And Then There Were None And Then There Were None question

Favorite character?
Rade Rade Dec 29, 2012 11:39AM
Who was your favorite character and why? I am curious to find out who strikes you as interesting and memorable.

I kind of liked Dr. Armstrong. Even though there were at least a couple of moments I thought he was the killer I liked how much common sense he had in trying to find out who was killing everyone.

He seemed to be kind of down to earth kind of guy (even though, as you know, he wasn't COMPLETLELY innocent as the killer mentioned in the message).

Iris (last edited Apr 06, 2015 04:11PM ) Apr 06, 2015 04:06PM   1 vote
I liked Vera because of her no nonsense appearance, but then because of how she evolves into a nut. She freaked out and gets on the defensive moreso than the rest. And she discovers that the deaths are like the poem lines. And finally because of her guilt about what she did. I just really liked her, and never once did it cross my mind that she did it. She was too genuine.

Then it was Philip Lombard because he laughed all the way through. Gotta love that.

Macarthur (I dunno why)

blore

Well this topic is like three years old but I'll comment anyway.

The main thing I loved about this book for me is oddly enough that at the end I hated everyone. The books started by making me sympathize with this group of people captured by a madman for what appears to be no reason. But by the end, it truly was all about self preservation for them. No one truly felt remorse, it was more that they had to suffer the consequences for what they did. And while you can debate whether they all truly commited murder (Brent didn't try and kill the girl and Macarther only sent a man to do a job. Although they both lead to the death of someone) you can't deny that no one had the purest intentions. Even on the island no one truly cared to see anyone but themselves get out of the mess they created. The murders only truly works because everyone on that island was obsessed with greed.

So it's kinda a cop out to say Wargrave most simply because he set events into motion. But he's also such an intresting character. Even he isn't really doing it to be an avenging angel. He did kinda just because he was bored. He wanted to write what he had always read. It's kinda like if Sherlock Holmes decided to try the other side of the game. And while he does see that these people should be tried for their crimes (Again though, debatable) What he truly wants is to be smarter then even the criminal's he's caught. I don't really like Wargrave. It's more just he's a fascinating character to delve into.

On a first read, I hated all of them, except for the killer lol. I've just read it again, and this time I liked Blore more than the others, mostly because of his determination and courage and his very logical no-nonsense attitude, and the fact that he didn't really trust anyone... except at the end, when he got himself killed just cause he didn't want to skip lunch. That was pretty stupid. I also quite liked Armstrong, until he decided to completely trust Wargrave ruining himself and the others as well, which was even more stupid. On the other hand, I didn't like Vera or Lombard because of their selfishness and coldness, and I would say even cockiness, though I have to admit they did pretty well for themselves. I mostly felt sorry for MacArthur. Emily was also pretty interesting, on a psychological level

Since the beginning I wanted to see how an old polite lady like Emily Brent would fit into this story, and she is one of the most interesting for me. She doesn't regret what she did because she believes that she is right. She has conviction, she acts according to her logic, to what is right for her. She may be wrong sometimes, but everybody is wrong about something in life.
I also liked Vera, I didn't think she'd go so far, and it was clear for me that she wasn't the murderer. And maybe because of this I wasn't expecting her breakdown, not like what happened, at least. That was a surprise!
Wargrave was one of my suspects, but his "slow elderly" image was a huge distraction for me. He seemed too calm and rational. It was interesting to see the way he took the leadership so easily, though. He was definitely always in control...

I love Vera, I think it's because I saw the movie and I loved her in that

I try to like Wargrave but I simply can't. I try not to like Vera and Lombard but I kinda like them a bit. I'm glad that they died though. Oh yeah and Emily Brent too, I think she shouldn't be killed!

Lombard definitely! But I kinda liked Vera and Wargrave too :/

On my first unspoilt read i actually quite liked Wargrave a lot. His no nonsense attitude and logical way of thinking and acting reminded me of a more aggressive Poirot. Lombard also had some charisma to him. My favourite would have to be one of those two.

