The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 38 comments I believe it's safe to say that we all love to buy books, and we can't seem to help ourselves even if we don't know where to put the books once we have brought them home. How do you solve this problem, do you give them away, sell them..or are you like me and like to hold on to them for as long as possible because I hate to get rid of books and if so how do you have enough room! Just wondering on how everyone stores there books, obviously book cases are a must but unfortunatly we don't live in libraries, and we don't have endless amounts of room for book cases :]

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Mine are stacked three deep on the bookshelves. There is a huge stack beside the bookshelves, plus a couple of boxes with books in them. I've taken some I know I'll never ever read again and put them in a pile to take to the used bookstore, but that only means I'll be exchanging them for others. I imagine that one day I'll have to put some in storage.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I keep mine in boxes. I have nothing but boxes in the closet filled with books.

message 4: by Sera (new)

Sera All of my books are in shelves throughout the house. Like you, Sarah, I recently sold 50 books to a used book store, but then took the store credit and ended up buying a bunch more. I went back to school again and recently finished. I kept all of my textbooks from that stint, which means that I have one full shelve of textbooks in my home office, too. Hey, you never know when I may need to look something up about economics - haha.

message 5: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wenzday01) | 17 comments I used to keep all of them, but then a couple of years ago, I started selling some of them on half.com and amazon.com. Then I would donatedmost of the ones I couldn't sell within a year to the local public library. And lately I've been swapping books on paperbackswap.com. So altogether, I've only read about a quarter of the books on my shelf because I've been unloading the ones I read and didn't feel like I had to own.

message 6: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Oy. I tried to put most of mine out on bookshelves, but I don't have enough shelves! Unfortunately when they are in boxes they don't get read so I don't like to keep them there.

I've donated ones I don't read or "fluff" books to libraries and book swaps, but I've found that down the road I'll be like "oh, I want to read such and such book" and found I gave it away. So then I have to choose whether or not to buy it again. So unless I know I absolutely hated the book or it's a copy that is well used and I wouldn't mind buying it again, I keep them in boxes.

message 7: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments bookshelves, often 2 or 3 rows deep, though I really hate doing that - not being able to see all the titles - so every month or so a box of books gets taken to the library's free book pile. I could probably make a killing on ebay but am nowhere near organized enough.

There are a few books I've regretted getting rid of, but usually I'm pretty cautious about what I choose to part with. I really need to use my library more. that or read more books electronically, and only buy the ones I really love.

message 8: by Steven (new)

Steven | 5 comments I store my books on a specific bookshelf that I ask the rest of the family not to touch. Occasionally I need to create more space and get rid of some, but I try to be absolutely sure that that is what I want to do.

I have thrown a couple away in the past and later regretted it. I've also lent books to people and forgotton whom I lent them to.

Still, I store my favourite books like family heirlooms.

Cheers

Steven Preece
Author of
Always A Marine

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments I am a bit of a sentimental pack rat. I rarely get rid of books but if I do it's at a paperback book exchange and I trade in for books to use in my classroom. I have started somewhat of a Rory Gilmore system keeping certain books in dresser drawers. I do the same with cds. My other books are on various shelves based on category. LM Montgomery collection is on the shelving of my clothing dresser. I have my Jackie Kennedy and Princess Diana collection "artisticly" stacked on a book shelf. On the lower shelf is reguarly library shelved Christian/religion books. I have my young adult/kiddlie lit library shelved on another bookcase with nonfiction books on a shelf below those. For the books that come in sets I keep those on a separate book case with knicknacks to decorate. Then there are the millions of books to read and that I am in process with. I purchased a separate decorative basket to keep these in next to my bed so that I can grab whichever genre I am in the mood for. Like Rory I take multiple books along whenever I travel because sometimes you are in the mood for biographical and sometimes poetry but then it might need to be Harry Potter. My system might seem strange but it works for me and my one bedroom.

message 10: by Arielle (new)

Arielle | 120 comments Megan, I love your bedside basket idea! I've never done that, but it would work great.
We have lots of luggage for our yearly family trips to Montana, so I fill them with books the rest of the year, then empty it out and either create a gigantic frightening mess to be dealt with later or take them to a library or used bookstore. I've also started using Paperbackswap.com and it's pretty great. But those are the fluff, one time reads. The ones I actually want to keep are laying horizontally on some bookshelves, because I think you can fit more that way. And there is one suitcase in my closet that's devoted to keepers that I only get the urge to read every few years.

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary | 29 comments I used to feel the need to keep every book I ever bought. About 4 years ago I participated in a residency with a guru in the field of early literacy, Regie Routman. She showed us her reading log, which went back several years. Her suggestion was to have our students keep a notebook where they listed the titles, authors and genres of the books they read, and that we as teachers do the same. I went out and bought a cute little notebook with a fish on the front at the dollar store, wrote October 2003 at the top of the first page, and I've been keeping track of the books I read ever since. This is a great tool for several reasons. It helps me to have a more balanced literary diet- I can make sure that I'm reading a professional book each month, as well as some fiction and maybe something in a genre I'm not as familiar with. It's also just a great keepsake. I love looking back and seeing what I was reading when my son was born or when I was on a particular vacation or whatever. I also use it to make notes about my book club books and who attended the meeting, which sparks really great memories. When Carnival lost my suitcase last summer, the only thing I was heart-broken about losing was my reading log. I was overjoyed when UPS showed up at my door with the lost bag and my little fish notebook was returned to me. AND- I don't feel the need to keep many books any more because I know I won't forget about them. I only keep the ones that are precious to me. I started a reading log for my son when he was born so that he'll have a list of every book he's ever read. Keeping track of books in a notebook and on GoodReads might seem a little redundant, but there's nothing like having that handwritten, coffee stained, real life record of my literary life.

