The Sword and Laser discussion

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
2012 Reads > TH: Book vs the movie (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Greg | 83 comments I wanted to see some other views on the movie compared to the book and I figured this was the best place. Two things to start, one obviously the book is better then the movie. Two as we are comparing the two this will be full of spoilers.

I had two main issues with the changes made in the movie and the second probably builds off of the first. They changed Thorin to set up the end of the book and LOTR with a hatred of elves and others that didn't occur in The Hobbit, it completely changed their entrance to Rivendale, the time they had there and how they left and I feel was unfair to Thorin.
The second was them being chased by orcs the entire movie, it seemed to be just to add unneeded action to the story and I found it an annoying addition.

message 2: by Aethelberga (last edited Dec 29, 2012 03:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aethelberga | 35 comments They did add quite a lot to pad the movie into three, but it didn't really bother me. I saw the movie yesterday and was expecting to dislike it, but I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe I was just so happy to be back in Middle Earth. I found the dwarves much more three dimensional than they were in the book for one thing.

Redrosevertigo0 In the book Thorin has a dislike of elves but maybe not actual hatred. He doesn't trust them and thinks they are interested in only helping themselves.

After they kill The Head Goblin in Moria the goblins begin hunting them with the help of wargs. The "white orc" was, from what I can tell, a total fabrication but the goblins hunting them was in the book.

I was disappointed with how much violence was in the movie. I thought it would be appropriate for my co-worker's 6 and 7 year old boys but I will tell her not to take them to see it. If the movie had been closer to the book I think it would have been less violent. I was also really disappointed they didn't talk to the eagles.

Michael (michaeldiack) | 96 comments I loved the film and I agree, there was a lot of violence and dark scenes. The brief glimpse of the Necromencer, though brilliant, scared me a lit bit (makes me sound like a wuzz) but the point is I don't think it's a film suitable for all ages, like the book is. Still, as a lover of Tolkien it was so good to be drawn back into Middle-earth and to see the people and sights - the prologue was incredible and Erebor better than anything I had imagined. A great film and I'm sure, probably the weakest of the three given what is to come. I so wanted to see Smaug fully but they only glimpse him!

Alex C | 25 comments As an adult who hates children the lack of violence was disappointing for me although I don't expect much from pg-13.

The only scene I hated was the troll scene; It seems like 13 dwarfs should be able to kill 3 trolls, and the Bilbo hostage exchange didn't make any sense. They should have just let the trolls kill Bilbo, but instead they all agree to be eaten/killed including Bilbo. This must be the worst hostage exchange in the history of all fiction and non-fiction which is only resolved by some Deus ex machina.

Coan | 8 comments Alex wrote: "As an adult who hates children the lack of violence was disappointing for me although I don't expect much from pg-13.

The only scene I hated was the troll scene; It seems like 13 dwarfs should be ..."

I didn't care for the troll scene as it changed from the book. Ordinarily this wouldn't bother me but in the book the use of ventriloquism to get the Trolls to fight/bicker with each other is a classic use of brain over brawn and I always thought this a great scene/example for children. Instead we get a battle with the dwarves and Gandalf splitting a stone with magic. It's somewhat true to the book but I didn't find its changes value adding.

I found the movie entertaining, but the padding showed. I think two movies would be better paced than three. Would have liked some talking eagles rather than all the foreshadowing to Lord of the Rings which I don't think it needed.

It's not a bad movie though, quite entertaining and still good fantasy. I think I'll just see the two mediums as quite different (the movie 'based' on the Hobbit rather than a direct retelling I was thinking of).

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments The confusing thing to me about the troll scene in the movie is that Bilbo was still, more of less, playing for time. Playing for time is all well and good while everything is fine, but not so great when your friends are being roasted above a fire. Surely they would have been half-cooked by the time Gandalf showed up, or did I miss something where the fire wasn't properly lit or was somehow cooled or something? No one seemed too interested in helping them, anyway. The scene was very odd and out of place. I wasn't a great fan of the scene in the book either, but at least it worked there. I think the troll scene is probably the best example of why the film disappointed me; changes, I don't mind, but make changes that make sense!

W.R. Edmunds (wredmunds) | 28 comments There were a couple main issues I had with the book versus the movie outside of changes necessary to move from paper to screen.

The first is tone. Jackson randomly moves between the playful tone of The Hobbit and the somber tone of LOTR without any real warning. This is mostly because he is literally moving between material in The Hobbit and material in the appendices of LOTR (or that he made up).

The second is Thorin's story arc which seems to be completely tacked on by Jackson. First the hatred of the elves which I've seen mentioned, the second is the antagonist in the form of Agog. The first item was maybe stretched from his suspicion that everyone was after the dwarfish treasure. As for the second, Agog was killed in the battle mentioned at the end of the movie and then his son put in a (very) brief appearance at the end of the book during the battle for the Lonely Mountain and then was promptly killed.

This second point is what gave me the most trouble. The homunculus construction of Thorin's character added in eye rolling action scenes, pandering exposition, and ruined great material that IS in the book (the whole warg scene...).

After that I had some minor disappointment with dialogue not quite playing out how I imagined it(Bilbo's first meeting of Gandalf, the trolls), but that is more on a difference of interpretation which I can let slide.

All said, my friend's enjoyed the movie as much as I disliked it, so I would like to give it another chance. This time I will try to enjoy it for itself as opposed to going in expecting to see The Hobbit.