Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

33 views
Miscellaneous Book Talk > Forbes predictions for 2013 in Books - Goodreads?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Dec 29, 2012 10:39AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Interesting first prediction...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremygre...
Not so sure I get this one... quoting the story:
"1. Goodreads becomes a bookseller.

This one is a bit more than a prediction. I have spoke with three sources familiar with the matter (though none of them are at the company) that have given me credible background on the matter: Goodreads, the massive social network dedicated to books and readers, will turn into a bookseller in 2013. When I asked founder and CEO Otis Chandler about it earlier this year, he said “not yet.” When I approached the company with my information and asked for comment, a spokesperson told me, “We don’t comment on rumors or speculation.”

Fair enough and time will tell but let’s think about this for a second. Why not?

The company has more than 12 million registered users who are all there for books and reading — they share book recommendations, find out about new titles and build massive lists of books they intend to buy and read. It already drives a lot of book sales at partner retailers through affiliate links. And it has great relationships with publishers (aka, suppliers) that it can leverage to build stock. So, why wouldn't the company try to sell books?"


message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Another thread offshoot - tablets vs. eBook readers? the recent thread about iPad reading and browsing seems to support this premise: Tablets putting ebook readers out of business...
I admit to reading more on my phone than I used to and mostly on my Fire which is a hybrid. The other day I kept trying to use the screen to change pages while reading on my K2... the buttons seemed clunky.
http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2012/...


message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments Ann wrote: Goodreads becomes a bookseller...

Don't see why they shouldn't, as long as it doesn't become a requirement to spend a fixed amount on books from this site.



message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3638 comments Ann wrote: "Interesting first prediction...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremygre...
Not so sure I get this one... quoting the story:
"1. Goodrea..."


I can see this.......as long as they're competitive.


message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Ann wrote: "Another thread offshoot - tablets vs. eBook readers? the recent thread about iPad reading and browsing seems to support this premise: Tablets putting ebook readers out of business...
I admit to rea..."


To your point: my Kindles are gathering dust, and I don't see this changing. With my Kindle App for the iPad I will probably go there first if I want to eRead.


message 6: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Even tho I have the ipad, I still plan on using my Kindle fire for the majority of my reading. I like the smaller size and weight. I can see your point about the ereaders tho, my old kindle is gathering dust. I don't use it at all in the winter, and in the summer only when at the pool or beach as I like the screen better for reading outside.


message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Liz: DD and I had a similar conversation yesterday, the screen with eInk, even on my older K2 or her K3 is still superior over any backlit screen when reading outdoors. I still am tempted by the paperwhite newer generation Kindles though...
*My old K2 has become a single book. I keep it on the page I am ready to read and pick it up when I want to go further in Under the Dome which I have been reading for two years now. LOL. Organizing in the collections takes up some time on it once a month or so as I still "send" my books I buy or grab free to it. The other apps just pick them up on the cloud.
LizH wrote: "I don't use it at all in the winter, and in the summer only when at the pool or beach as I like the screen better for reading outside. "


message 8: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Oh, yes, the kindle paperwhite...hmmm. Seriously, do I need another electronic device? Heck yes!!! But I think I will wait on that for a little while :)


message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3765 comments LizH wrote: "Oh, yes, the kindle paperwhite...hmmm. Seriously, do I need another electronic device? Heck yes!!! But I think I will wait on that for a little while :)"

i sold my touch and bought a paperwhite and i love it!
i use my kindle for reading way more than my ipad. i like the lighter weight of it and the fact that i can see it to read outdoors. i bring my ipad to work and use it with my students and play lots of games on it..lol


message 10: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Ann wrote: "Liz: DD and I had a similar conversation yesterday, the screen with eInk, even on my older K2 or her K3 is still superior over any backlit screen when reading outdoors. I still am tempted by the pa..."

Gosh, Ann, I'm still using my Kindle 1. So far no problems at all.


message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Sherry wrote: "i sold my touch and bought a paperwhite and i love it!
i use my kindle for reading way more than my ipad. i like the lighter weight of it and the fact that i can see it to read outdoors. i bring my ipad to work and use it with my students and play lots of games on it..lol ..."


I saw Sherry's Paperwhite yesterday and it is pretty tempting. However, I think I have enough Kindles in my collection, I won't get another until I can sell those...


message 12: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3102 comments Yeah, those Kindles are a bit thin for holding a door open. I wonder if the modest per book savings works if you purchase a new device every year.


message 13: by Shomeret (last edited Dec 31, 2012 05:57PM) (new)

Shomeret | 1388 comments It's unlikely that I would purchase a new device every year, Barry. I just think that an external keyboard would end my frustrations with the virtual keyboard on Kindle 1 and that it would improve the quality of my reading life immensely. So I am going to buy a Kindle Keyboard. I am continually doing searches on Kindle. The virtual keyboard makes searches very time consuming. You wouldn't want to listen to the language I use when I'm trying to do a search on Kindle.

I did think about the Kindle White on a night flight, but I only take one night flight a year. It would be a benefit to me, but a rather small one compared to the impact of a Kindle Keyboard.


message 14: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3637 comments Interesting article. I'm finding lately more is getting read on the nook because more books that I want or have to read are on there. I still like to hold a real book and need to get the DT book mountains down. Hardly been using my original nook which still works without a problem at all but know there will be times that I want to read that for the beginning books I was putting on there directly rather than onto the mac first. The kindle is off to the side because of battery problems which I need to deal with and keep putting off. I have a gift certificate that is a little old that is collecting dust (haha) that I might need to use towards the kindle once I decide what to do. been reading different sites relating to battery change and who says doing it yourself and just getting the battery with the video that tells you how or paying the not worth it fee for sending it back and having them do it.
I also think that once the summer comes and beach time I'll go back to using the original nook because I would maybe take that to the beach rather than the tablet which I would think would take the chance doing. as long as I read under my chair canopy it's doable. it's next to impossible to read without doing that.
I'm just waiting for the time to deal with my sister's ipad. looking forward to getting some books on there for her. I told her we are just going to try different things and hope for the best. from what I read different places all she needs is the Adobe which my bil said they have it. and if the download email can be opened in that and moved to ibooks then it can be read. now those of you with the ipad can tell me if that is true. some say that is how they do it. if there is any other apps she needs besides that let me know.
my sister is really starting to get into the ipad thing. who would have ever thought. from what my cousin says you just have to play with it to learn how to do things and that you can't do wrong.


message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Looks like you'll need an iPad soon too, DonnaJo!


message 16: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3637 comments LOL, maybe if I win one but I don't see spending money on one unless I win a lottery or something.
but today I took my mac over to my sister's so we figured out to put the books on her ipad for her. it was so easy it do. don't know why people kept saying it was hard to do or not possible. so I got her started with 8 books and we have a list of other's that I have that she wants. we worked on doing that plus starting a book journal for her plus a notebook with books she wants to read (rather than all those little pieces of paper either ripped out of costco or some other newspaper about books or even ones she wrote down she heard about. now I told her don't misplace the notebooks. Now I told her she just has to find the time to read the books. with a new baby in the family coming this week who knows when there will be time.


back to top