Historical Fictionistas discussion

Ancient History (Old Threads) > Historical Fictionista University - BA Requirements & Questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 611 (611 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (last edited Jul 04, 2013 10:39AM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1352 comments Mod
Historical Fictionista University - Jan - Dec 2013

OVERVIEW:
We all share a passion for reading and historical fiction. For some it’s a hobby, while for others it’s part of our day jobs. This year, we’re trying something new with a year-long challenge called Historical Fictionista University (HFU).

This will be a task-based challenge where you can work your way through a “historical” education by earning degrees (based on the US education system); the degrees are a BA, Masters and PhD. Each participant can choose the level of degree they would like to achieve. This challenge will NOT use points or a scoreboard, but there will be monthly announcements on how people are doing against their goals.

GENERAL RULES:
Participants may join at any time during the challenge. The challenge will last from January 1st until December 31st, 2013. If you join late, you can still use any books that you read during the challenge timeframe.

1) Books must be at least 200 pages long. Eligibility for this is determined by the most popular edition on Goodreads. If the most popular edition is 197 pages, it will not count, even if the edition read is 215 pages. Books must have a description and page count listed in the Goodreads database.

2) ALL books must be completed by 11:59p EST on December 31st, 2013 to count. Books started prior to January 1st will not be counted.

3) Re-reads and audiobooks are accepted. Audiobook page counts will be determined by the most popular edition on Goodreads.

4) Cover requirements will be determined by the most popular edition on Goodreads. When claiming the cover requirements, please choose the display cover option when linking to your book. Genre requirements will be determined by genres listed on the main page of the book (right side of main book page).

5) The following definitions will be used in tasks:
• Historical fiction (HF): a work published at least 50 years after at least half of the events take place in the work. As an example, Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet is historical fiction but Eye of the Needle is not because it was originally published in 1978 and the setting is 1940’s.
• A classic: a work that is usually considered to be a representation of the period in which it was written; and the work merits lasting recognition (example: Pride and Prejudice). For our challenge, a classic needs to be published prior to 1950.

6) The tracking for this challenge will be a bit different. A separate HFU folder has been opened. Each participant will have a dedicated thread where they will track the task completion (requirements) for each degree. If you want to join in this challenge, please create a thread with your name in the topic title. Included below are reporting templates and also reporting examples.

Please link to the book title and not cover unless there is a cover requirement.

To create your reporting thread, click on this link: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_... Then in the upper right corner, there is a link to create a new topic. Click on this and type in the name of your thread.

If you get approval for a book, please tell me the post number as I can't always remember :-D

7) In order to earn your degree, you must read books that fulfill the tasks for the degree. A book can only count against 1 task (unless specifically listed). Once you have completed all of the tasks for that degree, please send me a PM and I will validate them for your listing on our graduate’s monthly update. NOTE: You participate in multiple challenges which means that you can read one book for multiple challenges.

8) Tasks within the degree can be completed in any order. For this challenge, you must complete the degrees in order; however, books can be read and applied to later degrees as long as it is only applied to one task in the entire challenge. As an example, if you read the Group Read about immigration in January and want to use it for a task in the Master’s degree (but didn't use for any BA tasks), you will simply wait to report it.

9) HAVE FUN!!!

Masters and Phd requirements will be posted in January.

message 2: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (last edited Dec 29, 2012 07:56PM) (new)

Bachelor of Arts (BA) Requirements

The BA degree consists of a well-rounded course of study covering a wide range of topics; this will require you to complete 11 tasks. In addition, you will select either a history or a literature major. You will be required to complete an additional 12 tasks associated with your major.

General Requirements:
Science & Mathematics – Complete 3 tasks:
• Read a book with a number in the title or subtitle (not related to the number in a series)
• Read a book with the genre of science fiction
• Read a book with the genre of medical thriller
• Read a book featuring a character doing research on a scientific topic
• Read a book where a character uses math as part of their job (finance, business owner)
• Read a book with a geometric shape (examples: triangle, rectangle, circle)on the cover
• Read a book featuring constructing a building or monument
• Read a non-fiction book related to a science or math topic

Social Sciences – Complete 3 tasks
• Read a biography of a 19th or 20th century world leader (president, prime minister)
• Read a book with the genre of politics or philosophy
• Read a book set in a dystopian society
• Read a book about a revolution
• Read a book which has characters from different classes (examples: lords and vassals)
• Read a book featuring a religion that you are unfamiliar with
• Read a non-fiction book about a “hot” political topic (example: healthcare, taxes) [NOTE: for non-US participants, you can pick a topic which is relevant in your country
• Read a book featured on The Daily Show Reading Club listopia (http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/99...)