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 38 comments That is a wonderful idea, I have tried keeping a written log of all books I have read. I was slacking in keeping with the log consistently. I never wrote the genre but you have inspired me to start back up again! Thanks :]

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) That's why I love Goodreads.com. I can keep track on here and don't have to store a notebook in addition to all my books!

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 38 comments I know what you mean, this website is great for organization.

message 15: by Erica (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments I have shelves, armoires, piles all over the house, and boxes! I try not to keep them in boxes, cause they just aren't pretty and I never feel like sifting through them. I have started in the past year giving some away and selling some, but like another post-er here, I end up getting store credit and buying more. But my process for deciding on what to get rid of is simple, if I just didn't like it that much, or if after having it for a while, when I am bored and looking for something to read, if I keep picking it up and then saying 'nah' and picking something else, it is time to make space for something that I might like to reread more! I am a complete rereader. So if I don't want to reread it, its gotta go!

message 16: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Hey Erica. I'm up late, too. My dad made me a bookshelf for my first post-college apartment with friends, and I hold onto as many books as it will hold. If it's spilling over, I have to get rid of some :(. I like to share, too. It makes me feel like I get more for my money.

message 17: by Erica (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments I have 3 bookshelves that are supposed to be for my dad, from my sister, but I have hijacked them! One of my dream qualities of my dream house (one day...) is that I have a whole huge wall like in the den or something, with built in bookshelves. Ah, what a sweet world that would be, I would never go out!! I don't look forward to moving (I am crashing at my sister's place while she is overseas) because I can't take her huge armoire with me, it holds SO MANY books and dvds! Sniff...

message 18: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments I have bookshelves full of books (far too many bookshelves) and I also have a lot of books in boxes in storages. I collect rare first editions and I store those in safe place (aka a safe deposit type of place...coughcoughDONTYOUSTEALTHEMcoughcough) if they're really valuable etc.

I also have this awful habit of stacking books, everywhere. Magazines too. I go to the book store for one book and I walk out with five, then stack them on my coffee table, kitchen counter, game table, on the floor next to my nightstand, anywhere and everywhere. It's awful! There's always books, everywhere. However I have noticed that once I read them, I put them on the shelf unless I really really loved them and then I keep them out on the table or somewhere I can see them a lot because it makes me smile when I remember how much I enjoyed it.

Wow, I sound crazy!

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments Have any of you ever read the children's picture book The Library by Sarah Stewart? I think you could all relate to this book.

message 20: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
I am a minimalist when it comes to possessions EXCEPT when it comes to books. It is a really, REALLY rare thing for me to get rid of a book – I even sent them home when I lived in Europe! I love my books. I dream of having a place where they have a room of their own. A traditional library would be cool, but just a room where I can have all my books around me... and at least one comfy chair, then I'd be very happy indeed.

How I have my books shelved now... when living back with my folks as an adult... is that I've converted my closet into shelves. All books, except the very top shelf is for my DVDs. I now store my clothes in a tiny armoire - and I'm a girl! I guess I just exposed my priorities! LOL I do have about two-thirds of my books in storage, sadly. But what can I do without my own space?

As far as how I stack them, I'm a little weird. I'm first by size, then by color. I do the color thing with my DVDs, too, and drive my brother nuts when he comes over to borrow something or other (he's not a reader). I used to store my already-read separately from my yet-to-read, but my space is just too tight right now. Also, I love order, so clutter in my room is like clutter in my spirit. I don’t function well with it.

By the way, every time I come home with new books, it’s like this big challenge to figure a way to make them work into my size shelving system… which is made even more silly when you consider they are packed in tight as it is.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) OK, I have my clothes arranged by size (short sleeve, long sleeve, etc) and color, but not my books! It's too hard to find anything that way! I have mine arranged by genre. But it's a mess right now. I've recently bought so many new ones that I haven't reorganized in a while.

message 22: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

I will say, though, that now that I have goodreads, I just gave away a collection of my books (though I'm still struggling with it a little). Being someone who wants to live their life on the road, I am really good at keeping my possessions to an extreme minimum... but I really, really love my books. I'm going to try to pare down, but I keep thinking... it's my only thing I really stockpile and cherish... must I really do this? It's my inner struggle. LOL

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Michele, if you plan to travel a lot, maybe the Kindle is a good investment for you. Although I think Meghan said it only works in the US. But maybe after it's out for a while they'll figure out a way to get it to work internationally.

message 24: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

I just don't like reading that way... I like to turn a page, see my progress, go back to underlined portions... like that. And as I said before, my books are my trophies. I think it's a great idea, but I'd rather get free international shipping with each book I buy... that way I could just send it on home! LOL