm loving it! It's such a cute story and I love the humor! Can't wait to read the other books! :)

Laura (laurajacksonauthor) | 2 comments I'm glad to know there's a book about Crockett because I really liked him!

Robbie  (robbyefaye) | 3 comments I got this book free for a review and really enjoyed it, too. Karen has a cute trailer for the book on her website, if anyone is interested.
I didn't know there was a book about Crockett, I'll have to get it to read soon.

Robbie  (robbyefaye) | 3 comments Melissa, I read A Tailor Made Bride. I, too, loved the humor. It was a fun book to read!

message 38: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Stealing the Preacher will release in June :)

message 39: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz (afunnygirl72) I haven't read anything by this author yet, so I guess I will give her a try. I was able to grab the free Kindle copy a couple weeks ago. My reading has been sporadic at best the last few months. Let's see if I can get this one read.

message 40: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Liz wrote: "I haven't read anything by this author yet, so I guess I will give her a try. I was able to grab the free Kindle copy a couple weeks ago. My reading has been sporadic at best the last few months. L..."

Give it a try, Liz! It is a really fun read and pretty quick too. I think I read it in a day and a half.

Julianna  | 15 comments I really enjoyed this book so much and I really liked hanging out with Meredith and Travis what really inspired me is how Meredith helped Travis not to be so self contained. It taught me when you block out everyone you miss out on meeting some great people and you miss out on reaching out to others when they might need you!!!

Melissa (princessmg) | 7 comments Finished "Head in the Clouds" (loved it!), now on to "To Win Her Heart" and then "Short Straw Bride" =)

Maria Claudia (mclaudiacbv) | 97 comments Meredith is a great character. Love her. But when will we stArt to talk about the books? I have things to say...

Rachel Brand I read this book back when it first released during the summer and absolutely loved it! It ties for first place with Head in the Clouds as my favourite Karen Witemeyer novel.

message 45: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 23 comments Let me ask this.

SPOILER (in case some of you haven't finished it or gotten to that part) ALERT

What do you think of Cassie and Jim as a couple?

Melissa (princessmg) | 7 comments Started Short Straw Bride this morning. Love it, Can't wait to see how it ends!

message 47: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2219 comments Mod
Dawn wrote: "Let me ask this.

What do you think of Cassie and Jim as a couple?"

*****Possible spoilers*******

Dawn, it was sweet but it almost felt a little too close to "insta-love" for my taste. I do like the idea of them as a couple. Maybe there were some conversations that were behind the scenes.

message 48: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 23 comments Beth wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Let me ask this.

*****Possible spoilers*******

Daw..."

*****Possible spoilers****

I agree! I thought that it was too quick. But maybe we'll get to see a courtship between them.

Barbara | 6 comments Dawn wrote: "Beth wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Let me ask this.

*****Possible spoiler..."

I agree with both of you. I thought the same thing.

Maria Claudia (mclaudiacbv) | 97 comments Yes, too quick to my taste...

« previous 1 3