Books do furnish a year discussion

Greetings

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy  (vilette) | 1 comments Hello,

I live in Canada. I read my way through Anthony Powell's masterpiece a few years ago. I have also watched the TV version. I'm interested in what the other members of this group think about it.

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Garrett (labouquineuse) | 33 comments Mod
Welcome Dot!
I'm originally from Canada as well, although I've been in the UK for quite awhile. I've meant to read this series year after year, and never quite got to it. (Read the first few in Montreal in early 80s, but then couldn't find the rest anywhere.) Really, really looking forward to getting into it again.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Recruitment drive...

Hi all,

Just to let you know I've been trying to lure in a few more members.

I wrote a blog post http://melanielgarrett.com/?p=514, and have tweeted about it as well:

New Year, new games. Want to play? Books Do Furnish A Year. A 'Dance to the Music of Time' reading challenge for 2013.
http://melanielgarrett.com/?p=514

Can you think of anyone else who might be interested in joining us?

Hope all is well with you!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this series years and years ago. I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle it again, but am interested to see what else the group might come up with. Right now I'm starting my project of reading the novels of Knut Hamsun. I've started "growth of the Soil," which I read a long time ago. I'll make it through, but have to address the library books that keep piling up. Good luck with your group. Tony

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Excellent! Welcome aboard!

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 1 comments Melanie - thanks for inviting me. As a child I played Nicholas as a boy in a BBC radio 4 adaptation of the series and have been meaning to read it for ages, which is why it's on my to do list. This sounds like a great challenge and I'm looking forward to sharing thoughts with everyone.

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 4 comments I am really excited about the prospect of re-reading this series. When I initially read it (about 4 years ago)I just voraciously gobbled up each book. Now, it will be fun to savour it a bit--without the need to discover what happens next. And, it will be fun to share the experience with other readers.

message 8: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 1 comments I've decided to definitely give reading this series a go. I'm not sure if I'll be buying the ebooks (quite expensive if you look at it as 12 lots of £7.49, though a little less so when considered as one book a month) or if I'll be trying to track down the rather hefty (700 and odd pages!) collections with three books at a time from the library or amazon. Either way, this series looks fascinating and a good way to add some structure to my reading this year.

message 9: by Miko (new)

Miko Mayer (mikomayer) | 4 comments Another Canadian in the UK here!

I've never read the series and am really looking forward to it. Just bought the first one on Kindle and, like Alicia, I'm surprised at the cost; it's a shame they don't have the compendiums available in digital format. Still, I suppose £7.50 a month isn't the end of the world, especially if the series is rewarding.

Thanks for creating this group, Melanie!

message 10: by Dr_I_Dont_Know (new)

Dr_I_Dont_Know | 1 comments Thanks for inviting me, Melanie. I'm not 100% sure I am committed to 12 full months of Powell, but maybe I will be sucked in as the year moves along.

message 11: by Melanie (new)

I cannot tell you how delighted I am to see how quickly our numbers are growing!

I agree completely about the price of the Kindle versions, but have decided to do it that way anyway, because of the ease of note-taking. It's only the price of a film a month, as you say.

Touchy subject...Has anyone actually started the reading yet?! Or should this be a new thread?

I'm sitting in a Starbucks, and *should* be working, but am very tempted to just go and take a quick peak at what young Mr Jenkins is up to now...I may be some time...

message 12: by Hugh (new)

Hugh | 1 comments It's years since I read them - early 80s as a sort of follow on to Brideshead. I found the adaptation on screen pretty good though as often the main characters were (with the exception of Widmerpool) too good looking.

I've started the first one and have found it as I remembered quite stunningly easy to read.

message 13: by Fluffychick (new)

Fluffychick Hi
I've just found you and decided to join you!
I'm trying to read several "should have read" tomes this year and look forward to this one!

I'm going for the kindle option too - just because it's easier.

message 14: by Jane (new)

Jane Hello, I'm pleased to be joining you as well. I've had good luck purchasing the first three volumes used. They do seem to be "out there" in the used book world, for those who, like myself, still keep to the old-fashioned ways. The rest I'll get from the library where I work. Looking forward to sharing thoughts about Powell; he has been on my "must read" list for many years.

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen Davis (bookslibations) | 3 comments Melanie wrote: "I cannot tell you how delighted I am to see how quickly our numbers are growing!

I agree completely about the price of the Kindle versions, but have decided to do it that way anyway, because of th..."

Hi there, thanks for the invite, I've already started reading it, and I definitely enjoy it, but I'd love to read it with a group to get more out of it. Looking forward to finally learning to love Widmerpool (I've read the first chapter about 20 times in the past decade.)

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) Hi all, I've just collected my copy of A Question of Upbringing from the library so will be joining in as soon as I finish a few others I currently have on the go.

message 17: by Mikela (last edited Jan 12, 2013 03:53PM) (new)

Mikela Thanks for the invitation. I've just finished At Lady Molly's and taking a short breather before tackling the 5th book. I'll be reading a combination of ebooks and hardcovers that I'm able to get from the library. BTW, another Canadian here.

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy (amythecool) | 1 comments Hi there,

Thanks for the invite! I'm a bit late but hopefully I'll be able to catch up as the year goes on. I've been reading the top 100 modern novels from a list I found online so this will be my 65th of the 100. I've ordered the first one from the library so I'll get started soon, assuming nobody else in my town is also in the group! Looking forward to it as I've never done anything like this before.

message 19: by Melanie (new)

Welcome aboard Amy! No such thing as being late for this party! We seem to all be at slightly different stages in the reading, and on different books, but that just makes it all the more interesting!

Hope you enjoy the first book. Looking forward to hearing what you make of it!

message 20: by Melanie (new)

LOVE the bookmarks! No excuses now...

Seriously though, please don't worry about the schedule. We're all reading at our own paces, and sometimes life gets in the way (I say this, having already fallen slightly behind in month 2/3).

Really looking forward to hearing what you make of the books. Reading them in glorious, matching hardbacks is probably how it was meant to be done...

message 21: by Helen (new)

Helen Billington | 10 comments I had decided to read all 12 novels in the series this year as part of my New Year resolution to read twice as many novels as last year ie. 40 novels. So far I've been alternating between Anthony Powell and crime thrillers. I was 30 pages into 'The Acceptance World' when I found your group so am already on your book a month schedule. I look foreard to sharing ideas and may find you on twitter although twitter/facebook were the things my new year resolution was designed to get me to reduce :-)

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Great to have you on board, Helen!

I have also been trying to alternate books with Powell, but am falling behind slightly as I have had a ton of reading to catch up with for other projects. But I am planning a catch up marathon soon...

Looking forward to your thoughts on it all.