Language – Complete 1 task
• Read two books that have been translated that were originally written in the same language (does not have to be the same author or translator)
• Read 3 books that have been translated (any language)
• Read 1 book in an original language other than English

Arts – Complete 1 task
• Read a book where a piece of art is featured in the plot
• Read a non-fiction work about an artistic pursuit (hobby where you create something)
• Read a book which has a character that plays a musical instrument

Literature and History requirements are detailed in the major requirements. You will pick either a HISTORY (Post 3) or a LITERATURE (Post 4) major

message 3: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (last edited Jun 30, 2013 08:31PM) (new)

History Majors

Literature: Complete 3 tasks
• Re-read a classic that you had to read at high school or university (this might be a chance to actually finish one that you may have skimmed)
• Read a play (may read 2 books to total 200 pages)
• Read a book of poetry (may read 200 books to total 200 pages)
• Read a classic that was published in the 19th century
• Read a book with the genre of mythology
• Read a book from the “The Guardians 1000 Novels” listopia (http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/66...)
• Read an anthology of short stories
• Read a book that has won a literary award (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...)

History: Complete ALL tasks
• Read 2 non-fiction books with a genre of history
• Pick 3 HF books each set in a different geographic location:
o North America
o South America
o Europe
o Africa
o Asia
• Time Period Coverage: Read a HF book set in the following time periods
o Ancient: BC – 4th century
o Medieval: 5th century – 13th century
o Renaissance: 14 century – 16th century
o Early Modern: 17th century – 18th century
o Modern: 19th century – 1960
• Read a book with strong historical basis but which features either 1) time travel, 2) alternate history or 3) historical fantasy
• Read a fiction book that has a dual storyline with one of the stories being set in the present and one at least 50 years prior to today.

message 4: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (last edited Jan 25, 2013 10:26AM) (new)

Literature Majors

History: Complete 3 tasks
• Read non-fiction book with a genre of history
• Read a book with strong historical basis but which features either 1) time travel, 2) alternate history or 3) historical fantasy
• Read a fiction book that has a dual storyline with one of the stories being set in the present and one at least 50 years prior to today
• Read a HF book which features a war
• Read a historical mystery
• Read a HF book which features a real person or event
• Read a HF book with a setting in the country where you live
• Read one of the historical fiction classics as listed in http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Literature: Complete ALL tasks
• Re-read a classic that you had to read at high school or university (this might be a chance to actually finish one that you may have skimmed)
• Read 4 books each with a unique form from the following list:
o Read a play (may read 2 books to total 200 pages)
o Read a book of poetry (may read 2 books to total 200 pages)
o Read an anthology of short stories (different authors similar subject)
o Read a short story collection (same author)
o Read a graphic novel (This must be at least 150 pages).
o Read a memoir or biography
o Read a work of non-fiction
• Read 3 books with a unique genre. Select from this list:
o Horror
o Fantasy
o Romance
o Historical Fiction
o Literary Fiction
o Mystery
• Read a 2 books from the “The Guardians 1000 Novels” listopia (http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/66...)
• Read 2 books that has won a literary award (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...)

message 5: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

Reporting Templates

Degree: BA HISTORY

Science & Mathematics tasks :

Social Sciences tasks :

Language tasks :

Arts tasks :

Literature tasks :

History tasks :
1. Non-fiction
2. Non-fiction
3. Ancient: BC – 4th century
4. Medieval: 5th century – 13th century
5. Renaissance: 14 century – 16th century
6. Early Modern: 17th century – 18th century
7. Modern: 19th century – 1960
8. Location
9. Location
10. Location
11. Altered history
12. Dual story

message 6: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

Reporting Templates

Degree: BA LITERATURE

Science & Mathematics tasks :

Social Sciences tasks :

Language tasks :

Arts tasks :

History tasks :

Literature tasks :
1. Re-read:
2. Form
3. Form
4. Form
5. Form
6. Genre
7. Genre
8. Genre
9. Guardian list
10. Guiardian list
11. Award
12. Award

message 7: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (last edited Dec 29, 2012 10:58AM) (new)

Reporting Example - Option 1

With this option, you can link the books directly into the summary reporting.

