Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Getting to Know You > Reading Goals for 2013?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12845 comments Share your personal reading goals for the upcoming year.

My goals:
*Read at least 200 books, with 100 being set in countries outside of US
*Read a book for each US state
*Read at least 50 books from the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list
*Read more of the classics
*Read 5-10 really long books

message 2: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments My goals:

*Making a tour of India with a book for every region (28).
*Reading as many books as possible with or about cats.
*Continue my "frequent flyer" turning it into a "circumnavigator".
*Start reading about China, above all the historical events.
*In general, read more books in English or in the original language!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

dely wrote: "My goals:
*Reading as many books as possible with or about cats."

What a great goal! There are so many books about dogs, and not nearly enough about cats. I highly recommend Waiting for Gertrude: A Graveyard Gothic. It's one of my favorites.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 01, 2013 06:42PM) (new)

My reading goals for 2013...

* Read at least 100 books.
* Explore many genres, particularly those I usually avoid.
* Read a book set in each of the coastal states (I'm a water baby!)
* Reading tour of the United Kingdom.

message 5: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Tina wrote: "dely wrote: "My goals:

What a great goal! There are so many books about dogs, and not nearly enough about cats. I highly recommend Waiting f..."

Thanks, will look for it!

message 6: by Shriya (new)

Shriya | 13 comments dely wrote: "My goals:

*Making a tour of India with a book for every region (28).
*Reading as many books as possible with or about cats.
*Continue my "frequent flyer" turning it into a "circumnavigator".
*Sta..."

Hi
You should read a Street cat named Bob and if you love history, the Modern Shaping of Gujarat would be great for you.

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 195 comments My reading goals for 2013 include:

*Read at least 120 books
*Catch up on some of the series I've been neglecting!
*Read a book set in each of the 50 US states, plus Washington DC
*Read as many books as possible from countries I did not visit last year
*Make a dent in the I-bought-it-but-haven't-read-it-yet pile
*Read more classics--1 a month?
*Find books to fit multiple goals! ;-)

Happy reading, everyone!

message 8: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 195 comments Courtney wrote: "My reading goals for 2013 include:

*Read at least 120 books
*Catch up on some of the series I've been neglecting!
*Read a book set in each of the 50 US states, plus Washington DC
*Read as many bo..."

I almost forgot!

*Participate in the Group Reads Discussions! :-)

message 9: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Shriya wrote: "Hi
You should read a Street cat named Bob and if you love history, the Modern Shaping of Gujarat would be great for you. "

Thanks, added both to my wishlist.

message 10: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Read a hundred books hopefully Goodread award books for the most part. I know I will get side tracked and add new books to that tbr pile and there will be new ones that simply "MUST" be read right away.
i.e. I just won 12 audio books from Random House that I must put high on the list. :)

message 11: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12845 comments Tina wrote: "dely wrote: "My goals:

What a great goal! There are so many books about dogs, and not nearly enough about cats. I highly recommend Waiting f..."

I so agree. Cats rock!

message 12: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Adam wrote: "Another cat fan here.

If you like poetry, may I recommend TS Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. Andrew Lloyd Webber took all of the lyrics for the musical Cats from this.

It's lovely an..."

Wow, a lot of recommendations! :D
I don't read poetry but I can give it a try.

message 13: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12845 comments Adam wrote: "Another cat fan here.

If you like poetry, may I recommend TS Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. Andrew Lloyd Webber took all of the lyrics for the musical Cats from this.

It's lovely an..."

Wow, I never knew that!

message 14: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 101 comments 1. Read at least 50 books (should be no problem, but I lowered it from last year because I'm working full-time now).
2. At least 10 "dusty" books
3. Don't buy new books until I've gotten rid of at least ten old ones already on my shelf.
4. Read all of Jane Austen's novels (and watch all existing film versions)
5. Read ten books written by authors not from the U.S. or England (although others from U.K. will qualify)
6. Read twelve classics.

Of course, I'll see how many of these will overlap!

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 662 comments My goal this year is to read 12 books from 12 different countries plus 12 books from 12 different U.S. states in addition to 18 books published in 2012 plus Great Expectations, Les Miserables, Anna Karenina, and Wuthering Heights for my classics this year. Also want to read The Dark Tower series to book 4.5 - will finish the rest next year, Divergent and Insurgent and a few more easy reads for fun. We will see. This is enough for me.

message 16: by Sovotchka (last edited Apr 23, 2013 04:59AM) (new)

Sovotchka | 40 comments I haven't read a lot of books in the beginning of the year, so I haven't joined many year-long challenges. But my personal goals are:
- to finish my roadtrip around the US (I have currently visited 10 states)
- to do the Mediterranean cruise
- to read a bit around Europe (no real goals there)
- to read at least 15 books shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize to broaden my horizon :)

I also have a buying regulation like Alana. I can't buy new books unless I have read all that I bought the last time. And I can only buy books in the first five days of a new month :).

message 17: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 101 comments Lol, SilverRaindrops, I like the way you get around that by only certain days of the month :)

message 18: by Sovotchka (last edited Apr 23, 2013 06:11AM) (new)

Sovotchka | 40 comments Alana wrote: "Lol, SilverRaindrops, I like the way you get around that by only certain days of the month :)"

I figured it is a good way to avoid spontaneous bookshelf explosions, which I have had a lot in past years. ;)

message 19: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Adam wrote: "Another cat fan here.

