SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

Monthly Nominations > March Science Fiction Theme Nominations: Post-Apocalyptic

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 01, 2013 08:25AM) (new)

It's time to make your nominations for the March Science Fiction theme: Post-Apocalyptic.

There's a lot to choose from here and since some of these also cross over into fantasy, please stay away from the paranormal and magical. So, I would say zombies from a biological agent are good but evil, satanic zombies not so much ...

Remember we are also excluding any authors who we've selected to read in the past 12 months. The list can be found here. Any author on this list is cannot be nominated. Any author previously nominated and/or a runner up but not selected is still fair game.

So Let's see what you all come up with. Remember, one nomination and one seconding per person, no nominating your own book and once we have a nice list, I'll open up the vote.

Nominated and Seconded
Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling
Evolution by Stephen Baxter
Daimones by Massimo Marino
Prophets of the Ghost Ants by Clark Thomas Carlton
The Book of Dave: A Revelation of the Recent Past and the Distant Future by Will Self
The Visitor by Sheri S. Tepper

Nominated
The Stand by Stephen King
Flood by Stephen Baxter
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 99 comments I would like to nominate Dies the Fire.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 29, 2012 10:04AM) (new)

I nominate Evolution by Stephen Baxter.

This is more than just an apocalypse and a post-apocalyptic world. This is a fictional evolution of the Earth from little creepy crawlies, though humanity, our demise and the evolution of our descendants through the end of the Earth itself.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 78 comments Mod
I would second Dies the Fire and nominate The Stand.

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 24 comments Can I both second and nominate? If so, I second Evolution
and I'd like to nominate Mr. Baxter's Flood

message 7: by JSWolf (last edited Dec 29, 2012 10:57AM) (new)

JSWolf | 89 comments I shall nominate Nancy Kress' Beggars in Spain

message 8: by David P (new)

David P Forsyth (daidpforsyth) | 6 comments I see that Daimones by Massimo Marino is about to win the Award for 2012 PRG Reviewers' Choice in Science Fiction. It's an apocalyptic book I've been wanting to read, and have already read most of the other nominations, so I'd like to nominate Daimones. (It has a cool cover too)

message 9: by Tansy (new)

Tansy Roberts (tansyrr) | 1 comments I second Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress.

message 10: by Carro (new)

Carro | 47 comments There is a Sherri Tepper book which nicely meets the criteria I think and am having an absolute blank as to the title - tried on Fantastic Fiction and got nowhere.

The plot includes a lot of people praying - across the world - and also a survivalist bunker. Anyone?

Also, in terms of a positive post-apolocalyptic book, there is The Postman by David Brin.

Now, if someone can help me with the Sheri Tepper title, I'd rather nominate that but.....

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

The Postman is a lousy movie but a fantastic book - unfortunately, a different book by Brin has been selected in the past 12 months .... :(

Also, I left in Beggars in Spain (another fantastic book) because it was seconded already, but I'm not really sure it counts as Post-apocalyptic; I really think it's more of a Dystopian Hard Science novel.

For that matter, I could argue both ways whether The Stand was Fantasy or Science Fiction as it has elements of both - so I left it in too.

I thought I knew my Tepper, but I'm uncertain based on the description, Carro. By any chance do you mean The Visitor?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read the original novella for "Beggars in Spain" and don't think it is Post-Apocalyptic; it's more bio-tech. Maybe the novel is different.

I nominate The Book of Dave: A Revelation of the Recent Past and the Distant Future by Will Self. It isn't traditional science fiction by genre standards, but it is Post-Apocalyptic and is currently (12/29/2012) only $3.03 at Amazon.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought about it more and while I really like Beggars in Spain, it really doesn't fit the theme ... so I removed it from the seconded list...

message 14: by Dodie (new)

Dodie Reed (yarnwench) I second Flood by Stephen Baxter. I really enjoy his books.

message 15: by JSWolf (last edited Dec 29, 2012 09:09PM) (new)

JSWolf | 89 comments Since my previous nomination wasn't accepted, I'm going to nominate The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

This time I'm sure it fits the theme.

message 16: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette Westlake | 19 comments I'll second Daimones.

message 17: by Carro (new)

Carro | 47 comments Geoffrey wrote: "I thought I knew my Tepper, but I'm uncertain based on the description, Carro. By any chance do you mean The Visitor?
"

Yes, that's it, The Visitor. Went and read the first chunk on Amazon and realised that what I remember the most vividly from reading it is the Nell Latimer sections rather than the Disme Latimer present day sections. The parts about how the apocalypse came to be so to speak.

So I nominate The Visitor by Sheri Tepper.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I've looked at The Book of Dave for a long time but never picked it up - and I enjoy The Visitor as well .... I will second Dave. :-)

message 19: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) I'll second Prophets of the Ghost Ants because it's gotten a lot of good ratings and it sounds, well, bizarre.

message 20: by Ch'kara (new)

Ch'kara SilverWolf (chkara) | 2 comments I would like to nominate Daimonesby Massimo Marino. It's a fantastic book loved every minute of it and am eagerly looking forward to the next one

message 21: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 89 comments JSWolf wrote: "Since my previous nomination wasn't accepted, I'm going to nominate The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

This time I'm sure it fits the theme."

We just need one person to second this. If you second this and need a second on your nomination, I'll do so.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll second The Visitor.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

OK! That looks like a good list. Happy New Year, y'all.

message 24: by David (new)

David Talbot | 11 comments Will second Hitchhiker's guide as I guess the world being blown up in the first few pages counts as an apocalypse!

message 25: by David (new)

David Talbot | 11 comments And I will nominate World War Z by Max Brooks

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 78 comments Mod
The poll for this is already up, and a second poll has been posted for the top two books.

message 27: by David (new)

David Talbot | 11 comments Ahh sorry, am new to this so still finding my way round!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

no worries. It happens to the best of us ...

message 29: by Dodie (new)

Dodie Reed (yarnwench) I seconded Flood by Steven Baxter on the 29th, is something wrong with my second or did you just miss it?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I missed it too, I think

message 31: by Darius (new)

Darius Jones I'll third or fourth Daimones by Massimo. When does the poll start?

message 32: by JSWolf (last edited Jan 06, 2013 01:55PM) (new)

JSWolf | 89 comments I think the poll that's up needs to be taken down in place of a new poll that includes Flood. It's the only fair way to do this. That means the main poll and the run-off poll are now invalid, but so be it given the need to add in Flood. Any winner in the run-off poll isn't a valid winner without Flood in the main poll.