Vera, by far. You see, she's a seemingly innocent governess at the beginning but as we delve into her past, we do realize she's actually a cold hearted villainess who would do ANYTHING for her lover. She sure shows regret throughout the novel but I wonder how their lives would be like if Hugo hadn't realized what she's done.

Either Philip Lombard or Vera Claythorne.

deleted member Aug 30, 2015 05:45PM   0 votes
Vera
She just seemed, if not for the murder she let happen, innocent. To me she came off as the person that was most vulnerable. I felt there were many chances to kill her off, but Wargrave obviously depended on her guilt to do that for him. She was the character I rooted for the entire time, knew wasn't the murderer (although I kinda panicked when she was the last one left), and so badly wanted to live. But, like Vera, I followed the rhyme as well. And when the time came for the One Little Indian... Ughhh I was so mad.
angry

I usually like characters who are interesting, in this book- all were interesting but Emily and Vera fascinated me the most. Emily's stiff up a lip appearance, quiet and unemotional and then Vera's guilty conscience that haunted her throughout the story. I wanted to hear more about Emily, it would have been nice to see her play a bigger role perhaps. Yet, on the other hand, I think she was one of those suspicious characters sloted in the story to lead you off track, only mentioned slightly at the appropriate moments throughout the book.

Mr and Mrs Rodgers as well seemed to hold more than meets the eye near the beginning of the book.Surprisingly, Wargrave's quiet logical approach to the matter in hand appealed to some, as did the Doctor. Lombard wasn't the most memorable to me, neither was Marston. Mac Arthur's dreamy disposition and William Henry Blore were a favourite to others.

BLORE IS MY PRECIOUS CHILD HE IS AMAZING. HE WAS KILLED. THAT MADE ME SAD. BLORE HAS A NICE MUSTACHE. ALSO HE GOT A NICE PROMOTION AFTER BEATING THAT GUY TO DEATH!!! ALSO HE HARDWORKING. HE WENT TO ALL THAT TROUBLE TO KILL LANDOR. HE DESERVED THAT PROMOTION. BLORE IS MY BABY. ALSO HE BELONGS WITH ARMSTONG!!!! BLORESTONGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE IS ALSO PURE AND INNOCENT!! HIS HEART IS MADE OF SOLID GOLD!!!!! THAT'S WHY ARMSTRONG LOVES HIM. I COULDNT BEAR (HAHAHAHA GET IT BEAR?) TO SEE HIM DIE!! OH BLORIE COME BACK TO ME! BLOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

U 25x33
Jungle That made me laugh so hard lol
Sep 22, 2018 06:17AM · flag

My favorite is Dr. Amstrong.

Josh (last edited Feb 16, 2013 04:29PM ) Feb 13, 2013 01:11PM   0 votes
Favorite character was by far Emily Brent.

She is a victim of her own generation and even though her head is distorted by the Bible, her heart is in the right place (remember how she was the one to say that black or white we're all brothers. Remember, this book was written in the 30s). Her head and God's words tell her she did the right thing but her heart says otherwise. That's why her actions come back to haunt her because despite her values she feels extremely guilty.

Even if that internal conflict doesn't make her the most likeable it certainly makes her the most fascinating, in my opinion.

The crimes can certainly be divided by "head" and "heart"- "logic" and "emotion". Most of the characters did crimes that they knew were wrong but their emotions got the better of them. Lombard and Brent were the only ones that committed their crimes because of what made sense to them. The difference was that Brent thought she was doing the right thing (probably because of her upbringing/life), whereas Lombard knew he was doing the wrong thing but didn't care.

Stephen Broady I have to agree. Miss Brent was a rather interesting character and her line about how we're all human not matter what are race has always stuck with, ...more
Sep 22, 2018 03:29PM · flag

Blore