It's lovely an..."

LibriVox has a nice selection of TS Eliot available

https://catalog.librivox.org/search.p...

message 20: by Lynn G. (new)

Lynn G. My goals:
To read 45 books (my reading has to compete with my quilting)
Be open to genres I would usually avoid
Read books set outside of the U.S.
To not pay full price for any book (I try to find titles on my TBR shelf at used-book and thrift shops)
To read A Suitable Boy A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth which is almost 1500 pages!

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (micky74007) Read at least two books a month.
Try to read books set in different locations.
Try to read through the alpahbet by author's last initial.
Read poetry and mayber start writing again.

message 22: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl To read at least 10 short story collections, re-read popular classics, and read memoirs from Africa, the Middle East, and Europe (particularly Ireland). Any suggestions?

message 23: by Sovotchka (new)

Sovotchka | 40 comments Cheryl wrote: "To read at least 10 short story collections, re-read popular classics, and read memoirs from Africa, the Middle East, and Europe (particularly Ireland). Any suggestions?"

Ox-Tales: Fire, Ox-Tales: Earth, Ox-Tales: Air and Ox-Tales: Water are great short story collections. Most set in the UK, but some set around the world as well.

message 24: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl SilverRaindrops wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "To read at least 10 short story collections, re-read popular classics, and read memoirs from Africa, the Middle East, and Europe (particularly Ireland). Any suggestions?"

Ox-Tales: ..."

Thanks! Love the idea of these collections, I will look into reading one of them.

message 25: by Mike (new)

Mike Clinton (mikeclinton) | 13 comments I set a modest goal of 35 books to read through the year; I've already fallen behind on the pace, but I do hope to adjust that goal upwards between now and the end of the year. I'm in the Proust reading group, so one specific goal is to complete that series this year.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan | 380 comments I was going to try to finish trekking around the 80 books that I started in the middle of last year, but I am facing a bit of a dilemma.
Once I got to Africa, I found out I really liked the African Writers Series a lot. Now it is hard to know if I should continue or extend my stay there.
As much as I enjoy the trekking option because it makes me read books I wouldn't have otherwise, as well as the better feel for a region I can get, it has certain drawbacks at times.
I may start the Africa by Air on the side this year.

message 27: by Fliss (new)

Fliss Blanch | 45 comments I aim to read at least 100 books this year - read 69 so far.

I try to read 3-4 books a week but if it's a long book then 2-3 is ok

I'm trying to be less of a book snob and read a wide range of genres both fiction and non fiction.

message 28: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (goodreadscomboddy_l) | 101 comments Goals: I started Goodreads in Jan., 2013. I need to update my status for each of these challenges.

* complete my 120 books read for the general Goodreads Challenge (I am at 73 books as of June 22/13)

*complete the Seasonal Summer Challenge-my first time doing it, so chose 200 points by Aug.31, started mid-June, rather than June 1st

* complete the ABC-Read the Alphabet challenge by Dec. 31st

* complete the Road Trip USA Challenge by Dec. 31st

* complete the Read Across Canada Challenge by Dec. 31st

* visit as many countries as possible as a Circumnavigator in the Around the World in 80 Days challenge-not using a deadline

* complete the mini challenge Read a Decade-read a book published in each year between 2004 & 2013 by Dc. 31st, found in the Allsorts Group on GR

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael (micky74007) you go for it girl!

message 30: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (goodreadscomboddy_l) | 101 comments Michael wrote: "you go for it girl!"

Yikes! That looks pretty wild...I really need to concentrate on how make each book work for me, so some can do double duty! Otherwise, I have dug myself a really BIG hole!!! Oh, well, it will be fun trying. The only real deadline I have now is Aug. 31, when the seasonal challenge ends, and I am pretty sure I can muster up 200 points.

I may need more pep talks. Also need to choose a few shorter books. Do you think I can knit for my newest grandchild, the 3rd, due in Nov., AND read at the same time?? Good thing I like staying up late!

Thanks for the positive vibes! Keep sending them!!

message 31: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12845 comments Cheryl wrote: "To read at least 10 short story collections, re-read popular classics, and read memoirs from Africa, the Middle East, and Europe (particularly Ireland). Any suggestions?"

Two African memoirs I can recommend that I have recently read (and that are not depressing) are The Price of Stones: Building a School for My Village and The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope.