Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1)
This topic is about Succubus Blues
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2012 Archives > Dec 2012: * QUESTIONS FOR SUNDAY 12/30 HANGOUT! POST HERE!

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Ooops I'm late! Please post any comments or questions you want us to talk about tomorrow at 2pm PST, Sunday 12/30 on the hangout! We read Succubus Blues this month (With Dragon Actually as an alt!)

Laurel During the first half of the book, there was a scene were the lead was saying no to her boss, he began to caress her breast, and the no immediately became a yes. I don't care if she's a succubus who is supposed to be punishing herself, that kind of writing makes me angry! That one scene turned me off, and I found I just couldn't care about the rest of the book. Has that ever happened to you where one detail ruins the rest of a read for you?

Rose (riversideroserevolver) My main question, and one I saw crop up frequently in the thread, is this idea of beings associated with evil presented as good, and how that affects your expectations. I, for one, think that it could have been better presented. I didn't really get the feeling that she was trying to be good.

Also, I'd love to hear what you ladies think of the fact that this was an excellent opportunity to show a strong female character who can really revel in the enjoyment of sex but doesn't.

Garth Holden I have a couple of questions. Earlier in the month I commented on Richelle Mead’s use of varying levels of personal intimacy (Message 156 SB Thread Dec. 15). I’m curious about the panel’s take on her use of this device: was it as effective as I thought, did it enhance or detract from the story, did it help establish the positioning of the men in Georgina’s life? And also, did you notice it while reading the book?

My next question is about the sex trade. Georgina is a sex trade worker, she takes a mysterious life force instead of the coin of the realm, but she is still taking payment for sexual service. I’m wondering how much the North American anti-prostitution bias played into the Georgina bashing in this month’s thread? I liked Georgina. I don’t know if I could date her, but I also don’t think I could date a dentist either (I don’t care how often you wash em, I still know where your hands have been all day).

message 5: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat | 13 comments For Dragon Actually: I'm curious what the group thought about how quickly Annwyl forgave Fearghus for how long he let her believe the "knight" was a different person? That smutty scene made me lem the book because I personally hated seeing asking for forgiveness turned into a sexy spanking game - it was basically an example of no meaning yes, which I know the group has talked about before.

message 6: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Cascanet (sara-hold-the-h) | 53 comments I agree with other comments that Georgina doesnt really seem to be that into doing good but more about avoiding being bad. Can one truly avoid being bad while not actively being good? Vise versa? Do other characters do the same, such as Carter?

What's up with the John Cusack wannabe look?!?!? I simply could not picture Jerome as Llyod Dobbler, or martin Blank.

Molly (mollyrichmer) I'd like to know if any of you have seen the Canadian tv series "Lost Girl," which also features a succubus as the main protagonist. If so, did it color your view of this book? Which do you like better?

Also, there seems to be a lot of people who hated how pushy Roman was towards Georgina. Looking back, I realize he was pretty relentless, but I guess it didn't bother me so much because Georgina actually liked him. And he's nothing compared to some of the alpha males we've encountered so far (The Duke, were-panther guy, etc.). What did you think of pre-reveal Roman?

Monique (nique87) I'm curious about everyone's take on how Georgina reacts to the Roman reveal, specifically the sexy times where she tries once to get help but then just sort of gives in and then seems to be described as thoroughly enjoying herself.

Also, the general no-means-yes message in Dragon Actually, although I'm sure that would be addressed anyway.

Melissa | 24 comments Laurel wrote: "During the first half of the book, there was a scene were the lead was saying no to her boss, he began to caress her breast, and the no immediately became a yes. I don't care if she's a succubus w..."

I forgot about that part. Later in the book, we find that they have kind of a weird relationship. Sometimes they are close, but sometimes not. Don't really know if that excuses the harassment but they're relationship is far from normal and apparently their souls are connected. Also, when you choose the side of evil, sexual harassment is probably pretty tame.

Melissa | 24 comments Anyone else not really into this book until around the last half? I thought it was kind of weird but got into it after Carter saved Georgina from the nephilim. Then I wanted Carter and Georgina to get together. The last half of the book convinced me to keep reading the series even though the first book seemed a little weak at first.

Emily | 266 comments Succubus Blues:
-Who did you guys like more Roman vs. Seth?
-Did you find Roman stalker/ rapey or did he seem charming? When is persistence creepy?