Science & Mathematics tasks:
1. Science Fiction: Dune
2. # in Title: I Am Number Four

Social Sciences tasks:

Language task:
1. 2 books, same language: Steppenwolf, The Dark Monk

Arts task:
1. Musician:Tigana

Literature tasks:
1. Re-read: Pride and Prejudice
2. Guardian List: Rebecca
3. Award winner: Booker prize - The Sense of an Ending

History tasks:
1. Non-fiction: 1776
2. Non-fiction
3. Ancient: BC – 4th century: Stonehenge
8. Location
9. Location
10. Location
11. Altered history
12. Dual story

message 8: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

Reporting Example - Option 2

If you are posting individual books as you read them, you can just refer to the post number in your reporting thread. Please tell me what tasks you are doing in the summary thread

Science & Mathematics tasks:
1. Science Fiction: Post #
2. # in Title: Post #

Social Sciences tasks:

Language task:
1. 2 books, same language: Post #

Arts task:
1. Musician:Post #

Literature tasks:

History tasks:
1. Non-fiction:
2. Non-fiction
3. Ancient: BC – 4th century:
8. Location
9. Location
10. Location
11. Altered history
12. Dual story

message 9: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Dec 29, 2012 11:40AM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2967 comments How do you earn degress beyond BA? Also how do we make our folders?

message 10: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

I will posting the Masters and PhD requirements later in January.

Making your own topics: Click on the HFU Challenge - 2013 folder. You will find a "new topic" link on the on the top right. (I will add to the instructions)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2967 comments Do we report our tasks in our folders?

message 12: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

Yes -- you can report the tasks in your own folder.

message 13: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3683 comments Mod
JoLene, sorry, I should have asked earlier, but for the BA tasks where no genre is specified, can that be any type of book, or HF only?

Example: Read a book with a number in the title or subtitle (not related to the number in a series)

message 14: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

If it does not specify, it can be any genre.....the masters and PhD will have mostly historical novels.

message 15: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kristinekae) | 262 comments Loving this one, great job,

message 16: by Becky, Moddess (new)

JoLene wrote: "If it does not specify, it can be any genre.....the masters and PhD will have mostly historical novels."

Makes sense. Thanks! :)

message 17: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kristinekae) | 262 comments For the task, read a book with a shape on the cover, does this mean a definite shape on it's own, or say a suitcase that is a rectangle count?

message 18: by Christina (new)

Christina (christinahh) | 256 comments This looks like fun. If we are participating in other challenges such as the January Mini Challenge can we claim a book read for both the mini challenge and the year long challenge?

message 19: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Christina wrote: "This looks like fun. If we are participating in other challenges such as the January Mini Challenge can we claim a book read for both the mini challenge and the year long challenge?"

Yes, you certainly can.

message 20: by Evan (new)

Evan (medieval_geek) | 25 comments Question on Classics - I didn't read that many books for class at school and the one that I wanted to read again wasn't published early enough and probably wouldn't be considered a classic anyway, but I might be able to use it for another task. So I was thinking - E. Nesbit's The Railway Children would be okay, yes? My other idea was Macbeth - would a play be okay? Or does the fact that analysis/study guidance contributes to the page count of the top edition on Goodreads rule it out?

message 21: by Evan (new)

Evan (medieval_geek) | 25 comments Sorry, just reread and realised that there are other tasks I can do in that section, and also I did The Railway Children at primary school and not senior school, but the question about other content of the book counting towards page count for the read a play task stands

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2967 comments I was wondering about the task with a shape on the cover. Shape is a vague word. So is it anything that is a shape like circle, square, triangle?

message 23: by Cheryl A (new)

Cheryl A | 967 comments JoLene - This looks like a great challenge and I'm super excited. The only thing I have a question on is related to "read a play". There are very few individual plays that have more than 200 pages. Can individual plays that are parts of "cycles" be used - such as The Kentucky Cycle (9 individual plays), Three Plays from the Orphans' Home Cycle: Courtship / Valentine's Day / 1918 or both parts of Angels in America, Part One: Millennium Approaches be used?

message 24: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 162 comments LOVE it! Great job on putting this together, JoLene! :) I'm so excited to get started...two more days!

message 25: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

@Jayme, the shape should be a geometric shape: circle, square, polygon, rectangle, tapezoid, triangle, etc

@Cheryl, I will allow you to read two plays for a total of 200 pages.

I will modify the instructions.

message 26: by Becky, Moddess (new)

JoLene, for the medical thriller, would something like Kathy Reichs' Temperance Brennan series work? She's a forensic anthropologist: Déjà Dead

message 27: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kristinekae) | 262 comments JoLene wrote: "@Jayme, the shape should be a geometric shape: circle, square, polygon, rectangle, tapezoid, triangle, etc

@Cheryl, I will allow you to read two plays for a total of 200 pages.

I will modify the ..."

But can the shape be an object like a suitcase or a ball?

message 28: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

No, the shape needs to be a graphic, not a real object.

message 29: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

Yes, I will allow Deja Dead for a medical thriller.

message 30: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
JoLene wrote: "No, the shape needs to be a graphic, not a real object."