Dragon Actually:
- Is good writing necessary to enjoy VF books?
- Impressions of Annwyl? Was she a believable or likeable character?
- Was the romance enough to make up for the lack of plot?

Julie (subtleseasonings) | 88 comments I'm curious how many books each of the ladies read this year? A total # read from each would be great. :)

Mathew (dipree) | 16 comments Would be interesting to hear what you think of the Penile Fantasy thread

Justine | 45 comments a) what would your new year vaginal fantasy resolution be? look into different types of VF? make a list of favorite sexy times? finish reading a series you haven't had time for? :)

mine would be to finish kushiel's other trilogy. and write more VF reviews (at least 20!)

b) favorite VF sexy time of the year?

message 15: by Kamil (new) - added it

Kamil | 938 comments We've been on this yourney for an entire year now.. any reads you regret even in the slightest?

message 16: by Sylvia (new) - added it

Sylvia (sylviemarie) | 5 comments Did you guys think Georgina's being a succubus is a good excuse for her going back and forth between Roman and Seth, and I guess the Warren and Doug guys too?
I just felt that if she feels so guilty about her past and what she is then she would be more careful with their emotions not just their lives. I guess the part with her sleeping with Warren irked me, because here she is forming a relationship with Roman, though she doesn't want to, and she goes to someone she knows to get a fix in a way, that she doesn't really need. It just seemed careless, especially since it was done in a public place where she could easily be caught and heard. Maybe I'm to critical but, I would be more understanding if it was some random guy she found in a bar to sleep with and she needed the energy, but yeah did anyone think she was a little to hypocritical I guess?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I really struggled to get into Succubus Blues (was put off initially by the brown chenille sweater and khaki slacks) did anyone else have trouble getting into it? By halfway through I enjoyed it to a point, took it with a grain of salt.

message 18: by Lunafox90 (new)

Lunafox90 | 2 comments I just wanted to say thank you for recommending such a good book. My boyfriend watches your show every sunday and i was listening to it and was like i might actually want to check this book out. Now granted the bad guy part was a bit of a spoiler but meh. I was still squealing with delight and laughing through various parts. I will be continuing this series. I like the one she ends up with, but like felicia it would be fun to see her with carter :P Roman...... he has his faults but really seems to love her, what seth wrote in the book brought such a smile to my face.

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicmo) | 93 comments during the hangout Felicia mentioned that S.B. was optioned as a tv show called Lost Girl. My hubby was scrolling through Netflix and found it!

message 20: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary (mkrhodes84) | 40 comments Nicole wrote: "during the hangout Felicia mentioned that S.B. was optioned as a tv show called Lost Girl. My hubby was scrolling through Netflix and found it!"

cool may have to watch!

Garth Holden Nicole wrote: "during the hangout Felicia mentioned that S.B. was optioned as a tv show called Lost Girl. My hubby was scrolling through Netflix and found it!"

I think that was two seperate topics very close together in the conversation. 1) the TV show Lost Girl (fun series BTW) and 2) that S.B. was optioned (that only means that someone has reserved the option of devloping the story at some point in the future).

Lost Girl is a very different story world featuring the Fae (fairy folk) not the heaven and hell setting of Ms. Mead's work.

message 22: by Peter (new)

Peter | 55 comments Garth wrote: "Nicole wrote: "during the hangout Felicia mentioned that S.B. was optioned as a tv show called Lost Girl. My hubby was scrolling through Netflix and found it!"

I think that was two seperate topics..."

Bo (the lead character in "Lost Girl") is an OK action hero. She looks quite fit, and has some good moves, but - a succubus? Puh-leeze! Her sidekick has way more charisma! I've only seen a couple of episodes so far, and her succubus nature is pretty irrelevant. It mostly just limits her choice of safe hook-ups to other supernaturals and puts pressure on her about where she fits into fae politics.

message 23: by Kamil (new) - added it

Kamil | 938 comments A question.... is it too much to ask to have my name accentuated properly and not in such an elven way?

Garth Holden Peter wrote: "Garth wrote: "Nicole wrote: "during the hangout Felicia mentioned that S.B. was optioned as a tv show called Lost Girl. My hubby was scrolling through Netflix and found it!"

I think that was two s..."

I agree on both points Peter. Bo's bigger dilema seems to be her third party stance in a polerized politcal structure. And, who doens't have a Kenzi fan-crush?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.