Like this? Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner or Mastery by Robert Greene

message 31: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 0 comments Awesome challenge JoLene! Thank you once again for your hard work!

message 32: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

@Jackie, yes those would work.

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather | 17 comments This looks like a really fun challenge. I've never done a challenge before so I have a couple of questions. Is it ok to brain storm ideas with the group to get some suggestions for books that might satisfy different requirements? For example, I could use some ideas for books that have been translated from another language. If the task doesn't specify a genre should the book be historical fiction? For example, under Science and Mathematics you have a requirement to "Read a book featuring a character doing research on a scientific topic", should this be a historical fiction book or any book with that plot element? Can a non-fiction book fulfill this type or requirement or can they only be used when specified?

message 34: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments This looks awesome. Looking forward to getting my degrees. :)

message 35: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 252 comments What a fun idea! :)

message 36: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

@Heather --- you can ask for suggestions....I can open another thread for that topic so that people that want suggestions can get them, but those who like to search on their own can do that too.

If the task says read a book, it can be anything (fiction or non-fiction) --- does not need to historical fiction. For the Masters and PhD, there will be much more stringent requirements and much more historical fiction reading!!

message 37: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (ladybugh) | 124 comments Very neat idea. Will definitely consider "Registering" at HFU. :-)

Would just have to plan out my course load.. heh heh

message 38: by Darcy (last edited Dec 30, 2012 10:01AM) (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 100 comments I have a question about the History task that states:
"Pick 3 books each set in a different geographic location:
North America
South America
Europe
Africa
Asia"

I initially interpreted this to mean pick 3 books and each has to be set in a different geographic location than the other two re: Continents.
The more I thought about it I wondered if I should have interpreted this as 3 books for each geographic location.
Could you clarify this one for me?

Thanks,

Edit to add: Do you think that The Sherlockian by Graham Moore by Graham Moore would suit for the second option of the following task:
"Read a book with strong historical basis but which features etierh 1) time travel, 2) alternate history or 3) historical fantasy"?

message 39: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

It is a total of 3 books. Each book should be in a separate location. In other words, you can't read three HF set in North America for this task.

message 40: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

No, I will not accept The Sherlockian as it is classified as a historical mystery. If you look on the books main good reads page, you will find a list of genres. This list should have alternate history, time travel or fantasy as well as historical.

message 41: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 306 comments Fabulous challenge, JoLene. Questions:
1. Will you accept Newton and the Counterfeiter: The Unknown Detective Career of the World's Greatest Scientist as a person who uses math as part of their job. (He invented calculus)

2. Will you accept These Is My Words These Is My Words (Sarah Agnes Prine, #1) by Nancy E. Turner for the shape on the cover? (There are small squares and rectangles around the edges)
Re: Message 40. When I look at the main Goodreads page of a book, I do not see a list of genres under the book. Are you referring to the list on the right where various readers have characterized the book?

Thank you.

message 42: by Teawench (new)

Teawench | 8 comments I love this idea! It's so clever and awesome. I'm totally in but it'll be interesting. My books are still all in boxes somewhere. I guess I'll have to get my library card sooner rather than later and do some planning ahead.

message 43: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 700 comments I was going to try to limit my challenges for this year but this one is simply too tempting. I may have to steer clear of some of the smaller challenges but this one looks too intriguing to skip so I am in with this one.

Since my real degree was history I think I will go with literature for this challenge.

message 44: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

Holly -- I will accept both of those books.

When I look at the main page of a book, it says genres as the heading, but yes --- I think that the data is the top shelves that users have "shelved" the book.

Glad you guys like the challenge --- I've been mulling it over for a while.

message 45: by LemonLinda (last edited Dec 30, 2012 02:04PM) (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 700 comments How about Trinity Trinity by Leon Uris for shapes - It is the version I have but not the first version for that book on Goodreads.

message 46: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

The cover must be the most popular version, similar to page numbers. --- this has been a rule in previous challenges.

message 47: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 81 comments Great challenge! Now I just have to decide between Lit and History.

message 48: by LemonLinda (last edited Dec 30, 2012 04:59PM) (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 700 comments Will On Agate Hill On Agate Hill by Lee Smith work for the shapes requirement?

And will The Glass-Blowers by Daphne du Maurier by Daphne du Maurier work for the art task? It is about a master craftsman in the art of glass blowing, I believe.

message 49: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

Yes on both accounts....the second looks good :-)

message 50: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

For those who are undecided, and are planning to continue ---- the advanced degrees will be focused on history.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13